2015 Richlands football team

Swvafan72

Someone close to the Richlands team told me that he was worried about the QB position this season because 1) one of their QBs, even though he has a decent arm, he is very "timid" under pressure, and 2) when the other threw the ball, you weren't quite sure where it was going.

Either he was telling me the greatest straight-faced joke ever, or there is some serious concern about the next QB at Richlands...

Gman I think that guy gave you an honest opinion. It is the question we most need answered. I have said a couple of times......as the Qb goess, so we go.

Asbury has only played with the starters twice under Friday Night lights. He started at Gate City last year and didn't look very good. He was only 5"11 and about 160lbs and playing his first snap in an intimidating atmosphere like that....he was for sure timid at best. He wasn't comfortable with all his knowledge of the plays and calls he has to make at the line of scrimmage either. That's really all most Richlands fans have to go on. Now he is 6"2 and about 180 to 185lbs and very comfortable with all his duties. Big difference in confidence. So I think that question is very fair and we will to have to wait and see how he takes the beating a Qb does. I think he will be fine and get the job done.

Atkinson if you watched him this summer it is true the ball would go in different directions than the recievers would go but he was just learning the offense and would just simply make the wrong read which did happen a lot. A lot to learn in that short of time but that is not the case now. He looks really good. He throws the ball good and not great but he can more than get the job done. He has actually improved so fast its been fun to watch.

So yes its true Asbury was timid......I don't think that's true now and Austin has looked very good and not wild with his throws.It

Wow,  I didn't realize that Asbury has grown to 6'2 and up to 180 to 185.  That extra height should help him have better vision over those big linemen and hopefully the weight will help him better weather the pounding,  but hoping and thinking that as good as our line is/should be,  helps to keep the pounding to a minimum.

The growth of watching River and a year to mature should also help him this year.

I know the game seemed to slow down for me between my Soph to Jr year so maybe that has happened to him as well,  but as you said Razor,  all we can do is wait and see.  It wont take long to find out with this scrimmage coming up Friday and the early games starting with the benefit game against Honaker and then the following week against GC.

He seems to have all the skills and size needed to be a very good QB,  but especially at that position,  it's really gonna depend on how he handles it mentally !

I think he will be just fine and prove to be a good QB for the Blues,  but there could be some growing pains to start off with,  I just hope the fans will allow him to grow and get his experience.

Sounds like we have a good backup in case of injury or other issues.  But I have heard that they may use Atkinson once in a while as a change of pace and to give a different look. 

John Luke will be just fine. Austin will have a package to run a little bit of a read option look. Mainly to give other teams more to prepare for even though you may not see it more than once or twice during the season and probably wont see him throw much out of it. Great athlete but from what I hear his route running from the slot position is a little lack luster. Maybe he has been focusing to much on the back up QB position as opposed to the starting slot position. 

From my view Chace Collins has been the best player on the field for the Blues thus far and in the summer. Don't let his stature fool anyone, he is a spark plug on O and isn't afraid to mix it up a little bit on D.

JMO

In watching the Blue n White game--I was impressed with Chace also.  He reminds me of Caleb Jennings in size, but has the heart of a giant at his wideout position.  Last year when he took that wicked hit in a game  and bounced right back up was amazing.  I think he will be a key factor for the Blues this year. 

Great looking group of players....:-)

High expectations ahead for these Richlands seniors. pic.twitter.com/nT6R9gADb1

CMT29VeWEAAaRiS.jpg
11:53 AM - 13 Aug 2015 · Details

great state

Dang!  Those boys have been eating well...and living in the weight room...

That pic is my first look at em this year and mannnn,  they pass the look test !  It looks like a lot of cornbread and pinto beans and maybe a fried tater or 2  and a lot of time & hard work in the weight room.............. and it looks like it has paid off......big time !    Hopefully with that size and not as many playing both ways we can wear down a few teams late in the game !

Everything he says sounds " GREAT ".........lol.  But seriously,  he sounds like he's ready to go and has a "great" ( couldn't help myself....lol  )  attitude,  now we just wait ( not long now ! )  and see how it translates onto the field.  Personally,  I think the kid will do a good job after he gets a couple of quarters under his belt.  Just hope and pray we can get through the preseason stuff without any major injuries !

Hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the scrimmages tonight and hope all your teams come out of it with no injuries..............it's FOOTBALL season guys.........hell yea !