Graham vs Beaver

frito gonzales

I can't remember it being so quiet around town about this game so close to game time. Just wondering what people are thinking about this game. I personally think Graham will surprise Bluefield again. I do believe it will be close. Just hope I can find my way into the stadium.

I think things will heat up on here after the scrimmages. Not sure what Graham, has but replacing Spencer Sheets will be tough. Bluefield will be missing one of their key stars for the game, perhaps the year. I think after this weekend, Graham and Bluefield fans will have a better idea of what kind of team they have.

Did Bluefield scrimmage yesterday (Saturday)? I heard they were going to, but have not seen anything about it. It's just painfully quiet on the Bluefield front, which either means they're incredibly loaded (which I don't think), or things are a little rough. I know they only have one returning OL starter, and possibly missing a playmaker due to legal issues, and I wonder if they have what it takes this year.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

August 17, 2013

Offensive potential, defensive improvement shown by Beavers

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — D.J. Edwards won a state championship in basketball last March. He wants that feeling again, this time on a cold December night in Wheeling.

“I want these football players to feel that feeling because it is the best feeling in the world,†Edwards said.

The drive to what Edwards hopes is Bluefield’s 11th state football championship continued in the first of two preseason scrimmages on Saturday at Mitchell Stadium, in what has become an annual affair between the Beavers and Christiansburg.

“We needed (a scrimmage) and I think they needed one, and we love coming up here to Mitchell Stadium,†said Christiansburg head coach Tim Cromer, on how the relationship began. “We had played Graham for a while and they got away from playing us and we just picked them up and we have a great relationship with them.â€

Football was in the air with a cool breeze blowing, pads popping, whistles blowing and a couple of hundreds spectators watching from the bleachers.

“It was great, they came and supported us and these guys,†Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said. “I think they are going to give them something to be proud of, they have worked hard and they are going to play hard.â€

The development that was most apparent since last year’s 9-3 campaign was Edwards — who had started at quarterback the previous two seasons — moving to running back, with junior R.J. Bourne taking his place behind center.

“It was hard to start off with, but now I think I have it down, looking at the holes and hitting them hard,†Edwards said. “R.J. can throw the ball, he can get it to us, I will go anywhere and play, I want to win a state championship in football.â€

Simon wasn’t surprised to see Edwards willing to do what is best for the Beavers.

“He has a great attitude,†Simon said. “He is willing to help the team wherever he has got to help, that is what makes so valuable.â€

The scrimmage included a junior varsity and varsity segment for the first two hours, and then a pair of 12-minute quarters to complete the three hours on the field.

“It’s great, we have been ready to do some things,†Simon said. “We have been playing against each other and practicing and it is time to go get somebody else...I know we have got a long ways to go, but I am pleased.â€

Edwards, who is also an All-Class AA defensive back, would agree, as the Beavers prepare for the season opener with Graham closing in on Aug. 30.

“It feels good, we have been hitting up on each other all summer,†Edwards said. “It feels good to come out and battle somebody else...

“They beat us up last year, we came back and beat them up this year.â€

Bluefield unveiled a potent backfield combination, with the speedy Edwards and D.J. Stewart joined in the backfield by 6-foot-4, 233-pound Corey Coppola, who dashed 51 yards for a touchdown in the second of the two quarters to help the Beavers out-score the Blue Demons 9-7.

“(Corey) has got nice speed in the open field, he really does,†Simon said. “He finds an extra gear and he is a big body.â€

“They are very good, they are physical, they are big,†added Cromer. “They are fast when they need to be fast, they are physical when they need to be physical. They are well coached, this is a great scrimmage for us, that is why we like to scrimmage them.â€

Bourne displayed a strong arm at quarterback, although the junior signal-caller did have three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown.

“We moved the ball, but we turned it over,†Simon said. “We had interceptions, fumbles, every time, the first drive we had a fumble inside the 10, but overall I was pleased with what we did.â€

Justin Carter and Brandon Lilly showed the ability to catch the football.

