Giles vs Graham

Akshun

Still sore from this weekend, I see.

Considering you had to disregard your phone or computer's spell check to make that particular mistake, I reserve the right to have a little good natured fun with it.  Life's pretty miserable if you can't laugh at yourself every once in a while.  

I don't exactly have the time to schlep on 3-hour round trips to watch high school football games.  My work schedule doesn't allow it, and I'm not exactly the fondest of leaving my 2-year-old and pregnant wife at home to go watch random games.  I go to Charlottesville 2-3 times per fall, and I have a bowling league during the week.  So, no, I haven't seen Christiansburg play.  

But I can look at common opponents and gauge their results against like competition.  

Christiansburg stands at 1-2.  Both Giles and Abingdon were seen as coin-flip games to determine where Christiansburg stood, and Christiansburg lost them both, one convincingly.  Patrick Henry-Roanoke and Salem will both beat Christiansburg and may beat them badly.  Christiansburg will beat Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, and Carroll County, which have a combined record of 1-9.  So that puts Christiansburg at 4-4 with two games that are close calls: Pulaski County and Blacksburg.  I'd give Pulaski County the edge, but I'd give Christiansburg the edge over Blacksburg.  That puts Christiansburg at 5-5 and in a clear lower rung in 3A.

So excuse me for not wetting myself over a team whose ceiling is 6-4 at best.

Well for one thing CBurg has lost alot of starters including 2 QB's in the Abingdon game so maybe they aren't a great team but when Giles played them(their first game) I was quite impressed with them to be honest....tons of speed and very physical....either way it's a good game for a 2A team

And it sure looks like you have tons of free time to me....you wrote a book for a message.

Also if all you go by is records then I guess Grundy is a state title contender this year....I mean heck they are 4-0...they must be good according to your logic

And I do apologize for not checking the spell-check when I posted that message....I guess I just figured most people would know what I meant to say....sorry mr perfect it won't happen again

Well for one thing CBurg has lost alot of starters including 2 QB's in the Abingdon game so maybe they aren't a great team but when Giles played them(their first game) I was quite impressed with them to be honest....tons of speed and very physical....either way it's a good game for a 2A team

And it sure looks like you have tons of free time to me....you wrote a book for a message.

Also if all you go by is records then I guess Grundy is a state title contender this year....I mean heck they are 4-0...they must be good according to your logic

And I do apologize for not checking the spell-check when I posted that message....I guess I just figured most people would know what I meant to say....sorry mr perfect it won't happen again

Yeah, the 15 minutes I spent on that post during my lunch break researching team records and typing 6 paragraphs, 3 of which were one-sentence blurbs, means that I have *so* much free time on my hands.  Can't argue with that ironclad logic, no siree bob.

Speaking of ironclad logic, I also appreciate you crafting that woefully deficient strawman when you attacked my valuation of teams.  Grundy is 4-0 because Grundy has played some of the worst high school football teams in the United States to get there.  Patrick-Henry Roanoke is 2-2 (2 losses by 6 points), and Salem is 3-0, by playing Southside teams that would eat the lunch of any SWVA team not named Richlands, Union, Abingdon, Pulaski County, or Giles.  I figured that you were rational enough to infer this...

But I appreciate you downgrading your estimation of Christiansburg, which matches objectivity.  Credit where credit's due.

P.S. As I said earlier, the "ALOT" was not supposed to be mean-spirited.  

I for one could care less what anybody thinks about my opinion. I will share the fact that Christiansburg is 1-2. They are very slow on defense. I do work in C Burg sometimes. . was down there last weekend in fact, talked to a good friend of mine with very close ties to the team. I won't mention his position...and he agrees with me. This is a re building year.

One other thing that I would like to say is before somebody bashes somebody else's opinion because they feel they need to drive all over the state and watch them first hand. . . or they must be an idiot. . . is this. . .

