graham grayson game sat

ghs73

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody care to post a summary of Grayson's season to this point? Record, scores, strengths, etc.

Grayson is 4-1

Alleghany, NC 48-9 W

Chilhowie 35-21 W

Rural Retreat 48-19 W

Clintwood 7-49 L

Carroll Co. 45-20 W

Strengths would be QB play and receivers. Weaknesses would be overall defense. They try a small/quick philosophy on defense and the tendency has been for them to get somewhat manhandled this season. They do tend to cause a lot of turnovers though.

If Graham can protect the football, I would think it would be a comfortable win for them.

Prediction:

Graham 35

Grayson 20

Grayson almost exclusively 2 platoons....nice idea and concept but not sure it is feasible, think it hurts them at time as they do not have 22 "good" football players...probably more like 12-14

Graham only has 3 playing both ways, Hatfield,Thompson,and Benefield.

Big difference in having 3 play both ways when you have 60 players on the team. Grayson may have 25-30 varsity players, which shows the commitment to football in the county for a school with damn near 700 students.

Big difference in having 3 play both ways when you have 60 players on the team. Grayson may have 25-30 varsity players, which shows the commitment to football in the county for a school with damn near 700 students.

graham does not have 60 players nor close to 700 kids. more like 500 plus kids.

I think he meant Grayson has 700

i was going by the fact that he stated the 60 kids and that grayson had 25 - 30 kids that he was talking about graham. probably did take it wrong.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2011-13-final-plan-adopted.pdf

Please allow me to elaborate. According to the VHSL's own adopted documentation linked above for the school years 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, Grayson County High School has 628 students. They are loosing kids at alarming rates, however, and did approach 700 the previous 2 year cycle.

Graham may not have 60 kids playing football but will have double the number of kids on it's sideline Saturday than Grayson. For a school the size of Grayson, it has surprisingly low athletic participation. The 60 number was taken from the opening post in the link below from this very website.

http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23437&highlight=graham

I may have rounded numbers, but I am not as far off as you would like to make it seem!

Edited by sixcat

Please allow me to elaborate. According to the VHSL's own adopted documentation linked above for the school years 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, Grayson County High School has 628 students. They are loosing kids at alarming rates, however, and did approach 700 the previous 2 year cycle.

Graham may not have 60 kids playing football but will have double the number of kids on it's sideline Saturday than Grayson. For a school the size of Grayson, it has surprisingly low athletic participation. The 60 number was taken from the opening post in the link below from this very website.

I may have rounded numbers, but I am not as far off as you would like to make it seem!

looks like those numbers were from 2010 numbers

they have about 47 players on their team

looks like those numbers were from 2010 numbers

Still shows the drop in enrollment. According to the pdf inside the first link below, the enrollment was 657 in 2008-2009. According to the second link, enrollment is 589 for the current cycle. With an enrollment from the other link in my previous post of 628, they are loosing tons of kids.

The point is, they are not getting the kids involved in athletics. You will see Saturday, the stands and sidelines will be empty. The original point made by you was to compare Graham playing 3 players both ways and Grayson trying to not play any. Graham has an enrollment of 539 according to the most recent link below, with 53 players, they would have roughly 10% of the entire student body playing football. If Grayson has 25 players, and that is a big if, with an enrollment of 589 from the same document below, they would have 4% participation.

Huge difference. Just saying, its not an apples to apples comparison.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/18272894/VIRGINIA-HIGH-SCHOOL-LEAGUE-GROUP-AAA-2009-10-and-2010-11-Final

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2019-initial-proposed-2013-14-and-2014-15-R&R-alignment-plan.pdf

Still shows the drop in enrollment. According to the pdf inside the first link below, the enrollment was 657 in 2008-2009. According to the second link, enrollment is 589 for the current cycle. With an enrollment from the other link in my previous post of 628, they are loosing tons of kids.

The point is, they are not getting the kids involved in athletics. You will see Saturday, the stands and sidelines will be empty. The original point made by you was to compare Graham playing 3 players both ways and Grayson trying to not play any. Graham has an enrollment of 539 according to the most recent link below, with 53 players, they would have roughly 10% of the entire student body playing football. If Grayson has 25 players, and that is a big if, with an enrollment of 589 from the same document below, they would have 4% participation.

Huge difference. Just saying, its not an apples to apples comparison.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/18272894/VIRGINIA-HIGH-SCHOOL-LEAGUE-GROUP-AAA-2009-10-and-2010-11-Final

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2019-initial-proposed-2013-14-and-2014-15-R&R-alignment-plan.pdf

Graham had low numbers for the past few years..(about 30 to 35)..under the old coaches. Now there is enthusiasm around the program and the numbers are getting better. In years past, Graham would consistently have around 60 kids on the team.... However, most of the starters still played both ways....At least in the 35 or 40 years that I have been watching them.... Coach Williams is taking a different approach and so far, it's doing o.k.

