Giles at Graham

futbolking

Anybody think that Graham has a shot to knock off undefeated and #1 ranked Giles (in the power ratings) in D-2 West? 

It will be a very tough matchup for Graham IMO.  Giles has knocked off some quality D-4 opponents in Christiansburg and Blacksburg.  They run the single wing which is extremely difficult to defend...  Graham seems to be making strides each week.  I don't think that Giles has overwhelming speed, but they are very physical and extremely well coached and those kids have been running that system since they were in pee wee football. They will bring a huge crowd and will most likely have as many or more fans than Graham has in the stands....  This could be a great series going forward.  Graham made a great call in picking up Giles, a quality opponent.  I think they should have kept either Marion or Princeton, however and left Grundy off of the slate (sorry Lance)....

I was blessed to be a Maroon...Born, bred, bled, played, supported, and even coached a little in the lower ranks.  If I weren't given the chance to be a Maroon, I'd ask the good Lord to let me be a Giles Spartan. 

My head picks it 36-20 Giles.  My heart doesn't care as long as Giles wins.

The amount of fans part I agree... I couldn't believe that I seen more Bulldog green then Graham fans!

i am sorry but i have to disagree about fans during graham tazewell game, tazewell did not have more that graham did, maybe if you had sat on the graham side you would have seen that. tazewell had a lot of fans but not more than graham. sorry.

i am sorry but i have to disagree about fans during graham tazewell game, tazewell did not have more that graham did, maybe if you had sat on the graham side you would have seen that. tazewell had a lot of fans but not more than graham. sorry.

I was there and you are right!

Sorry Tazewell poster but you are wrong on this one but keep up the school spirit!

May be a good rivalry starting up. Gonna be nice coming to a nice stadium like mitchell. I agree with most of your post except for the speed part. Most years we dont have it but this year we have a very fast defense, and 3 very fast backs. Maybe the fastest team weve ever had, and overall maybe the fastest in swva this year. C-burg and B-burg fans would agree. But friday night is really all that matters. It  will all be displayed on the field. Hope for a good hard hitting game, and good sportsmanship.

This could be a great game Friday night. If Graham brings their A-game they could very well pull the upset. I was excited to see this game on the schedule when it was announced. It makes so much sense for these two to play one another.

Giles has been very impressive so far and i think they will win. Gonna go with the Spartans, 35-24.

Game time at Mitchell Stadium is 7, correct??

I hope Graham keeps it interesting..... They will have to play inspired football to beat Giles, but I think the potential is there....

I believe Graham will be able to move the ball and generate offense....I'm not sure they can stop the single wing....

I was blessed to be a Maroon...Born, bred, bled, played, supported, and even coached a little in the lower ranks.  If I weren't given the chance to be a Maroon, I'd ask the good Lord to let me be a Giles Spartan. 

My head picks it 36-20 Giles.  My heart doesn't care as long as Giles wins.

i can tell your torn......gloyal..uh  gwloyal lol!!

Graham has no chance. Would love to see it but there is no way.

I wouldn't say they have "no" chance...  In fact...I was one of the few on here who thought they would be in a close contest with Richlands....  I know that Grundy isn't much of a measuring stick...but Graham has continued to improve and get better....and anytime you can put up 67 points on a team...I don't care who you're playing....you've got some offense....

Graham is averaging over 41 points a game...  I believe Graham will score enough points....Question is...Can their defense (one that has improved every week) stop Giles?.... I say this will be a good competitive game....Mitchell Stadium can be intimidating......they're playing on turf....not sure how much Giles has played on turf....  I have faith in Graham to make it a good competitive ball game.

This could be a great game Friday night. If Graham brings their A-game they could very well pull the upset. I was excited to see this game on the schedule when it was announced. It makes so much sense for these two to play one another.

Giles has been very impressive so far and i think they will win. Gonna go with the Spartans, 35-24.

Game time at Mitchell Stadium is 7, correct??

Correct on the game time

May be a good rivalry starting up. Gonna be nice coming to a nice stadium like mitchell. I agree with most of your post except for the speed part. Most years we dont have it but this year we have a very fast defense, and 3 very fast backs. Maybe the fastest team weve ever had, and overall maybe the fastest in swva this year. C-burg and B-burg fans would agree. But friday night is really all that matters. It  will all be displayed on the field. Hope for a good hard hitting game, and good sportsmanship.

Thanks for letting me know about that... I haven't seen Giles this year and usually they don't have a  ton of speed...but are fundamentally sound and are very well coached and run that single wing to perfection....  If they have speed too....then Graham may be in for a long night.... I still say that Graham will score plenty of points, just not sure if they can stop Giles....

I was there and you are right!

Sorry Tazewell poster but you are wrong on this one but keep up the school spirit!

I would have to say at the start of the game our fans outnumbered by quite a few.  It wasn't until the end of the first that more graham showed up.  I went and sat on the graham side with a coworker at halftime and there were still lots of our fans there we still had almost as many.  But for reference I always take a pic of the opposing side at kickoff and at that point we did outnumber the g faithful...

The reason for this is probably the change in time. All MED games start at 7pm. Which means all Graham home games, and or district game start then. Its kind of messed up, half of the games start at 7 and the other half at 7:30. Folks haven't gotten used to it yet I guess.

i can tell your torn......gloyal..uh  gwloyal lol!!

LOL I have a ton of respect for that program.  Just a big fan of the pride and tradition over there.  Hate we don't have those guys on our schedule anymore.  Some great games with the Spartans over the years.  I'm a loyal Maroon, but I'm totally a Spartan fan, also.

Hey, I root for C'wood every weekend too, my friend.  Except for a couple of times, of course lol

I would have to say at the start of the game our fans outnumbered by quite a few.  It wasn't until the end of the first that more graham showed up.  I went and sat on the graham side with a coworker at halftime and there were still lots of our fans there we still had almost as many.  But for reference I always take a pic of the opposing side at kickoff and at that point we did outnumber the g faithful...

well i was at the game and i came in on the ghs side and all that was at the ticket booth on the ghs side was tazewell fans so hard to figure out where all the graham fans came from maybe out of the woods or from the tazewell side, but my wife and i were the only ghs fans buying tickets at this time, just as the game kicked off.

ok so you took a picture of the graham side did you then walk to the graham side immediately and take a picture of the tazewell side to compare is my question.

OK, not that it's a big deal...but Tazewell did have a good crowd....it's only 20 minutes away....It compared well to Graham's crowd....I couldn't tell you who's crowd was bigger...however....there were quite a few people that came in after kickoff for both sides...because of the 7:00 kickoff time...

I'm sure in such a large stadium....when you're sitting in the middle of a crowd of people and look across, it can be deceiving....I think both teams had a pretty good crowd there in my estimation.

Now, back to my original post:  What is everybody's thoughts on something that is happening this week?  Giles at Graham?  I still think Graham can hang with them....

I have seen graham play this year and I was very impressed with their offense....those 2 RB's really run hard and the QB looked pretty good the game I saw. Giles does have a good team this year but with every single A team injuries could turn a good team into a below average one very quickly. This is one of Giles fastest teams in a while and their defense is alot better than it has been in last few years....lot of speed on defense and they get to the ball quickly and numerous people. I think this will be a very good game and if either team don't bring their A game they will be on the losing side. I can't wait...so glad to have Graham back on the schedule....