Battle-Abingdon

Single A west

Anyone have a review of the game? Thoughts on Battle and Battle/fort benefit game as from a Battle perspective.

Abingdon gift wrapped this game in the first half. Battle's first score came off of a terrible pitch from Abingdon's QB on the option. JSB recovered it and ran it back for a TD. Battle also scored off an interception from another bad decision by the QB. Take away those two scores along with the 10 yard punt avg for Abingdon the game would have been close. Battle is one dimensional and extremely conservative on offense. If they had any passing yards it wasn't much (good decision by the WR who transferred to TN High) and the only threat they have to score is #10. Defensively, they don't miss a lot of tackles although the secondary is shaky. The Va High game should be a better measurement for JSB. After week one it looks like the Mountain District could go to anyone.

Abingdon gift wrapped this game in the first half. Battle's first score came off of a terrible pitch from Abingdon's QB on the option. JSB recovered it and ran it back for a TD. Battle also scored off an interception from another bad decision by the QB. Take away those two scores along with the 10 yard punt avg for Abingdon the game would have been close. Battle is one dimensional and extremely conservative on offense. If they had any passing yards it wasn't much (good decision by the WR who transferred to TN High) and the only threat they have to score is #10. Defensively, they don't miss a lot of tackles although the secondary is shaky. The Va High game should be a better measurement for JSB. After week one it looks like the Mountain District could go to anyone.

After going up 34-0 in the first half while moving the ball pretty well on the ground, I wouldn't try too much more either. Abingdon did make a lot of mistakes, but it takes a good team to capitalize on those mistakes and turn them into points, which we did. We still have some things to get better at and that will come with playing more games, but I wouldn't just write Battle off just yet just for one performance.

but it takes a good team to capitalize on those mistakes and turn them into points, which we did

Those two mistakes didn't take a good team to capitalize on them. The option fumble bounced right into the hands of the Battle defender and there was no one near him. The interception was thrown to the Battle cornerback and he didn't have to move at all. On the return there was no one around to tackle him either. Both turnovers were gifts. I'm not writing Battle off but if I were Virginia High I would be putting 10 defenders in the box and make the Trojans pass the ball. 

Battle was clearly more physical in the first half. The defense plays with intensity and was in the backfield every play. That pressure is what caused the turnovers. Had half the team not been suffering from cramps the game could have easily been 50-0. Good opportunity for a lot of young players to get experience and playing time. Battle threw for over 150 yds and 2 scores against AHS last year with the same QB. Battle has to work on pass protection now. #19 got hit on every play. Even so too many dropped balls. Battle had about 7 kids with positive rushing yds last night. Battle has a ton of speed and need to spread it around. #10 clearly is a playmaker but so is #15 #23 #20 #5 #22 among others. Looking forward to seeing #12 back in the lineup. VHS is good and has a lot of depth but just like Abingdon it's just a game for points. Abingdon has good talent, just need to stay under control. There should have been several flags thrown for punches being thrown.

AHS gave JSB 16 points....2 TO's for TD's on both and a safety.....final score spread of 16 points.  AHS QB made some very poor decisions (outside of the TO's) and like I have always said, AHS coaching sucked.  For example, late in the game with AHS trying to mount a comeback, AHS marches the ball down to the 20 by running the ball very successfully.  So its first and 10 at the 20.  What does Bowles do?  Passes on 1st and 2nd down both incomplete. So now its 3rd and 10 and he runs it. No gain.  There are so  many more examples but I am getting just as tired of telling you all about them as you are of hearing about it.   Poor personnel decisions at key points in the game as well.  AHS left side of O line did well and the JSB O line did well against 74.  JSB runs 3 different plays and they are all just variations of the same play.  Offense is very basic and it took our coaches until halftime to make adjustments.  Run plays follow the player in motion or runs through the 1 or 2 hole.  I'm not saying AHS should have won....but AHS is no way lacking in talent compared to JSB.  Lastly, AHS won the 2nd half 20-8.....so that was a positive I would want my players to take away from the game.

maybe the OC is just out thinking himself?   surprise pass is a good idea in the redzone, then "theres no way they will expect another pass", then "theres no way they will expect a run here". Or maybe on 3rd down he was hoping to get 6-7 and then go for it on 4th.  Theres a lot of possibilities, im not saying he is right but its not a terrible plan. When youre behind sometimes you have to get "creative"

34-0 in the 2nd half, multiple players cramping up and a young team.    I think a let down of Battle as far as intensity goes contributed to Abingdon's success. Abingdon had a few turnovers...mostly forced since Battle's front was playing in Abingdon's backfield the entire 1st half. 

