Virginia High @ John Battle: The Saga Continues

V-Cats

Not much epic about this matchup...JSB has what, one or two wins ever over VHS?  I expect VHS to handle JSB this week.  JSB has certainly improved and I like their coach, but I like VHS' new coach as well and they have a very good team this year.

Not much epic about this matchup...JSB has what, one or two wins ever over VHS?  I expect VHS to handle JSB this week.  JSB has certainly improved and I like their coach, but I like VHS' new coach as well and they have a very good team this year.

One or two wins? I believe it's quite a bit more than that (though I'll give you that VHS has dominated the series). Just since Coach Wright has been at Battle, we're 3-0 against VHS. I do look for this to be a good game though and it'll definitely be a good measuring stick for Battle. VHS always has potential and I'm sure they'll be out for revenge this Friday, but I wouldn't overlook Battle if I were you. It'll be an emotional game for both teams as VHS desperately wants revenge and Battle really wants to keep their new streak against VHS alive (and continue to prove to everyone that we're still on our way up and not just a "one hit wonder" like some seem to think).

I forgot about the playoff game last year.  I am sure somebody knows the exact number but I'd bet it is less than 5 (including the playoffs).

I looked up the VHS-JSB matchups on the VHSL Reference site.  Since 1999 (that is as far back as that site seems to keep records, VHS leads 12-3 (twice last year). 

But as pointed out, the only one that matters is the next one...

I forgot about the playoff game last year.  I am sure somebody knows the exact number but I'd bet it is less than 5 (including the playoffs).

I looked up the VHS-JSB matchups on the VHSL Reference site.  Since 1999 (that is as far back as that site seems to keep records, VHS leads 12-3 (twice last year). 

But as pointed out, the only one that matters is the next one...

I think the overall record was mentioned last season on the CMD (now Mountain District) forum and Battle has beat VHS more than 5 times. I'll see if I can find it later. But you're right, the only one that matters is the next one. Can't wait for this Friday!

There will be no blow out win for either team.    It's going to be much like the last couple of games,  hard fought with turnovers being the key.   The largest difference between Battle and VHS over the past couple of years has been discipline. A lot of that has been the youth of VHS though and they're not so young anymore.  Battle doesn't make mistakes very often.They make people earn wins.   They don't miss tackles, they don't get penalized very often and they don't turn the ball over much. People talked last year about moving the ball on Battle and they will again this year.  But moving the ball and scoring are 2 different things. They don't really mind if you gain 40 yards on a drive honestly.  Battle's defense is built on making tackles and keeping things in front of them. It takes a very disciplined team to repeatedly drive 70 yards 3 and 4 yards at a time without stopping their self at some point by penalties or a turnover. Even a run oriented attack in Giles couldn't do it last year.  Steve Wright is one of the best coaches in the state. You guys think about this... let this soak in---  He has taken Marion and John Battle to State semifinal appearances! That's no disrespect to either program, just giving him much deserved credit.

I'm honestly not sure which team walks out victorious this Friday, but I do know that nothing will be easy.  Should be another great ball game for both fan bases to watch.   It's nice to see this "rivalry" actually becoming a rivalry!   IMO, 2 solid football teams that have the potential to make some noise come playoff time.

Thank you Battleftbl for a rational discussion on the game. You bring up some valid points. I think the difference in the game is depth. VHS has depth. Battle has some talent but not much depth. I really don't see it being close. Coaching can only take you so far. If you have to play from behind and have such a conservative offence, as JSB has, either by design or lack of play-makers, the game can get away from you.

VHS by at least 21. 

Stoots' next chore: Stop VHS

Allen Gregory | Bristol Herald Courier TriCities.com

BRISTOL, Va. – High school athletes in Southwest Virginia once balanced football with farm work.

Instead of relying on elaborate weight rooms with high-tech machines, these old-school farm boys developed strength and endurance by toiling in hay and tobacco fields.

John Battle’s Justin Stoots knows the relentless grind. Take last Friday’s season opener at Abingdon for example.

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound senior starred as a linebacker, fullback and special teams hitman before being forced to leave the game in the second half due to dehydration. Stoots was transported to Abingdon’s Johnston Memorial Hospital, where he received fluids via an intravenous line.

Stoots finally arrived home around 2 a.m., but he was back up at 5:30 for the daily milking session in his grandfather’s dairy barn in rural Mendota.

Welcome to country life.

