graham grayson game sat

ghs73

Before the season began, I looked at Graham's very tough non-district schedule and thought the G-Men would be 2-3 at best. I concluded that Bluefield, Richlands, and Princeton would defeat the G-Men. I also thought that the Marion game could go either way ... which it well could have. I would not have been surprised to see a 1-4 mark in reality. I think that most Graham fans could see this possibility as well. All I wanted was for the team to improve from last year and to me that would have been both progress and success. New coach+different direction takes time. I feared that the Graham fan base might be expecting a little too much to fast.

Now at 4-1, Graham has another opportunity to silence some more critics when Grayson County comes calling. Lets not forget that Grayson defeated Graham twice last year (regular season and first round of playoffs). Now, if that is not reason for revenge I do not know what is! Plus, the Grayson attitude that Graham is "pampered" by arriving in style on a chartered bus.

Graham has the opportunity this Saturday to show the rest of the MED, and the rest of the state, that the G-Men have indeed arrived. A little early perhaps but certainly not late! As the old saying goes ... "the early bird gets the worm." Go G-Men!

Graham 30

Grayson County 18

Edited by starcityfootballfan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grayson almost exclusively 2 platoons....nice idea and concept but not sure it is feasible, think it hurts them at time as they do not have 22 "good" football players...probably more like 12-14

and to this one i do not think i brought up the 3 players playing both ways i was responding to these posts.

Sad to hear! As I have said here before ... nothing brings a community together more than a successful high school football team! Grayson County was highly regarded last year. Did they have a large fan base, and community support, with last years success?

The only game they filled the stands was hosting Galax to close the season which is their border and biggest rivalry. There is a lot of resentment toward Galax for what it has been able to build over the past 5 years with its athletics. I think that community wants something it can support and would support the football team if the administration would stop standing in the way.

I was on hand for the 8th grade and JV football games there in early September and the field was atrocious. Very little grass, maybe 50% of the field was river sand that had been dumped to cover the hardpan and very little grass.

Sixcat...you ought to see the inside of the Press Box....the bleachers are literally crumbling to the ground

All of this is sad to hear. Wait until they get their first glimpse of Mitchell Stadium tomorrow afternoon. They will most likely think they are at the Super Bowl!

All of this is sad to hear. Wait until they get their first glimpse of Mitchell Stadium tomorrow afternoon. They will most likely think they are at the Super Bowl!

I'm counting on the first trip to Mitchell for Grayson to be at least a one TD advantage for Graham.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...Grayson has: 1) never played at Mitchell Stadium; 2) never played on fake grass anywhere.

Grayson's field sucks!

Yes, it does... and it slopes on one end... does it still have that little concrete slab on one sideline that sticks out into the field a little bit...what the heck is that for, anyway? Been there to watch soccer a few times and noticed that...

I'm counting on the first trip to Mitchell for Grayson to be at least a one TD advantage for Graham.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...Grayson has: 1) never played at Mitchell Stadium; 2) never played on fake grass anywhere.

You are right! This is Grayson County's first visit to Mitchell Stadium. Hope you are right about the one touchdown advantage for Graham.

Sixcat...you ought to see the inside of the Press Box....the bleachers are literally crumbling to the ground

Coach McPherson was telling us that, sadly, the press box and grandstands are in worse shape than the field. That is truly saying a lot since the field is missing grass.

The coaches and kids deserve better from their community and administration.

Clintwood defeated Grayson ...49-7....was Graham overrated..or just had an off day? Also good thing is that Clintwood gets power points from Grayson's win:)

Graham showed their youth is all I can say. Expectations at the beginning of the season were for a 6-4, maybe 7-3 team at best...that may still be the case. They probably are still a year or 2 away from being competitive with the top teams in the Western Section. But, they have still been a pleasant surprise, so far... Grayson out played and outcoached them, I don't think there are any excuses. I'm very happy with the progress they've made in the last year or so, however.

As far as having an off day?... who knows, the atmosphere was different....saturday afternoon, the band wasn't there (away at a competition), the crowd was small for a home game (bad weather)...they seemed a little flat....but Grayson controlled the line of scrimmage and that was ultimately the difference.

Edited by futbolking