“Our snaps were down a little bit, but we found a way to overcome the scrimmage a little bit,†Simon said. “They have got a good team, they are good defensively too so we had a good scrimmage.â€

The offensive line, which includes four new starters, had to deal with a solid defense that includes nine returnees, but held up well under pressure, giving Edwards confidence for the coming season.

“It will be tough to stop us. All of us are averaging up in the 200s (pounds) so it is hard to stop that running the ball,†Edwards said. “They were looking good, working all week in practice so I see improvement in the line.â€

Bluefield had a 9-3 record in 2012, but the defense was torched for much of the season. The potential was there for improvement against an offense that largely stuck to the ground against the Beavers.

“I think we are (better), I think I heard a lot of pads clicking and I am pleased with that,†Simon said.

“That is all we have worked on all season,†added Edwards. “Everybody after practice, before practice, triple-overtime, all that, we are just trying to get better.â€

Among the standouts were linebacker Daniel Barker, who had one of the biggest hits of the day, and defensive back Jordan Masterson, who didn’t play last year, but was all over the field making plays in this one. So was Brennan Wheeler, who has transferred back to Bluefield from Graham,

“They came in and did a nice job,†Simon said.

Christiansburg, which finished 6-4 last season, is just two years removed from playing for the Division 4 state championship in Virginia. Cromer’s defense did allow some big plays, but managed to contain the Beavers to few points.

“I was proud of our defense, our defense kind of kept us in the scrimmage, our offense got bogged down, but we are going to hang our hats on our defense,†said Cromer, whose team wore jerseys that read ‘Hit Them First’ on the front. “I am excited because we haven’t been able to do that a whole lot, we have scored a lot of points in the past, but our defense hunkered down and we are real proud of them. This is actually what we need to see.â€

The junior varsity teams began the scrimmage, with Bluefield scoring four touchdowns to three for Christiansburg. Carlos Reed, who was injured in the varsity segment of the scrimmages, had two scores, while Marcus Mitchell and John Neece had one apiece. Devin Blankenship had sacks on consecutive plays for the Beavers.

Bluefield had three scores to one in the scrimmage that followed, with Edwards scoring from 20 yards, Coppola plunging in from two, and Charles Ross dashed 60 yards for another touchdown. Foreign exchange student Francesco Desiderio was two for three in extra points, and added one later on during the 9-7 two-quarter game that included a safety for the Beavers.

“They have got speed and size, that is a nice quarterback, I think their quarterback is very sound, they have two big wideouts,†Cromer said. “All they threw were hitches and slants, we jumped the hitch and got the score, but they are very, very good.â€

Bluefield returns to the field on Aug. 23 at Shady Spring, followed by the season opener with Graham, with Edwards thinking state championship from now until December.

“That is my goal, leave it better than you found it,†Edwards said. “We want to win it all, undefeated the whole season.â€

If that means giving up the reins at quarterback to help the team, that is fine with him.

“If you make plays they are going to still talk about you so it is all right,†he said, with a smile.

Interesting, D.J. Edwards moved to RB to fill an empty slot that should be obvious, and Bourne at QB. Thought Bourne looked okay last year, but a little out of his element. Sounds like he's better, but got caught out several times (3 interceptions). Coppolo has put on a lot of weight (6'3", 212 to 6'4", 233), should be interesting to see how he does.

Not sure how to judge against C-Burg, with the comment that they were 6-4 last year. Anybody see the scrimmage and have any thoughts? Just awfully quiet about this team...

Not sure how to judge against C-Burg, with the comment that they were 6-4 last year. Anybody see the scrimmage and have any thoughts? Just awfully quiet about this team...

Speaking to a friend that worked the scrimmage, he said that Bluefield looked good just needed to fine tune some things. He also said that Christiansburg was going to have a long year if they don't dramatically improve..

Roster from WVSSAC site. 

