Richlands @ Bluefield

Ryan4VT

As for the getting "picked on," I would be willing to bet he doesn't get it any worse that any of the other Freshmen.

I heard that he decided not to play football at all because of threats by older kids but the coaches talked to him and convinced him to come out. 

Would be a shame to waste talent because of some knuckleheads...they need a good swift kick in the arse...

Freddy seems to know when to play Richlands and when not to play Richlands.  Richlands would have blasted Bluefield the past 4 years in my opinion.  Well, maybe not blasted them, but two of the 4 years would have been wins by over 17 points, and the other 2 years, Richlands would have won by 7 to 14 points. Richlands is down this year and Bluefield has its best team in many, many years and low and behold, the two teams get to play this year!  It seems like when these two schools play, Bluefield is at a high point and Richlands is trending down a bit. Credit Freddy for this impressive scheduling at the right time.

It will be fireworks for the Beavers in this match up and it will be over early.  Don't look for a beating as bad as Lord B, against Richlands in which is was 50 to nothing at halftime and the clock continuously ran the second half due to the mercy rule, but this will be ugly.  

Bluefield 61, Richlands 21.  I truly believe Bluefield puts up over 55 points and likely 60.  Richlands is way, way down compared to where they have been and it happens to all schools.  You can't have superior talent every year.  Credit Richlands for being a solid team and solid program with excellent talent for over a decade now, but.....this year, the talent is not excellent, it is only good.  This is that 1 in 10 year period in which the law of averages simply wins and says you can't be as talented as you have been.  The talent on this Bluefield team for this given year is excellent and it's going to get out of hand in this contest.

What makes you think that it was Freddys idea not playing Richlands the past five years? I thought it was Mance that did not renew the series after the 07 and 08 series.

You are right....It was Richlands that decided not to renew the contract last time.   Ultimately led Bluefield to having to fill their schedules with the teams from Charlotte.

You are right....It was Richlands that decided not to renew the contract last time. Ultimately led Bluefield to having to fill their schedules with the teams from Charlotte.

False. I was in the room with our AD when talks were being made. He never gave a reason, but stated that it was a somewhat mutual split.

Actually GMan,  they were from WVA........Charleston is what they said on the radio !

Well, that explains it too.  The refs from up north will do everything possible to screw Bluefield. 

Proud of the Blues for hanging in there, even if they did get some calls to go their way for a change.  That's not usually what happens to the Blues when they play in Bluefield vs the Beavers.  The Bluefield speed was just too much, along with the big back for the Beavers.  I have always been a supporter of these two teams playing each other.  I wonder what could have been had these two teams played for the past 5 years?  It's a shame the fans never got a chance to see it.

Glad this series has been renewed and hope it continues in the years to come. Bluefield's schedule is suffering and we need quality opponents. Previous formiable foes on the schedule are seriously struggling and have been for several years, so continuing this series is important for Bluefield's S.O.S.  With that said, however, talk is simply that, talk with regard to who would have won in years the two did not play on the field. When the game has been played on the field Bluefield owns the series. Going back to 1997 these two teams have played eight times and Beaver has won seven of those eight games. I cannot recall if the two played in 1996, but Beaver only lost one regular season game in 1996 and it wasn't to Richlands; I believe the loss was @ Poca by a point or two?  I was trying to locate the scores of those past eight games, but have been unsuccessful as most of my information is in my parents' attic back in Bluefield. Here are the scores from my memory only, so if anyone could provide factual evidence of the scores I would appreciate it.

1997: Bluefield 21-7 or 28-7 @ Richlands

1998: Bluefield 41-10 or 34-10 @ Bluefield

1999: Bluefield 28-21 @ Richlands

2001: Richlands 56-14 @ Richlands

2002: Bluefield 24-21 @ Bluefield

2007: Bluefield 16-13 @ Richlands

2008: Bluefield 35-14 @ Bluefield

2013: Bluefield 38-14 @ Bluefield

Again, this series needs to contiune and both parties need to do whatever is necessary to ensure it does continue past 2014. It's good for both communities and all of Southwest Virginia and Southern WV for that matter because these are two of the best programs historically in the region's history. And playing each other will only benefit both teams going into the playoffs each November.

Well, that explains it too.  The refs from up north will do everything possible to screw Bluefield. 

.......lol,  now that may be true,  I can't say since I don't know much about the WVA refs.  But I am still proud of our guys for playing hard ! 

Like Bluefield_Rules, I also would love to see these 2 teams continue to play.........It's great for both teams and both fan bases and help prepare both teams for the playoffs.  The travel is short and the gate is usually big. 

Glad this series has been renewed and hope it continues in the years to come. Bluefield's schedule is suffering and we need quality opponents. Previous formiable foes on the schedule are seriously struggling and have been for several years, so continuing this series is important for Bluefield's S.O.S.  With that said, however, talk is simply that, talk with regard to who would have won in years the two did not play on the field. When the game has been played on the field Bluefield owns the series. Going back to 1997 these two teams have played eight times and Beaver has won seven of those eight games. I cannot recall if the two played in 1996, but Beaver only lost one regular season game in 1996 and it wasn't to Richlands; I believe the loss was @ Poca by a point or two?  I was trying to locate the scores of those past eight games, but have been unsuccessful as most of my information is in my parents' attic back in Bluefield. Here are the scores from my memory only, so if anyone could provide factual evidence of the scores I would appreciate it.

