Holston at Marion

Canes00

This may make some people sick, but 3 Hogo teams could finish 1-9. If Marion beats Holston, and Holston beats Chilhowie and no other wins occur by the three teams, you have the possibility of the three worst teams in SWVA. Not something to think about if you are a Hogo fan. Thank God for GW.

Does anyone think that Marion going from the SWD to the Hogo may have hurt them in the long run? Last year I thought that a weaker regular season hurt them in the platoffs. Not bashing Marion just an outside observation. I know the SWD hasn't been real strong from top to bottom in the resent past, but if you match them up against the Hogo its better just because of school size.

Yes, you have a valid point. Marion would be best suited for the SW District. Marion has 660 students, way more than any school in the Hogo. The other schools are only around 300 to 400. But Marion keeps losing enrollment every year. Marion will have to move the boundary lines again, to make up for their loss in enrollment each year. Marion will take students from Chilhowie or Northwood in order to maintain their enrollment at around 660. They have the votes on the school board to do that, and they will, just like they did with Sugar Grove. SG had the choice of going to Chilhowie or Marion, but the school board mandated that all students attend Marion. It's Marion looking after Marion, at the expense of the smaller schools. Marion tries everything they can to maintain their size, but people just don't want to live in Marion. Folks prefer Abingdon, Wytheville, or even Chilhowie to Marion, and this just eats the crap out of Marion who tries everything known to man to promote the town. But little or no growth has occurred in Marion, but give them credit for trying. It's all politics. Marion is not going to grow much, if any. They are just trying to maintain, at the expense of their neighbors. Sad, but that is just the way it is in Smyth County.

Does anyone think that Marion going from the SWD to the Hogo may have hurt them in the long run? Last year I thought that a weaker regular season hurt them in the platoffs. Not bashing Marion just an outside observation. I know the SWD hasn't been real strong from top to bottom in the resent past, but if you match them up against the Hogo its better just because of school size.

The short answer, yes. The long answer, no. 

The general impression that I get from most folks involved in the football program, is that they weren't high on the idea of moving to the Hogo. Why would you want to move to a district that you will get no respect for playing in, and that you have had very little success playing against in the years leading up to the switch? In the two years prior to the switch, Marion finished second in the SWD, but would have finished (at best) 4th and 2nd if they had been playing in the Hogo. In the three years before joining, they went 7-6 in the SWD, and 6-5 against Hogo teams, so it's not like they were looking for a major boost in football success by making the switch. I know, that a lot of folks in the Hogo don't want to hear it because it's been played like a trumpet, but Marion is in the Hogo (at this point) for travel purposes. When the Smyth County School Board is so deep in the hole financially that their employees haven't gotten a raise in a decade, they are not going to be happy if your athletic department blows an opportunity to join a district where your longest trip is the same length as your shortest trip in the SWD, which is a shame, because in the long run it causes the success of the athletes to suffer. Sure, I'd guess that it has caused an increase in gate revenue, but I'm not sure that it's worth athletes being looked over in recruiting, because the perception is that their numbers are skewed by playing weak competition.

Bearing all that in mind, I will say that yes, it has hurt Marion as a whole when it comes to the postseason, but not in football. Its easy to look at volleyball and baseball, which Marion has been very successful in the past couple of years, and see that they left playoffs one or two rounds in, and that it was probably due to the fact that they had been playing 1A teams for months. But in football, Marion plays their district games first, and the last two years wrapped up the season with Union, VA High, and Abingdon. At the end of the day, it's tough to say that Marion's lack of solid competition caused them to get booted by Richlands, when Marion had routed Union four weeks earlier, and beaten Abingdon two weeks before. The fact of the matter is that Marion just wasn't motivated to play Richlands, or Chatham for that matter, and they played poorly because they didn't come to play, not because they hadn't seen anything like them before.