That is great. I live in Galax and have seen first hand how a school system can bring an entire community together through sport. What has happened in Galax in the short time I have been here is amazing.

Grayson has some terrific athletes who never play beyond middle school. The community and administration seem to have an attitude of athletics being a drain on the system. It is sad because athletics can create an atmosphere where kids want to be in school. Have community and school pride. Dropout rates reduce tremendously, moral increases along with grades and more students seek higher education.

I said it before in a golf thread and I will say it again. Having Graham in the MED has and will continue to force the other member schools to raise the bar in athletics, and I for one am glad to have them.

That is great. I live in Galax and have seen first hand how a school system can bring an entire community together through sport. What has happened in Galax in the short time I have been here is amazing.

Grayson has some terrific athletes who never play beyond middle school. The community and administration seem to have an attitude of athletics being a drain on the system. It is sad because athletics can create an atmosphere where kids want to be in school. Have community and school pride. Dropout rates reduce tremendously, moral increases along with grades and more students seek higher education.

I said it before in a golf thread and I will say it again. Having Graham in the MED has and will continue to force the other member schools to raise the bar in athletics, and I for one am glad to have them.

I am also glad that Graham is in the MED! I will probably get shot down for this; however, I was one Graham fan that wanted to see the G-Men drop classification even in our "glory years" of football. Instead, Graham felt more competitive to "play up" a division despite its Group A sized enrollment.

I know that football brings in the big $$$ for any athletic program. I also know that Graham was always considered a "football school." However, by playing up a division I felt that the other sports at Graham suffered (disadvantaged) by playing up a classification. I always felt that this really had a direct hit on the girl's programs at GHS. A good example being the girls soccer team at Graham. This squad was successful year after year, but always over matched during regional play until this past year ... State runner-ups! There were also a couple of boy's basketball teams that ran into the classification wall as well.

Anyway, what is done is now done and the G-Men are in the MED. I, personally, think this was the best move and aligned ALL Graham sports into a more size comparable competition bracket. When one team can force other teams to raise the bar ALL teams win and this is evidenced this year in the good ol' MED. Go G-Men!

I am also glad that Graham is in the MED! I will probably get shot down for this; however, I was one Graham fan that wanted to see the G-Men drop classification even in our "glory years" of football. Instead, Graham felt more competitive to "play up" a division despite its Group A sized enrollment.

I know that football brings in the big $$$ for any athletic program. I also know that Graham was always considered a "football school." However, by playing up a division I felt that the other sports at Graham suffered (disadvantaged) by playing up a classification. I always felt that this really had a direct hit on the girl's programs at GHS. A good example being the girls soccer team at Graham. This squad was successful year after year, but always over matched during regional play until this past year ... State runner-ups! There were also a couple of boy's basketball teams that ran into the classification wall as well.

Anyway, what is done is now done and the G-Men are in the MED. I, personally, think this was the best move and aligned ALL Graham sports into a more size comparable competition bracket. When one team can force other teams to raise the bar ALL teams win and this is evidenced this year in the good ol' MED. Go G-Men!

I agree with everything that you have said. Graham still has their rivalry games with Richlands, Tazewell and Bluefield...Giles will be added next season... all of those teams have good followings and bring in good gates, plus the competition in the MED has proven to be more than challenging. (not just in football), It's an awesome schedule.

I agree with everything that you have said. Graham still has their rivalry games with Richlands, Tazewell and Bluefield...Giles will be added next season... all of those teams have good followings and bring in good gates, plus the competition in the MED has proven to be more than challenging. (not just in football), It's an awesome schedule.

1:30 kickoff right?

The administration in Grayson from the top down is absolutely clueless when it comes to football and the importance it can play in a community......with new admin. changes it doesnt seem that attitude and disregard for football will be changeing anytime soon. They will falling further behind Glax,Fort and Graham who have all upgraded facitlites and made other strong committments to football.

The administration in Grayson from the top down is absolutely clueless when it comes to football and the importance it can play in a community......with new admin. changes it doesnt seem that attitude and disregard for football will be changeing anytime soon. They will falling further behind Glax,Fort and Graham who have all upgraded facitlites and made other strong committments to football.

Sad to hear! As I have said here before ... nothing brings a community together more than a successful high school football team! Grayson County was highly regarded last year. Did they have a large fan base, and community support, with last years success?