Why the heck don't you enlighten the rest of us as to where you get your vast knowledge before slamming somebody else's opinion.

You see flashes of greatness from Graham, but Graham is young and inconsistent with their performance. Timing and aggressiveness has been an issue with the passing game. The defense is much improved over last year (how could it not be?), but you'll see Graham out-of-position occasionally, and Graham doesn't have the cohesiveness yet to keep broken assignments from being huge gainers.

The Richlands game was inauspicious. Richlands took the fight to Graham, and Graham curled up in a little ball. Giles is a very physical team historically, and everything I've heard seems to back that up now. Theyyould look for a dominating performance from Giles.

I agree with most of this about Graham but I think it will be a good game. If Graham plays disciplined on defense and keep their linebackers home and don't over pursue . . . which has killed them against Giles the past couple years. . they will be fine. Grahams speed on defense can compensate a little bit for playing pursuit. . .but they have to play in their zones. Graham has to play physical as in the Bluefield game. They can't quit like they did against Richlands. I think Vineyards leadership at middle linebacker will make a difference this week. I just don't think Giles has played a strong opponent yet. So Graham may have a shot at them.

I for one could care less what anybody thinks about my opinion. I will share the fact that Christiansburg is 1-2. They are very slow on defense. I do work in C Burg sometimes. . was down there last weekend in fact, talked to a good friend of mine with very close ties to the team. I won't mention his position...and he agrees with me. This is a re building year.

One other thing that I would like to say is before somebody bashes somebody else's opinion because they feel they need to drive all over the state and watch them first hand. . . or they must be an idiot. . . is this. . .

Why the heck don't you enlighten the rest of us as to where you get your vast knowledge before slamming somebody else's opinion.

I'm like you I could give a flying crap with anyone thinks of my opinion....and my opinion is that your friend from CBurg is crazy, blind or both if he thinks this CBurg team is slow on either side of the ball...at least the game they played against Giles before they lost all of their players to injuries...and Giles has some good speed and they are way faster than Giles IMO

Yeah, the 15 minutes I spent on that post during my lunch break researching team records and typing 6 paragraphs, 3 of which were one-sentence blurbs, means that I have *so* much free time on my hands.  Can't argue with that ironclad logic, no siree bob.

Speaking of ironclad logic, I also appreciate you crafting that woefully deficient strawman when you attacked my valuation of teams.  Grundy is 4-0 because Grundy has played some of the worst high school football teams in the United States to get there.  Patrick-Henry Roanoke is 2-2 (2 losses by 6 points), and Salem is 3-0, by playing Southside teams that would eat the lunch of any SWVA team not named Richlands, Union, Abingdon, Pulaski County, or Giles.  I figured that you were rational enough to infer this...

But I appreciate you downgrading your estimation of Christiansburg, which matches objectivity.  Credit where credit's due.

P.S. As I said earlier, the "ALOT" was not supposed to be mean-spirited.  

Cburg before all of their injuries is a good not great team and a very good test for D2 Giles....No idea what they look like now with players out and frankly don't care but all I know is when they played Giles they were a good D3 team...and of course they won't beat Salem....I doubt anyone will....If they get players back they could beat PH(very undiscipline team every year) but I wouldn't know who to pick in that game

I agree with most of this about Graham but I think it will be a good game. If Graham plays disciplined on defense and keep their linebackers home and don't over pursue . . . which has killed them against Giles the past couple years. . they will be fine. Grahams speed on defense can compensate a little bit for playing pursuit. . .but they have to play in their zones. Graham has to play physical as in the Bluevield game. They can't quit like they did against Bluefirld. I think Vineyards leadership at middle linebacker will make a difference this week. I just don't think Giles has played a strong opponent yet. So Graham may have a shot at them.