No  Pos  Name  Gr  Ht  Wt        

Devon Blankenship   9       

1   RB/DB   DJ Stewart   11   5'7"  160 

2   WR/DB   Dakoda Smalls   12   5'9"  173 

3   WR/DB   Justin Carter   12   6'1"   183   

5   OW/DB   DJ Edwards   12   6'1"   200   

7   TE/DL   Matthew Woodrum   11   6"5"   215   

8   TE/LB   Jack Burress   12   6'1"   168   

9   TE/DL   Brandon Lilly   12   6"3"   203   

10   QB/DB   Jordan Smith   9   5'8"   168   

11   RB/DB   Charles Ross   12   5'11"   191   

12   QB/DB   RJ Bourne   11   6'2"   193   

14   WR/DB   Marcus Santoro   11   5'8"   160   

15   RB/LB   Brennan Wheeler   12   6'1"   197   

19   WR/DB   Remington Dyson   9   5'7"   107   

20   RB/LB   Marcus Mitchell   10   5'9"   178 

21   RB/LB   Jordan Masterson   11   5'11"   189   

22   WR/DB   John Neece   9   5'7"   130   

23   RB/DB   Christian Oster   12   6'0"   151   

25   RB/DB   Carlos Reed   9   5'9"   160   

28   WR/DB   Bryan Morris   12   5'11"   177   

30   WR/DB   Robert Castillo   9   5'8"   128   

31   WR/DB   Brandon Epperson   10   5'5"   146   

33   TE/DL   Anthony Mooney   10   6'3"   178   

34   OL/DL   Brandon Hurt   11   5'9"   184   

35   WR/DB   Gage Pennngton   10   5'11"   143   

40   WR/DB   Jachai Thomas   9   5'8"   136   

42   K   Francesco Desiderio   11   5'11"   155   

44   WR/DB   Daniel Barker   12   5'10"   165   

45   RB/DL   Corey Coppola   11   6'4"   233 

50   OL/DL   Justin Lightfoot   12   6'1"   213   

52   OL/DL   DJ Sims   12   6'0"   230   

53   OL/DL   Seth Silcox   10   6'0"   213   

54   OL/DL   Cole Honaker   10   5'10"   223   

55   OL/DL   Christian Russo   12   5'11"   247   

56   OL/DL   Timothy Herndon   11   5'9"   198   

57   OL/DL   Jake Smith   10   5'6"   176   

59   OL/DL   Ashton Shaw   10   6'1"   181   

60   OL/DL   Andrew King   10   5'9"   179   

61   OL/DL   Hunter Miller   12   6'2"   225   

62   OL/DL   Malik Craighead   11   6'3"   239 

62   OL/DL   Isaac Carter   11   6'1"   185   

63   OL/DL   Edward Cox   10   5'9"   201   

64   OL/DL   Cody Gore   12   5'11"   245   

65   OL/DL   Seth Siers   9   5'11"   168   

66   OL/DL   Skylor Lafon   9   5'3"   200   

67   OL/DL   Tyler Copley   9   5'8"   177   

70   OL/DL   Chris Taylor   10   6'3"   325   

71   OL/DL   Caleb Maitland   10   6'4"   189   

72   OL/DL   David Underwood   10   5'8"   246   

73   OL/DL   Matthew Belcher   10   6'0"   270   

74   OL/DL   Jordan George   10   6'3"   303   

75   OL/DL   Randall Maxey   10   6'1"   190   

76   OL/DL   Skyler Dillow   11   6'3"   260   

78   OL/DL   William Brooks   12   6'0"   360   

79   OL/DL   Wayne Walker   11   6'2"   240 

Graham fan here and I hope that I am wrong. Bluefield wins this years edition in big fashion. I have a feeling that the G-Men could sport a 2-3 or 3-2 record to start. Hopefully, by then, the G-Men will then have everything fine tuned for the district schedule and a playoff run. I will be leaving Roanoke ealy on Friday for this one. Go G-Men!

Better leave super early Starcity, so you make it for the game. You might be sitting in traffic for several hours with I-81 being shutdown for possibly 10 days. It took someone I know nearly three hours to get from Rke. to C'burg last night.

if i were coming from staunton to blfd. though i cannot because work early sat. morning i would avoid 81 where the construction between roanoke and christiansburg is by going route 460 to blfd. just my opinion.

GHS, the interstate between Exit 132 and 118 was completely closed down yesterday at 4:30 and will remain closed permenantly for possibly 10 days. All interstate traffic is being placed on 460 and is creating traffic nightmares along that portion of the highway. This was done due to an unstable slope caused by blasting yesterday morning, which they say could take nearly two weeks to repair.

