will the upstart knock off the old guard?

cwood78

I really believe that Battle can win, but it's going to be one heck of a game. GC's not in a comfortable place right now and they'll fight tooth and nail to defend their home turf. Not to mention that it's their homecoming. Either way, I think it's going to be a close game, maybe by a touchdown or less.

i know theres gonna be some devil pride, workin here...at home....john battle, still sky hi after knocking off abingdon........... J.B. in for a little let down, or gonna take down the "old guard"... J.B. 20- G.C. 17

I still ain't bought into Battle being as good as their record. May be wrong on this one but beat GC and I will believe. GC has been battle tested now it will show. Virginia high had them beat and didn't even score an offensive TD. So I guess either Battle is as good as said which means VHS record doesn't show how good they are or the exact opposite. I guess we all will see Friday night. Good luck to both teams but I will be pulling for the underdog. Go Blue!

Virginia high had them beat and didn't even score an offensive TD. So I guess either Battle is as good as said which means VHS record doesn't show how good they are or the exact opposite

Exactly why we're chomping at the bit for the possibility of the stars aligning and us playing Battle in a rematch in the playoffs

I still ain't bought into Battle being as good as their record. May be wrong on this one but beat GC and I will believe. GC has been battle tested now it will show. Virginia high had them beat and didn't even score an offensive TD. So I guess either Battle is as good as said which means VHS record doesn't show how good they are or the exact opposite. I guess we all will see Friday night. Good luck to both teams but I will be pulling for the underdog. Go Blue!

sometimes you are better off lucky than good...Battle seems to have a little of both going on right now.

Exactly why we're chomping at the bit for the possibility of the stars aligning and us playing Battle in a rematch in the playoffs

I would love to see that matchup. Everyone always says "well, if such and such played today, it'd be a different story." It very well could be, who knows? I just hope we don't run into a team in the first round like last year.

I would love to see that matchup. Everyone always says "well, if such and such played today, it'd be a different story." It very well could be, who knows? I just hope we don't run into a team in the first round like last year.

They should get a much easier draw first round this year. Should be about a 0% chance they don't win a playoff game.

I've seen blow out predictions going both ways for this one....... The only way this game will get ugly is if either team believes it'll be easy.

Make no mistake about it..the CMD title goes through Gate City. They've owned it from day 1 of the CMD.....They're not going to just hand over that title without a fight.....especially at Legion Field. Gate City will play their best football game of the year Friday Night.

On that note, the Trojans expect a knock down drag out game for 4 quarters. The thing that I hope they can overcome...is Legion Field and the name on the front of those Blue Jerseys. That alone has beat alot of teams through the years. They have to know that they're playing the 2012 devils...not the 1997, 2002, 2007 or 2010 Devils. They cant let tradition beat them.

On another note.... JSB played their worst game of the season against VHS. VHS is improving though so who knows. I think at JSB's best and VHS's best.... Trojans are 14-21 points better. Thats no shot at VHS, they're just young. VHS has a chance to be special over the next couple of years. They're sort of taking the path that we did at Battle with this current SR class. These kids played on Varsity from day 1 and it's paying off now.

I've seen blow out predictions going both ways for this one....... The only way this game will get ugly is if either team believes it'll be easy.

Make no mistake about it..the CMD title goes through Gate City. They've owned it from day 1 of the CMD.....They're not going to just hand over that title without a fight.....especially at Legion Field. Gate City will play their best football game of the year Friday Night.

On that note, the Trojans expect a knock down drag out game for 4 quarters. The thing that I hope they can overcome...is Legion Field and the name on the front of those Blue Jerseys. That alone has beat alot of teams through the years. They have to know that they're playing the 2012 devils...not the 1997, 2002, 2007 or 2010 Devils. They cant let tradition beat them.

On another note.... JSB played their worst game of the season against VHS. VHS is improving though so who knows. I think at JSB's best and VHS's best.... Trojans are 14-21 points better. Thats no shot at VHS, they're just young. VHS has a chance to be special over the next couple of years. They're sort of taking the path that we did at Battle with this current SR class. These kids played on Varsity from day 1 and it's paying off now.

So far, this team has overcome the mental part of the games they've played by beating VHS and Abingdon. Those were always tough mental games because of the record between them and Battle. Though GC is definitely a tougher mental challenge not only because of the record between them and Battle, but because they're so much better than AHS and VHS.

I really wish they'd move the VHS game to a later date in the season. That way, both teams would have more games under their belt and would be playing at or near their best. I think it'd make a really great homecoming game.

so,when did gate city get good?over night?last i heard they were awful this year.jb might have a fluke game but not friday..battle by alot

Gate City's record does not reflect how good they really are. Look who they've played: Richlands, Sullivan South, Harlan County, Bluefield, and Lebanon. I'd say that most teams in SWVA would be 1-4 or even worse with that schedule. I don't know HOW good they are this year. Obviously they're down from years past. Their numbers can tell you that. And they've been hit with injuries this year as well. I believe this game could help determine just how good both teams really are this year.

IMO, Battle's best win (Burton) isn't much more impressive than GC's win (Lebanon). Both Burton and Lebanon are down....switch the GC and Battle schedules and GC is undefeated and Battle has a lone win. GC has played the toughest teams this year, while Battle's schedule has been soft. That being said, GC wins at home this Friday.

Legion field has been a tough place to play since the dark ages, but after watching Battle play last friday I'll be suprised if Gate City blows them away.

For me, as a visitor, the atmosphere is the greatest when you aren't hearing "the train whistle blow"--lol

Life has many choices---eternity two

For me, as a visitor, the atmosphere is the greatest when you aren't hearing "the train whistle blow"--lol

Life has many choices---eternity two

I'm just glad I won't be in the visitor's stands (I'll be in the press box). With Battle being 6-0 and it being GC's homecoming, there's going to be a lot of shoving going on with people trying to find seats, especially since GC takes up half the visitor's side. I don't know what they're going to do if our band shows up.

IMO, Battle's best win (Burton) isn't much more impressive than GC's win (Lebanon). Both Burton and Lebanon are down....switch the GC and Battle schedules and GC is undefeated and Battle has a lone win. GC has played the toughest teams this year, while Battle's schedule has been soft. That being said, GC wins at home this Friday.

I think this post by SB is dead on... plus your playing at Gate City... I am going with GC by 10 points here... If Nick Bowen has a good passing night ..this will be the difference..

This is one of those games where one team (Battle) has everything to lose and the other team (Gate City) has everything to gain. This is the nature of the beast in high school football. The traditional powers have a let down, or rebuilding season, and an "upstart" comes along and makes waves in the media and its respective community. This is a good thing and it always manages to give a basically dormant program a well deserved spotlight. Nothing bands a community together more than a successful high school team. No doubt the Blue Devil crowd, and team, will be ready for this one. However, this is Battle's well deserved year and the Trojans will find a way to keep everything just as it is ... rolling!

Battle 24

Gate City 20