If you aren't disciplined against Giles you have no shot of stopping them unless you just have tons of speed that can make up for mistakes like you said...or if you have a great DL like Glenvar did the 2nd time last year when they got their injured players back....we couldn't block that DL and you know the outcome

He is a little crazy. . . but I didn't see that speed you are talking about either. . .of course that was against Bluefield and they will make anybody look slow. Nobody will convince me that C Burg is any better than mediocre.

If you aren't disciplined against Giles you have no shot of stopping them unless you just have tons of speed that can make up for mistakes like you said...or if you have a great DL like Glenvar did the 2nd time last year when they got their injured players back....we couldn't block that DL and you know the outcome

Graham has plenty of speed but lack the good line play.

They probably aren't now with all their players out but when I saw them they were better than mediocre....oh well don't really matter we beat them and getting 3A points that's all I care about anyway...they will win some games i would hope

I'm not talking Bluefield speed but they are pretty fast

Giles by 40+

Guess we will find out Friday night if this Graham speed is enough to stop the Single Wing or not

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it will help to compensate but their linebackers and defensive ends will be the key to a good competitive game. . .or a lopsided game. Some of the other Graham fans may have already written them off after a bad loss, but I haven't. I have faith in these boys.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it will help to compensate but their linebackers and defensive ends will be the key to a good competitive game. . .or a lopsided game. Some of the other GrahamGraham fans may have already written them off after a bad loss, but I haven't. I have faith in these boys.

Im picking Graham in a close one

Graham 28

Giles 21

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it will help to compensate but their linebackers and defensive ends will be the key to a good competitive game. . .or a lopsided game. Some of the other Graham fans may have already written them off after a bad loss, but I haven't. I have faith in these boys.

This team just has me confused....they played a great game against Bluefield, got pushed around by Tazewell some, but got a good win, then totally quit and laid down like they were scared to death of Richlands. Plus it seems like they are talking more trash every game and getting stupid penalties...IDK what to expect from them against Giles?

This team just has me confused....they played a great game against Bluefield, got pushed around by Tazewell some, but got a good win, then totally quit and laid down like they were scared to death of Richlands. Plus it seems like they are talking more trash every game and getting stupid penalties...IDK what to expect from them against Giles?

I know what you mean. They need to make their play on the field do the talking. They looked great against Bluefield and terrible against Richlands. Graham is much better than what they showed the last time they played. Richlands is better than Graham. . .but you are right. . Graham quit when they got behind, reminded me of last season. The mouths need to be silenced also, just gives fuel for the opponent.

I think Tazewell will run the ball well against most teams. Their line is very solid. Tazewells problems are on the defensive side of the ball.

The kids are embarrassed of the way they played in their last game. They may win, they may lose. . .but I want to see them play for four quarters.

I may be in the minority but I'm picking Graham to bounce back and make a good showing.

G-Men quit 2 weeks in a row. Other than 29 and 17 they just don't attack and hit hard. Giles corners and safety were attacking and hitting hard. G-Men still arm tackling and tackling high most of the time. Seemed like Graham had a good scheme in place because they looked to be in position to stop the run, but they just weren't physical or athletic enough to stop Giles. 

G-Men quit 2 weeks in a row. Other than 29 and 17 they just don't attack and hit hard. Giles corners and safety were attacking and hitting hard. G-Men still arm tackling and tackling high most of the time. Seemed like Graham had a good scheme in place because they looked to be in position to stop the run, but they just weren't physical or athletic enough to stop Giles.

I agree completely. The poor tackling killed us. Offensively, the plays take too long to develop. We continue to throw the ball deep or throw that out pattern where the receiver gets nailed as soon as he touches it. May need to throw a quick slant or something and let your athletes make plays in space. Go across the middle once in a while, the sideline is our enemy. We need somebody to block for our running backs. I say just line up in the I or something and have a fullback block for them. The rbs are having to create yards on their own and that is not good. Long road ahead for Graham.

You are correct about 29 and 17, those are about the only 2 that play with aggression and remind me of old school Graham players and they both transferred in.