GHS, the interstate between Exit 132 and 118 was completely closed down yesterday at 4:30 and will remain closed permenantly for possibly 10 days. All interstate traffic is being placed on 460 and is creating traffic nightmares along that portion of the highway. This was done due to an unstable slope caused by blasting yesterday morning, which they say could take nearly two weeks to repair.

then i might take a alternate route from roanoke instead of either of the aforementioned routes instead of setting in traffic for 3 hours would go over bent mtn towards floyd then back on 81 better than setting in traffic  there are several options none great but better than setting if you really want to go to the game. i have traveled most of them and yes they are 2 lane roads but not bad roads. for the most part can drive at least 55 on most parts of these roads. again just my two cents.

Graham fan here and I hope that I am wrong. Bluefield wins this years edition in big fashion. I have a feeling that the G-Men could sport a 2-3 or 3-2 record to start. Hopefully, by then, the G-Men will then have everything fine tuned for the district schedule and a playoff run. I will be leaving Roanoke ealy on Friday for this one. Go G-Men!

I believe the game will be closer than many think.... Graham has the potential to make some long sustained drives... they are strong up front and have 3 physical running backs....if the game is close in the 2nd half....I like Graham's chances......

The speed of Bluefield is very concerning (as usual).... However, I think it will be a classic battle between Graham and Bluefield.... speed vs. strength....  I'm expecting a good game (sort of like last season).  I hope I'm not wrong.... I haven't seen Bluefield...Graham has potential....but need to shore up some things on Defense (Defense was bending but not breaking against a V High team that had a very quick running back...)..however, V High did have some big gainers...Radford's speed exposed Graham's defense a few times in their scrimmage as well, hopefully they've improved on containing the RB's at the line of scrimmage.

Also StarCity..... if Graham's QB has time to throw....they have a pretty solid passing attack this year...the backup QB can scramble and has a good arm also....also, something you don't usually see at Graham...a couple of quality WR's and a quality TE....I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Youth at cornerback on defense concerns me...however...both of the corners are good young prospects.

Hold the phones, we have a winner!

that is true but if you are saying to drive north to get to 64 then to beckley i would offer to take route 220 north out of troutville towards clifton forge, covington then toward  219 from exit 10 off 64  thru union and peterstown   to richcreek you will save a lot of time this route over the other and end up on 460.

ghs73, why not avoid it all, try I-64 to Beckley and I-77 south to Bluefield. That should keep you out of the mess and traffic on 64 is normally mild.

ghs73, why not avoid it all, try I-64 to Beckley and I-77 south to Bluefield. That should keep you out of the mess and traffic on 64 is normally mild.

This route, regardless if I-81 is open or closed, should be the preferred travel route from Lexington, VA to the Bluefield area. Virtually no traffic on I-64 from Lexington to Beckley.

This route, regardless if I-81 is open or closed, should be the preferred travel route from Lexington, VA to the Bluefield area. Virtually no traffic on I-64 from Lexington to Beckley.my question is why drive all the way to lexington when you can drive 220 to clifton forge and pick up 64 it is mostly a 4 lane road and a good road. by the time you get to lexington you could be almost to clifton forge saving at least a 30 min drive from lexington to clifton forge.

Per the article:

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x250202935/Bluefield-excited-to-renew-rivalry-with-G-Men

Bluefield starting offense::

12   QB/DB   RJ Bourne   11   6'2"   193

1   RB/DB   DJ Stewart   11   5'7"  160 

5   OW/DB   DJ Edwards   12   6'1"   200 

45   RB/DL   Corey Coppola   11   6'4"   233

9   TE/DL   Brandon Lilly   12   6"3"   203  

74   OL/DL   Jordan George   10   6'3"   303  

52   OL/DL   DJ Sims   12   6'0"   230 

73   OL/DL   Matthew Belcher   10   6'0"   270

64   OL/DL   Cody Gore   12   5'11"   245

50   OL/DL   Justin Lightfoot   12   6'1"   213

3   WR/DB   Justin Carter   12   6'1"   183