Battle vs Giles

battleftbl

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to the locals (of which i'm one of), but... Battle overrated. Giles rolls. Simple as that. Battle has cool uniforms, though.

Upset Shocker....Coach Wright and the Battle Trogans put a clamp on the Giles offense and take this one 21 -14!

No offense to the locals (of which i'm one of), but... Battle overrated. Giles rolls. Simple as that. Battle has cool uniforms, though.

Giles wins in the uniform department too. Their uniforms are awesome and the logo is one of my favorites! sorry Battle

Giles wins in the uniform department too. Their uniforms are awesome and the logo is one of my favorites! sorry Battle

Classics.

I am pulling for JSB since they're the more local team to me, but it's hard to pull against an old school, tradition rich bunch like Giles. Watched them play at Bullit in the early 90's.

Classics.

I am pulling for JSB since they're the more local team to me, but it's hard to pull against an old school, tradition rich bunch like Giles. Watched them play at Bullit in the early 90's.

Does Giles still run that old school offense they did against Powell Valley?

Giles may win...but I'd be shocked if they score more than 21-28 points. Coach Wright may be the best X's and O's coach in SWVA...... they'll have a solid gameplan to slow down the Giles offense.

I expect a close, hard fought ball game on Battle Hill. BTW, It will be played Friday Night at 7:30

My senior year of HS was spent at VHS. The week of the Region C championship game I had a conversation with some players from JB.

Ever played against the single wing?

No but we've watch their film the last couple days.

You're screwed.

That convo would fit just as well today as it did then. Giles rolls. This Battle team has a better O than the one in 98 so they might keep it close for a little longer but the only teams Battle has played with comparible D's is Honaker and VHS.

Giles 38, JB 14

Giles may win...but I'd be shocked if they score more than 21-28 points. Coach Wright may be the best X's and O's coach in SWVA...... they'll have a solid gameplan to slow down the Giles offense.

I expect a close, hard fought ball game on Battle Hill. BTW, It will be played Friday Night at 7:30

The wing looks completely different on the field. X's and O's are great, but the main thing is the defense has to play disciplined and read their keys. Even still, Giles' brings one of the best O-lines around year in, year out. They just flat out execute. So much fun to watch until you have to play against it lol.

By NO means am I saying it can't be stopped. I will say, however, that holding to that bunch to 30 or less is much easier said than done.

I tell this story every time Giles is mentioned,

when they came to Haysi in '05 we were setting on on their end of the field during warmups and alot of us younger guys had never seen the Singlewing. We were watchin them warm up(linemen and backs seperate), so were just watchin the backs and we had heard all about how incredibe the SW is. Well they ran 3-4 plays from their power series and we were following the ball and laughing about how "this was no big deal" and "yeah they are good but we can handle this", then they ran something from their misdirection series and I still dont know where the ball is!

Like gwloyal says, watch your keys and hold your gaps. I wouldnt even try to follow the ball cause your not gonna find it.

If I could get off work thats the game I would be at. Its a special thing to watch Giles play

I tell this story every time Giles is mentioned,

when they came to Haysi in '05 we were setting on on their end of the field during warmups and alot of us younger guys had never seen the Singlewing. We were watchin them warm up(linemen and backs seperate), so were just watchin the backs and we had heard all about how incredibe the SW is. Well they ran 3-4 plays from their power series and we were following the ball and laughing about how "this was no big deal" and "yeah they are good but we can handle this", then they ran something from their misdirection series and I still dont know where the ball is!

Like gwloyal says, watch your keys and hold your gaps. I wouldnt even try to follow the ball cause your not gonna find it.

If I could get off work thats the game I would be at. Its a special thing to watch Giles play

LOL I can relate to that story. It is a special thing to watch those guys. I'll always be a "GW Loyal", but I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for the Giles' program. Pure class and tradition.

If people dont remember....Bath County used to run the single wing to perfection also. In the early 2000's they went away from it in favor of the Splitback veer offense. It's a hard offense to prepare for, because it's almost impossible to expect your 2nd team to simulate it in practice.

You're correct that Bath used to run the single wing. Also, Northwood has here lately along with James Monroe, WV. But the only ones I've seen that could/can run it, and execute it at its most complicated is Giles. Watching Bath and Northwood, and even JM, was like watching a 8th and 9th grade team run it compared to these guys. Then again, that's what happens when kids run one offense from the time they learn what a football is till they're seniors in HS.

You do realize that Bath used to run it as good as Giles. It won Bath a few state championships and got them to the semifinals a few more times. In the later years...it wasnt so pretty because they didnt have the type of kids to run it.......which is why they switched to a splitback veer. In 1989, they had 3 1000 yard rushers....Undefeated season until a 5-5 Appy team upset them in the semifinals.

You do realize that Bath used to run it as good as Giles. It won Bath a few state championships and got them to the semifinals a few more times. In the later years...it wasnt so pretty because they didnt have the type of kids to run it.......which is why they switched to a splitback veer. In 1989, they had 3 1000 yard rushers....Undefeated season until a 5-5 Appy team upset them in the semifinals.

Trust me I saw Bath run it and in NO WAY do they run the single wing the same way Giles does...they didn't even line up the same us Giles

I agree that Bath didnt run the wing like Giles. But they ran their version of it to perfection. IMO, later on they were very predictable also. In the 1997 semifinal game against them, we keyed the FB every play....and he took us to the ball. I'm not sure how noone else figured that out during the season. lol