Decision on Schools tomorrow?

I have 2 kids that go to 2 different local systems....One in Tazewell Co...and one in Mercer Co....

I work out of town (about an hour drive)....

What are the odds that the school systems will make a decision early enough for a person to make arrangements to get their kids to school...or to get them to a friend or relative who can watch them during the day, while they go to work?

My guess is they'll send them to school.....call school off early....and everybody will be scrambling to make arrangements for their kids to be picked up....

What is everybody elses' thoughts?

My guess is they'll send them to school.....call school off early....and everybody will be scrambling to make arrangements for their kids to be picked up....

What is everybody elses' thoughts?

sounds about the normal operating procedure.

Haha, was thinking the same thing here, but we're getting some sleet mixed in to, its very close to changing over. Got to get the entire layer cooled down. Temp at the Jonesville radio station 34 right now. Snow being reported over the higher elevations like Wise. Temps around 30-32 up there now.

Some sleet mixing in here, but still mostly rain.

Yep, pretty good sleet coming down outside the office...just had to walk down to the mailbox in the crap. Kinda starting to freeze on the pavement too.

Turned over here in Lee within the past hour. Roads in the area saw a bit of a flash freeze too and that's not helping out any. Its apparently really bad in Wise. Having the same issues as with the Dec. '09 storm with people getting stuck and abandoning their cars in the roads, which creates the problem with plows not being able to get through. Another reason to stay off the roads. A lot of wrecks all around the region.

I left the office at 2 and got home at 3:30...usually takes 30 minutes. Had a county deputy spin out in front of me just past Ramey's. Then there was a huge jam on that first hill...sat in traffic for about 20 minutes before it moved then it was 30mph, bumper to bumper to Bluefield. Lots of vehicles in the ditches/off the side of the road. Got into Bluefield and Bland Road looked like a bumper car ride so I "went up the mountain" beside Wendy's to get home...fun ride coming down the hill on Longview!

Just measured 6-7" in the front yard at 2600' here and still pouring. My tire tracks in the driveway already have an inch of new snow in them.

And its still pouring!

The radar shows an extremely juiced atmosphere for several more hours. We could end up with 12"+.

I measured at 5:00 and we had 7" and we really havent had any accumulation since and its just abrely comming down now. Were just above 2000 feet. We still have power(obviously) but alot of communities around already have outages.

10" in Coeburn and 9.5 in Wise

Snow ending pretty quickly across the area west to east. Already cleared some of the western counties. Radars some light returns over Lee, Wise, Dickenson, Buchanan, and such, but a lot of that isn't reaching the ground for many other than maybe some in the higher terrain. With the skies clearing out overnight and the snow pack, it should get pretty cold and roads will be probably still be iced over in the morning.

I measured at least 6 inches at my house about an hour ago....and I live between exits 5 and 7 not far from Lee Highway. Even the major roads are completely covered. Also found out that karma is for real. While me and a friend were riding the backroads in his truck, I was pointing out that all the people getting stuck were in Dodges, Jeeps, and Fords and his Toyota wouldn't do that. About a minute later, we went into the ditch and had to be pulled out, lol. We even tried to stop and ask a guy walking in the snow if he needed a ride, but as we were about to pull up beside of him (my friend already had the window down, waving the guy down) we started sliding down the road. We just told the guy we'd talk to him when we stop as we just slid right by him. Talk about awkward.