David Crockett, TN

Unionguy_2017

If the Union coach told you they were a solid program then you need to question his judgement. DC has always been a doormat program in Northeast Tennessee.

It was a really brief conversation. He may have worded it more like, "they have a couple of guys who are dangerous" or something like that.  I wouldn't impugn the guy too much.

That is two really different things there. Having "a couple guys who are dangerous" and "a solid program" are situations that are worlds apart. They are typically very undisciplined. Refs will have to keep a close hand on things. DC is still on probation from a melee during a game last year and they have a wide reputation for cheap shots. They had a new coach come in 3 or 4 years ago and seem to have more of a thug attitude since then but he has tried to get them some more wins by scheduling smaller schools. DC is a school of about 1300 to 1400 who has been scheduling out of conference games against schools half their size to hopefully get a few W's each year. The transfers from Science Hill were mostly basketball players. DC does have a senior QB who has been a starter since he was a freshman. I'd say that Union should be fine.

I have no idea about how good DC is except for what I have just read here,  but after Friday,  I know a lot about Union,  and I know they have size, speed, an offense that can both run and throw, a opportunistic defense,  good coaching, a great fanbase,  and their kids play with a lot of heart !  So I will take that combination anytime !  Playing a school that is over twice your size is daunting,  just the size of the school SHOULD mean they have a much bigger pool of athletes to choose from,  but I think this Union team will be fine.  They will have one of their best playmakers back which will make them even more dangerous so I think the Bears will come out with the win..........35 to 17.

My only concern would possibly be a little bit of a hangover from playing such a big and physical game this past friday,  but I think their coach will do a good job of getting them ready.

I just hope you guys come out of it healthy with no major injuries !  Good luck Bears,  make us proud and rep SWVA !

I have no idea about how good DC is except for what I have just read here, but after Friday, I know a lot about Union, and I know they have size, speed, an offense that can both run and throw, a opportunistic defense, good coaching, a great fanbase, and their kids play with a lot of heart ! So I will take that combination anytime ! Playing a school that is over twice your size is daunting, just the size of the school SHOULD mean they have a much bigger pool of athletes to choose from, but I think this Union team will be fine. They will have one of their best playmakers back which will make them even more dangerous so I think the Bears will come out with the win..........35 to 17.

My only concern would possibly be a little bit of a hangover from playing such a big and physical game this past friday, but I think their coach will do a good job of getting them ready.

I just hope you guys come out of it healthy with no major injuries ! Good luck Bears, make us proud and rep SWVA !

Thank you! I hope we represent well and take care of business. Who do you all play this week?

Thank you! I hope we represent well and take care of business. Who do you all play this week?

If I'm not mistaken, and somebody please correct me if I am, but I think we play Graham.

Always a hard fought and hard hitting game, and Graham is better than what some thought they might be this year.

We'll have to play a good game and limit turnovers to beat them.

Thank goodness it is at Ernie this week so we don't have to travel.

Crockett has an enrollment of 1306 students, according to TSSAA. They are classified as 5A in Tennessee, but are considered 4A in Virginia for the purpose of Power Points. Their record over the past 4 years has been:

'11 1-9
'12 2-8
'13 5-5
'14 5-5

They could conceivably go 5-5 again this year, and "IF" Union wins would give them 32 power points.

From viewing the limited video on their hudl page, they do have a good looking RB, QB, and WR.

We'll find out Friday for sure.

I watched sow film on these guys they don't look that bad. I work over there an somebody I knw that knws the team well said this is gonna be the best team they have had in awhile. I guess we will find out go bears.

They did lose to a team that plays on TV all the time last week so I wouldn't go by that game as a feeling about Crockett.

The tricky thing about this game (and Richlands vs Graham) is that Richlands and Union got so "up" for this game and now you have to avoid the letdown the week after. Both teams are favorites this week, and it will be the coaches jobs to keep the players motivated.

SWVA vs NET, I think were all Union fans this week!

Never in my worst nightmares did I ever think that DC could be considered a NET representative. Please look toward the Sullivan South and Sullivan North games with SWVA teams as being more representative of what decent NET football programs are about. The only decent wins DC has had in the last 2 years were both over Sullivan East the others were over much smaller schools or other perennial doormats. To put it in perspective DC beat East 26-20. South played them twice and beat them 40-0 (in a muddy rainstorm) and 56-0 in the playoffs.

Sorry folks for my rant here. For the last 3 years or so DC has been the antithesis of what you would want your sons football team to be all about. I'm a South/North/Gate City fan. That said, I'll lay off DC and just say "Go Bears!".

Sorry folks for my rant here. For the last 3 years or so DC has been the antithesis of what you would want your sons football team to be all about. I'm a South/North/Gate City fan. That said, I'll lay off DC and just say "Go Bears!".

No worries.

Outside of the last few years, do you have any info on how they have looked this year?

Also, how large are their visitor bleachers? They look kind of small on google maps. This being a new school on the schedule along with Union's expectations this year a LOT of fans will most likely travel there Friday.

Went to a band festival at Crockett, but that's been about 15 years ago. Decent visitors side seating then, from what I can recall. As for this year's DC team, they have lost to a school out of Burnsville, NC by 14, crushed  Chattanooga Howard by 50, but Howard barely has enough players to field a team and won't win a game. DC lost 48-14 last week to Morristown West, but I saw West take Knox Fulton down to the last minute before losing 12-9 in Week 1. West will probably make a fairly deep playoff run in Class 5A. Union should come out on top, but after what was an emotionally charged, 48+ minute struggle with Richlands, it may be tough to get back up.

DC had a good QB and a GREAT receiver, #7, that also served as DB and kick returner. He may have been the best player on the field last night. Running back was good, but he looked better on film. He was never able to get anything substantial through the line, but had some speed on some screen and toss sweeps. DC wasn't very big or strong, but they had speed and quickness to burn all over the field.

Not a bad team at all, just not a good 5A(NET) team. Union was hampered by injuries, so they had to go to the run early. It worked and eventually wore down DC in the 4th quarter, but was a slow go. Some bad play calls and untimely penalties made the game closer than it should have been.

I definitely have to give some props to the folks over in Jonesborough. Everyone I spoke with was nice as could be. Their guy on the golf cart gave an older Union couple a ride over to the away bleachers. Their cheerleaders brought our cheerleaders cookies, and a local church made over 700 meals for both teams, bands, cheerleaders, and any fans that wanted one.

They also had bathrooms and concession(complete with grilled hotdogs, hamburgers, and Chick fil A sandwiches) beside the away bleachers.