I have a Big Red bridge I would like to sell the person that beleives that Marion is in the Hogo for travel reasons. Northwood travels to Buchanan Co alot, and Chilhowie plays schools outside the I-81 travel corridor on a regular bases, and I hear no complaints from them about finance cost. Marion is in the Hogo simply to win games against smaller schools. Marion does not want to compete with schools their size, day in and day out. That is what citizens think and believe. Politics got them in the Hogo, and everyone knows that. Marion's entrance into the league was voted down several times by the Hogo, but Marion would not let up, and appealed the decision several times until the Sad VHSL gave in. It is not fair to either Marion or schools like Holston for Marion to be in the Hogo. A lot of folks consider Marion in the Hogo as a joke. Marion should be playing schools their size. The county just opened a 20 million dollar school for Marion just outside the boundary of Chilhowie students. Go figure that move, and give me a break!

People can bash Marion for being in the HOGO but let's remember those boys playing on that field had nothing to do with it. It's very sad when Marion has that many more students than the other schools but can only get the same amount or less of boys out for ball that the other smaller HOGO teams can. I am a Northwood alum but my children attend Marion now and I get so sick of hearing everyone bash Marion about the HOGO move. These young men that are playing for Marion could give two shits which district they play in, they play because they love the game. I would be inclined to agree with Marion playing in another district if they could get more kids interested in playing football but that will not happen until the current head coach is ran off. I mean if you have 300 plus boys in your school and you can only get 40 out for ball then that's a coaching problem. You can bash Marion all you want but the only ones really getting hurt are the kids playing sports because of the decisions some adults made.

I have a hard time understandign how Hogo fans can be mad at Marion for moving in and beating up on little schools when they all played Marion before they moved in anyway...

Espicially considering Marion hasnt been dominant in the hogo. What has their record been since they moved to the Hogo?  I would venture to say not better than .600

Thanks Plywood King. About 12 years ago Marion and Richlands used to be on about equal footing in football. The 1992 Richlands team had all they could handle from a bruising Marion team that year.

12???  2015-1992=23  Is that some sort of common core math you're using???

I have a hard time understandign how Hogo fans can be mad at Marion for moving in and beating up on little schools when they all played Marion before they moved in anyway...

I said the same thing when the move took place.  Northwood and Chilhowie have played them...well, forever it seems, George Wythe and Patrick Henry had played them recently up to that point.  That just left Rural Retreat and Holston.  Rural Retreat usualy has played up or at least scheduled thougher teams in their non district opponets anyway.  Holston, well their beef was we already play one 2a school John Battle.  Which brings me to another point, every HOGO team with the exception of Northwood and George Wythe plays a mininum of two 2A schools.  GW had played Tazewell the past couple of years and now picked up Honaker, so it's not like they scheduled light weights.

So in closing I suppose my point was Marion is in the HOGO, nothing you can do about it, they haven't won the "district title" in football since they came in, and Northwood has beaten them 2 years in a row. 

Marion should pick up Bland and the Cove. But that would mean they would have to travel to Scott Co and get on I-81 and I-77 to get to Bland. Man just think of the diesel fuel those big ole yellow buses would use. But wait! Diesel fuel cost is down now, so what excuse could be used for joining the Hogo. What is the price of air that goes in the tires or the carbuerator. Has air gone up recently? Please, someone say it has, anyone, please!

Marion should pick up Bland and the Cove. But that would mean they would have to travel to Scott Co and get on I-81 and I-77 to get to Bland. Man just think of the diesel fuel those big ole yellow buses would use. But wait! Diesel fuel cost is down now, so what excuse could be used for joining the Hogo. What is the price of air that goes in the tires or the carbuerator. Has air gone up recently? Please, someone say it has, anyone, please!

Psssshhhh forget playing bland and rye cove give us a couple years and we will start playing some middle school teams 

I should have said up until about 12 years ago, I just brought up the the 1992 game as an example of how close Marion and Richalnds games used to be. Gman I did graduate from Richlands so in all of my math classes in high school 2+2=FOOTBALL. LOL. 

Psssshhhh forget playing bland and rye cove give us a couple years and we will start playing some middle school teams 

Rye Cove did make the trip to Marion to scrimmage in baseball 2 seasons ago and left with more runs on the board.

Was just noting there was a reference point for them playing one another.  All this talk of Marion and the Hogo may be an afterthought pretty soon as there is a lot of talk of redoing the alignments again.  Who knows what system the VHSL will go to for each division + conference/district alignment.