Abingdon at Carroll co.

FALCON

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Abingdon/Battle game last Friday. When I saw Abingdon warm up and play in the first quarter, I was asking those around me why they were not winning more games. They have a lot of talent and some pretty good size on the field. Is it coaching or is it something else? It looked to me that they have some pretty good football players. I can only conclude that the coaching may not be up to par.

I watched the Abingdon/Battle game last Friday. When I saw Abingdon warm up and play in the first quarter, I was asking those around me why they were not winning more games. They have a lot of talent and some pretty good size on the field. Is it coaching or is it something else? It looked to me that they have some pretty good football players. I can only conclude that the coaching may not be up to par.

DIng Ding Ding...we have a winner. Anytime a team is losing to the third ranked team in the state by 3 points with 50 seconds left in the half and you have the best kicker in the state...well, you do your best to at least set up a field goal try. If you don't make it then you say..."okay guys, we are only down by three to this highly ranked team at half...we are doing okay".....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....we have to call a pass play into double coverage resulting in a pick 6 and being down 10 at half. Talk about deflating. To be perfectly honest, our play calling was horiffic....as has been the case all year. Am I saying that we would have won with different play calling? No. Would the game have been a LOT closer with better play calling...AB-SO-LUTE-LY. I know for a fact we would have won at least one more game this year with better play calling. We truly have some great athletes on this team...and we have some that are playing that shouldn't be. In crucial positions. But the biggest problem we have is our coaching.

Think about this....we lost Va High because of 2 blocked punts and a pick 6....our defense didn't give up a point...and JSB barely beat Va High. We lost to Chilhowie because a missed XP and again, horrible play calling. These are all aspects of the game, I realize....but WE never once practiced blocking for a punt....NEVER (in the preseason). I know you guys don't care...as long as AHS is losing you are all happy. But wouldn't you rather play an AHS team that has top notch coaching as opposed to well below par coaching? What's the fun in beating a team that isn't good? It doesn't make YOUR team any better. Bottom line, we have TONS of talent....as its called in these parts "a shit ton" of talent. Let me finish by saying this...why do our 8th grade and JV teams always do VERY well...and then the varsity goes sub .500....the only viable option is coaching. Okay, I'm off my soap box.

I absolutely would rather play a good Falcon team. Most of the negative post are all in fun because of the old basement fart duo (southbound and falconman). Its just like another SWVA team we all no of; ITS THE COACHING!

I just don't understand why people in power don't want a successful football program. It is such a money maker for the entire community. It is truly amazing how much money the Richlands football program generates.

Maybe the Falcon community will rise up and demand change soon. I really hope you guys can get a complete change for the good in your football program. The other sports programs speak for themselves.

I absolutely would rather play a good Falcon team. Most of the negative post are all in fun because of the old basement fart duo (southbound and falconman). Its just like another SWVA team we all no of; ITS THE COACHING!

I just don't understand why people in power don't want a successful football program. It is such a money maker for the entire community. It is truly amazing how much money the Richlands football program generates.

Maybe the Falcon community will rise up and demand change soon. I really hope you guys can get a complete change for the good in your football program. The other sports programs speak for themselves.

you could not be talking graham because yea we had problems with a coach but proved we were right for wanting to find another coach now look at graham.

So the best kicker in the state missed an xp that cost you a win?

You must have mis-read....I said we missed an XP and again, the coaching. So no, the best kicker in the state's XP didn't COST us the game...but because of the miss we lost. If you don't know anything about him, you will see him plenty when we play you (RHS)...I am sure we will be in plenty of punting situations.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly....but talent doesn't just disappear.

It seemed to be that way at Battle for a long time, lol. 8th grade used to go undefeated or near it almost every year while varsity struggled. Now, 8th grade is down, but varsity is up.

Maybe if he played for someone besides Abingdon he would get the respect he deserves from the swva folks.

Why don't YOU be the change you want to see? Serious question.

The truth of the matter is, we have enough talent to win at least 5-6 games. Even with the poor coaching that we have. Not only are they/he sub par in coaching, but really sub par in position/talent recognition. Right now I can think of 5 starting positions where we have MUCH better (proven) people to play those spots. Poor talent managemet along with mediocre coaching is a recipe for losses.

Here is a direct quote from an unnamed coach after watching the Battle/Abingdon game on film for scouting purposes. He went Bear Bryant on me by saying " Abingdon is slower than smoke off s*^t.

Not going to speak on anyone's coaching...but they just dont have much team speed.

They need to be more of a power running team with a good play action/screen game. The thing about that is...Abingdon isnt usually known for producing tough, physical kids which is a nice thing to have if you're run oriented team.

I do agree that given their schedule, 4-6 wins is possible. The down side of that is that you get a low seed in the playoffs with that record and are completely overmatched in the Division 4 playoffs.

Edited by battleftbl

Lightfoot and Hess are plenty fast enough. Lightfoot is a track star. They have talent on that team. They just don't seem to use it correctly.

You are right bugs. And you can count how many times Lightfoot carried the ball that game on one hand. We try to go to Hess so often that DB's just key on him. On that pick 6 just before half we had two guys wide open across the middle...w.i.d.e. o.p.e.n. and we throw into double coverage to Hess. The crux of it all is, why throw it at that point? We had at least 2 timeouts left....run Lightfoot on a sweep 2-3 times and get into field goal position...tie it at half, gain some confidence and come out in the 2nd half jacked up. If Lightfoot isn't successful on the sweeps you still prevented a turnover and go into the locker room down just 3 to the 3rd ranked team. Not bad. Momentum is huge at this level. Again, I'm not saying we would have won, JSB is tough this year, but it would have been a closer game. Hess is a seriously talented kid with wheels and moves and we have YET to use him where he would help us the most. We have a soph QB that is lights out but hasn't been given his fair shake. We HAVE the talent and the speed...now, somebody find us a coach.

Here is a direct quote from an unnamed coach after watching the Battle/Abingdon game on film for scouting purposes. He went Bear Bryant on me by saying " Abingdon is slower than smoke off s*^t.

Not going to speak on anyone's coaching...but they just dont have much team speed.

They need to be more of a power running team with a good play action/screen game. The thing about that is...Abingdon isnt usually known for producing tough, physical kids which is a nice thing to have if you're run oriented team.

I do agree that given their schedule, 4-6 wins is possible. The down side of that is that you get a low seed in the playoffs with that record and are completely overmatched in the Division 4 playoffs.

We have enough speed...your coach just didn't get to see it BECAUSE of our coaching.