8-23 Updates Thread

Ryan4VT

Eastside Spartans@eastsidevalive

Final score at Eastside, Spartans get the win 35-28 #VHSL  over Abingdon

Clintwood Greenwave@greenwavelive

5:04 left in the first quarter CW scores on a 2 yd td run by Dakota Dahley after an Austin Turner interception. CW leads 7-0 over JIB.

Rye Cove Eagles@rceagleslive

TS scores with 6:04 RC 0 TS 14

KTNSports

Tazewell had 8 tds to Mount View 1.

This was the hardest hitting Tazewell team I have seen in years! Two defensive tds for the Dawgs with one being a pick 6 to end the night... Mount View really not that good but it was great motivation for season to begin!

Grundy got thumped pretty good tonight by Gate City and Grayson...be a good thing for them this early on playing some legit competition.

Gate City 28-12

Grayson Co 49-16

Saw a lot of things Grundy needs to work on tonight, but saw a lot of good things as well...and the boys seemed pretty upbeat at the end...it's tall order to play 3 qtrs against Gate City then face a fresh Grayson Co team!

Per an interview with Baker, he will have an MRI in the morning to make sure.

Here to hoping it is nothing serious, he didn't look like he fell awkwardly or anything, we were right down on the corner where you and everyone you were with was standing and it just looked like to me that he tripped.

Just got back from Chilhowie. Central pushed them around pretty good. Starters played a half and won 19-7. Chilhowie scored on a Kick return as one of ours went for the pop and didn't wrap,so he spun and stayed upright (will fix that next time). Second team needs work,but showed some guts. Up 25-20 in the red zone and we took a knee to not score. Again just a scrimmage,and we like everybody else sill have room for improvement,but we did a lot of things right with the starters in. Chilhowie went until late into the second qtr before earning their 1st first down

Here's my review of the teams at the Alpha Natural resources jamboree

first off the teams in order(best to worst) imo   Union, Clintwood, GWythe, JI Burton, Castlewood, Rural Retreat not a lot of difference in the top 3 and JIB/Castlewood will be a pretty good matchup

Union - solid team but not dominant(Castlewood had some solid runs up the gut but I think there were sone 2nd team guys in there for Union). D looked strong overall. On offense they based out of the T but imo looked a lot better in I-Form(If they would use some Wing-T sets they would really have something)

Castlewood - Looked good at times, had several drives stall because of penalties or fumbles. Offense was solid between the tackles but the offtackle running game and passing game need work. Ok on D(had 3 ints for the night). I will say one thing, those boys came to play!  they came out against Union and gave it everything they had. Tough group

JI Burton - definitely have taken a major step backward. Defense looked pretty solid, size on the front line but small everywhere else. Secondary was ok but WRs were open. Offense, they are gonna have to pass to be successful and I really don't think they can to that. Will do very good in the Cumberland.

Rural Retreat - needed a lot of work. Looked ok at times, balanced but didn't really seem to have a strength. Ok running, ok passing. Defense looked ok. Not a bad team.

Clintwood - very solid on defense(best D at the scrimmage imo) big, strong and fast.  Offense was inconsistent. Will have to be balanced(at least 60/40 run to pass) to be successful. Worked the deep routes well and the short ones as well. mid range game is what they will need to win the big games and that was where they struggled the most. Will have growing pains but definitely a solid team.

GWythe - solid team. Not as good as last year but they have talent. Do everything well on offense and would be hard to defend. Defense was ok but struggled against Union(Union was bigger and stronger).

Several young men left with leg injuries, hope all is well with them.

Best part of the night for me was there were no bad teams there and good games all around.

The jam at ph was a wake up call for alot..craig co not good at all but ph wasnt far behind..both were weak and ph only has one bright spot..num 25..hurley looked solid but not consistent.. East mont very solid,size n speed..looked good but had sum trouble in the passin game.holston stold the show..solid,solid team,crisp,can run and pass at ease..just alil tweakin on the special teams and gw might see that streak go bye bye

hit the nail on the head  there redtiger... hope kid from union is ok, #3 (starter)can't recall his name,  tweeked his knee pretty good..... clintwood had one of their lineman out, hurt leg , knee in practice......

Didn't see it posted anywhere but Fort Chiswell beat Battle in the jv matchup 14-0 and in varsity 32-15. Battle's Chapman also received a concussion per Facebook updates.

Fort Chiswell/Battle game was pretty ugly from the beginning for Battle.  Fort Chiswell took out most of their 1st string after 1st quarter....which allowed Battle's starters to score 1st TD.  Battle's last TD was in the last minute of the 4th quarter by their freshman quarterback, Matt Tipton, against Fort Chiswell's JV team.  Battle is going to need more than a little tweaking.  The only game I feel confident in a win is against PH. 

Fort Chiswell/Battle game was pretty ugly from the beginning for Battle.  Fort Chiswell took out most of their 1st string after 1st quarter....which allowed Battle's starters to score 1st TD.  Battle's last TD was in the last minute of the 4th quarter by their freshman quarterback, Matt Tipton, against Fort Chiswell's JV team.  Battle is going to need more than a little tweaking.  The only game I feel confident in a win is against PH. 

I could tell at the J.I. Burton scrimmage that the team just didn't have the energy that it did last year and they're going to really miss the grads from last year. The beginning of the regular season will be a good test with Battle playing Abingdon then Virginia High.

EDIT: Meant to say Burton scrimmage, not Sullivan Central scrimmage.