“I was raised on a farm, so I’m used to working hard every day,†Stoots said. “Tobacco, corn, cows, dairy, hay – I’ll do it all. We used to have nearly 600 cows.â€

The next chore for Stoots comes tonight when the John Battle Trojans host Bristol rival Virginia High. Stoots doesn’t need a thumping rap song or flashy television commercial to motivate him. His drive comes from within.

“I’m excited as I can be and I’m sure there will be a big crowd, but it’s just going to be another game,†Stoots said. “We work hard every week and try to keep things at a certain level. It all comes down to working harder than other teams.â€

The kind of bottom-line talk is music to the ears of fundamentals-first Battle head coach Steve Wright.

“Justin is a tough kid. He gives everything he has – all the time,†Wright said.

During Battle’s historic playoff run last season, Stoots divided his time between inside and outside linebacker, the defensive line, fullback and special teams.

“And he did a great job everywhere we put him,†Wright said.

Like the passionate Battle fans, Stoots is eager to add another chapter to Battle’s turnaround story.

“Last season meant a lot to me,†Stoots said. “It opened my eyes to what we can do here and it made me work that much harder. Our program has improved a lot, but I don’t think about the past.â€

That bonding process with his fellow linebackers and running backs is more lasting than headlines and trophies.

“We’ve played ball together our entire lives and we’ve got a brotherhood back there on defense,†Stoots said.

For Stoots, the best part of last week’s 36-20 win over Abingdon was clearing running backs Carter Harlow and hard-charging brothers Justus and Wesley Blaylock. Senior Matthew Chapman is also in the mix at fullback.

“I don’t have any moves. I just run as hard as I can, but it’s an amazing feeling to see a play develop,†Stoots said. “If I get my block, I just know Carter and our other backs will use it.

“Carter has good speed, and his experience in track really helps. Carter is a great team leader who always picking his teammates up.â€

In terms of toughness, Stoots said few players can rival the Blaylock boys. Wesley and Justus spend their weekends on motorcycles, competing in grueling off-road competitions that last for hours.

“I spend most of my time away from the field with Justus and Wesley,†Stoots said. “They are great riders. I ride to have fun, kind of like the reason I play football.â€

Battle fans first noticed Stoots in his sophomore year when he found a niche as undersized yet fearless noseguard.

“I was around five-eight and 150 pounds,†Stoots said. “I was giving up some size on the line, but you’ve just got to suck it up and take the pain. I’ll play anywhere the coach needs me.â€

On the football field, Stoots basically adheres to the approach followed by former NFL linebacker great Chris Spielman.

“I push myself to where I can’t push anymore,†Stoots said. “I was ready for the game last week, but my body was not hydrated enough. I just fell asleep after I went to the hospital.â€

Stoots worked several jobs, in addition to his farm routine, over the summer. He had actually planned to work full-time installing electricity in houses this fall.

“I was going to work this year instead of playing football, but I changed my mind to be with my teammates,†Stoots said.

Stoots has little time for frivolous distractions, such as video games and Facebook. He’s all about business.

“My work experience comes in handy on the football field,†he said “Busting it all day in the sun, you just have to get used to it.â€

So does Stoots ever moan about having to get up so early after a Friday night football game?

“You might be a little sore, but you just have to fight that off and get after it,†he said. “There’s nothing like working in that morning air. It feels good.â€

As usual, Coach Wright views tonight’s game as part of a long-term process.

“We were happy to get the win last week,†he said. “Obviously, there are things to work on after the first game. The heat got to us a little, so we need to handle that better.â€

In the debut for new head coach Michael Crist, Virginia High rushed for 233 yards en route to a 48-7 win over Tazewell. Crist is the son of longtime Blacksburg head coach Dave Crist.

“I have a lot of respect for Coach Crist’s father, and it looks like Michael is following in his father’s footsteps,†Wright said. “Virginia High has a lot of talent and is well-coached. It’s going to be a great challenge.â€

"Shoots doesn't need a thumping rap song or flashy television commercial to motivate him. His drive comes from within"

"there's nothing like working in that morning air. It feels good"

You catch all that Falconman?

No disrespect to Battle, I think Steve Wright is a great man and a very good football coach, but I think we win this one easily this year. I don't see how they will be able to contain Justin Brown and we can do a lot more this year than we could last year, plus, I think we're much deeper and Battle maybe a bit less talented on both sides of the ball.

Bearcats 31

Battle 12

Good job by Battle.  Lots of VHS predictions were proven wrong last night.  Just goes to show you that depth is important only if the starting talent is better.  John Battle's starting 11 was better on both sides of the ball.