I've coached the QB in the past...and I'd put money on him being a top 3 passing QB in SWVA.   Coach Wright isn't going to pass the football with a big lead, you can forget it.   On the same note....if anyone decides they want to load the box on Battle,   the kid will throw for 200+.     The teams that will give Battle a very hard time is teams with Big experienced lines.   Battle is very young, inexperienced up front.    Fort Chiswell is a good example but I cant see many teams staying with them this year.     IMO,  Honaker, Union and Lee High will give Battle the toughest tests on the regular season schedule because of the Line.    I fully expect Battle and VHS to be another highly competitive ball game that could go either way.

Excuses is a common theme in Abingdon...... but the truth is that you lost to a Division 1, Cumberland District Eastside team in a benefit game...and it's a 2 year losing streak to John Battle.     Outside of 1 sophomore,  Abingdon has zero team speed and it's really going to hurt them through out the season..  It's going to be a long...long year in A-town. 

I've coached the QB in the past...and I'd put money on him being a top 3 passing QB in SWVA.   Coach Wright isn't going to pass the football with a big lead, you can forget it.   On the same note....if anyone decides they want to load the box on Battle,   the kid will throw for 200+.   

I disagree. Even if the QB is "top 3" he has no one to throw the ball to unless it's #10 coming out of the backfield. I don't recall Battle attempting more than 5 passes and those were over thrown or dropped. Battle fans should not put a lot of stock in this win because Abingdon may not win a game this year.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna stop talking about the JSB/AHS game now and look forward to next week. Both teams will get a real test as Battle plays Virginia High and Abingdon plays Gate City (both of which should be very interesting games and none of these teams should be overlooked or counted out). Having an actual game under our belts, we should be able to see a lot more about how our teams might do down the road with this coming Friday's games. Good luck to all.

I received a call from a friend today that told me that I had upset some Battle people with my comments about their QB.  After I re-read my post (I have delted it so that no one will have to see it again), I can understand why.  I usually re-read my posts before I ever hit the button to post because I definitely do not want to say anything bad about a highschool player.  I was late for a meeting and did not re-read this post and am ashamed that I posted it.

I was also told that this years QB may not even be the same one I saw last year.  Apparently they platooned 2 QBs a lot last year.  Anyway,  I have watched many Steve Wright coached teams at Marion and at Battle and I know that Coach Wright does not care one bit about completion percentages or stats or anything of the kind.  He wants his QB to run the offense, make plays when he needs to and take care of the ball.  If overthrowing the receiver on purpose to make the ball land safely to where no one on the defense can make a play on the ball ends up as an incomplete on the stat sheet (and also avoids a sack), that is just as good as a completion in Coach Wright's book and I am sure that that is what Coach Wright has been teaching his QBs since he started coaching.  I have never coached football at any level, but thoroughly enjoy watching the game and feel like I know a little something about the game.  But what I seem to have forgotten on this one is that these are High School kids and they don't deserve to have negative comments thrown their way by someone (me) who has never played the position.

To the QB and his family, I appologize.

I have seen him play a few times over the years and I saw part of the game against Va High friday night.  As I was discussing with some of the people around me before the game, he has probably the best throwing mechanics of any high school QB that I have ever seen.  He has a very tight spiral, great footwork and was throwing the ball 50 yards with ease.  I am sure if he was in a more pass happy offense, he would put up great numbers.  They were telling me that he went to alot of camps this year and has alot of colleges looking at him.  I sincerely hope that he does well.

And for what it is worth, he threw a perfect TD pass right off the bat against Va High for the opening score.

My comment was never meant to be offensive, but I can see where it would be offensive to the parents of the kid (and the kid) and I would be offended by the comments if they were about my kid.  I stand by my apology.

If this were an NFL QB that gets paid to do this for a living, then he is fair game, but this is a high school kid and did not deserve to be singled out and I am truly sorry.

I can kinda' see why you apologized.  The kid did not seek or ask for a critique.  Like you said, this isn't college or the NFL.

BUT, do his parents also get upset and call the principal when his English teacher critics his research paper and makes suggestions on how to improve it?  My advice, grow thicker skin and ignore message boards if they are upset by comments posted on them.