1997: Bluefield 21-7 or 28-7 @ Richlands

1998: Bluefield 41-10 or 34-10 @ Bluefield

1999: Bluefield 28-21 @ Richlands

2001: Richlands 56-14 @ Richlands

2002: Bluefield 24-21 @ Bluefield

2007: Bluefield 16-13 @ Richlands

2008: Bluefield 35-14 @ Bluefield

2013: Bluefield 38-14 @ Bluefield

Again, this series needs to contiune and both parties need to do whatever is necessary to ensure it does continue past 2014. It's good for both communities and all of Southwest Virginia and Southern WV for that matter because these are two of the best programs historically in the region's history. And playing each other will only benefit both teams going into the playoffs each November.

No doubt Bluefield has dominated the series.  My point is Richlands had some very good teams from 2009 through 2011, so I would have loved to have been able to see them play. I wasn't making a prediction on who would have won the games.  I was however pointing out the obvious difference in Richlands then and Richlands now.  There's no comparison.

Correction: Richlands won in 1998 at Mitchell Stadium either 41-3 or 41-10. My senior year the regular season losses were to PV and Lee. Either way, a Bluefield was the better team last night, and has the most consistently successful program. Richlands has only become a consistent winner during the Vaught and Mance eras which is something to be proud. Bluefield has always had great coaching, but what really sets them apart is speed. Speed is something you must be born with first before it is developed. Congrats to both teams on a great effort and good luck the rest of the season.

Actually, Bluefield is much better than Richlands.

Very beatable. Of course you were gonna beat us with a 3rd string QB and a 2nd string RB. And our 3rd string QB is our #1 WR. So it was bound to happen. Would it be different if everyone was healthy? Who knows. But the score would have been much closer. 

Bluefield is very beatable. Need to sure up that D before post season. Good luck to the Beavers the rest of the way though. Bring back a title.

Bluefield's defense was legit.  They fly to the football really well.  The touchdown pass was all Zeke Vance because number 5 for Bluefield had the ball in his hands and Vance took it away.  Besides that and the short field to start the game Bluefields defense gave us fits.  The good thing is that we have played a pretty tough schedule the first 3 games.  Good luck to Bluefield on the rest of the season. 

BLUEFIELD/RICHLANDS HISTORY OF SCORES

'13. B38-14 (@B)

'08. B35-14 (@B)

'07. B16-13 (@R)

'02. B17-14 (@B)

'01. R49-6 (@R)

'00. B24-21 (@B)

'99. B41-27 (@R)

'98. R41-6 (@B)

'97. B21-20 (@R)

'96. B58-6 (@B)

'88. B33-12 (@R)

'87. R21-13 (@B)

'86. R33-7 (@R)

'85. B38-13 (@B)

'84. B35-14 (@R)

'83. B22-19 (@B)

'70. B44-0 (@R)

'69. B28-6 (@B)

'68. B26-7 (@R)

'67. B33-13 (@B)

'66. B40-12 (@R)

'65. B32-0 (@B)

'60. B20-0 (@R)

'59. B41-14 (@B)

'58. B52-0 (@B)

'39. B6-0 (@B)

'38. B24-0 (@B)

BLUEFIELD/RICHLANDS HISTORY OF SCORES

'13. B38-14 (@B)

'08. B35-14 (@B)

'07. B16-13 (@R)

'02. B17-14 (@B)

'01. R49-6 (@R)

'00. B24-21 (@B)

'99. B41-27 (@R)

'98. R41-6 (@B)

'97. B21-20 (@R)

'96. B58-6 (@B)

'88. B33-12 (@R)

'87. R21-13 (@B)

'86. R33-7 (@R)

'85. B38-13 (@B)

'84. B35-14 (@R)

'83. B22-19 (@B)

'70. B44-0 (@R)

'69. B28-6 (@B)

'68. B26-7 (@R)

'67. B33-13 (@B)

'66. B40-12 (@R)

'65. B32-0 (@B)

'60. B20-0 (@R)

'59. B41-14 (@B)

'58. B52-0 (@B)

'39. B6-0 (@B)

'38. B24-0 (@B)

I knew someone would come through; excellent information. Just shows how lopsided this series has been.

Not that it would have changed the outcome, but I'm curious: Why the lopsided home advantage for Bluefield? 16 games in Bluefield and only 11 at Ernie?

Looks like after the first four (38, 39, 58, 59) meetings that the series has alternated location every game since. After next year the home/away difference will be four games, which is accounted for by the the first four of the series being at Bluefield. What was the Richlands' field situation like in those first four years of the series? Maybe it was at Bluefield to accommodate a large crowd? Just a guess because those games were years before my time as it was for many here. Maybe the GMan can fill us in? Ha

I would also guess it has to do with facilities in the beginning. Mitchell Stadium was a premier stadium when it saw its first games in 1937 ( I think), and saw the likes of WVU vs VT, Marshall vs VT, and VMI vs VT in the 50s. Bluefield was the "big city" of that era with a population of 22-24 thousand and was the hub of the coal industry when it was booming.