Folks in 15 states file petitions to secede

Rhschamps04

I honestly doubt anything will come of it more people just trying to get attention i believe. However has anyone ever thought of what would actually happen if a state did secede it had never crossed my mind but if one state and its public decide to leave what would happen?

http://now.msn.com/15-states-start-petitons-to-leave-the-usa

However has anyone ever thought of what would actually happen if a state did secede it had never crossed my mind but if one state and its public decide to leave what would happen?

Well if history is any indicator, the U.S. Federal Government would march their armed forces into whatever states seceded, defeat whatever resistance they were met with, destroy the states infrastructure and ability to sustain itself, and finally occupy those states until all freedom of choice and will to fight is gone. I think that about sums it up.

Well if history is any indicator, the U.S. Federal Government would march their armed forces into whatever states seceded, defeat whatever resistance they were met with, destroy the states infrastructure and ability to sustain itself, and finally occupy those states until all freedom of choice and will to fight is gone. I think that about sums it up.

This.

I doubt it would take them as long this time. In the War Between the States, the Union said they were going to do it over night and took over five years.

I watched a show on History a couple of months ago about Texas wanting to drop out, and basically, in theory, there is zero chance of it ever happening. There is no way an independent state could ever make it in todays world.

Another interesting point...IF something this radical were to actually happen, how would it shape the divide? You could potentially have the northeast with the west coast as one and everything in the middle as another. How would that work?

Not like it would actually happen but there is always the what if factor.

Obama has already done that to all 50....I couldn't resist lol

If one takes into consideration state sovereignty the possibility of secession is within the right of the state. However, we all know the story about the Civil War.

Could a state survive independently in todays world? Absolutley, the economy of Texas could function profitably in the world economy, the problem would be defense initially and naturally the resistance from the US Federal Govt.

But if it were permitted, a state could function outside of the United States of America, IMO.

If one takes into consideration state sovereignty the possibility of secession is within the right of the state. However, we all know the story about the Civil War.

Could a state survive independently in todays world? Absolutley, the economy of Texas could function profitably in the world economy, the problem would be defense initially and naturally the resistance from the US Federal Govt.

But if it were permitted, a state could function outside of the United States of America, IMO.

I actually agree. I think a state could actually survive, and thrive, in the international community.

Ha! There's a page on wikipedia dedicated to where states of the USA would fall in order globally in terms of GDP. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

This pretty much makes my point.

Obviously, a state with 25.7 million residents (Texas) isn't going to be challenging countries with 10x-40x its population in terms of GDP. Texas would rank just behind Canada and ahead of Turkey (both first-world nations) at 15th. Virginia would rank just ahead of Sweden (the country many misguided Lefties look toward as a model) in 31st.

There are a few states that are diversified enough to make it on their own. The fact that Texas is landlocked hurts it. VA could make it on its own.

Texas is landlocked? Tell that to the folks in Houston and Galveston. The beaches of Padre Island must be on a lake.

If any state could exist on their own, I'd think it would be Texas. I saw somewhere where they have their own power grid (that'd be a start I think). They've also got that independent mentality.

There are three power grids in the US, east, west, and Texas...

It happens to the best of us. Today I just couldn't resist the low hanging fruit.

I made it pretty easy!

I`m really surprised no one has started one for Virginia yet.

I was really suprised that that hasnt happened yet. But as a whole the state tends to be pretty open minded and moderate(in comparison to states such as Texas) so I really dont know if a petition would be that popular.