is a richlands vs union rematch the inevitable

UniON_FoOtBaLL

There are a lot of good teams out there, Appomattox, Glenvar, Giles, Buckingham, etc... Its far from a given that Union is a shoe in to make it out of the second round of the playoffs, much less any further. No need to let the Union kids get the big head and believe they can just show up and win. Thats not the case, and Union will have to play at 100% to win any playoff games.

And BTW, why would you want to play Richlands again? They may be the best team in the state, it took all Union had to beat them at home. Now Union was without one of its best playmakers in Noaks, but I would not count on Asbury throwing those INTs again. Id much rather have to play Glenvar/Giles/Appomattox/Buckingham than Richlands again.

And BTW, why would you want to play Richlands again? They may be the best team in the state, it took all Union had to beat them at home. Now Union was without one of its best playmakers in Noaks, but I would not count on Asbury throwing those INTs again. Id much rather have to play Glenvar/Giles/Appomattox/Buckingham than Richlands again.

Totally agree! If this had been a late season matchup, it wouldn't garner this much conversation. Until we get more aggressive with our play-calling, Union just may struggle with a first round opponent, let alone play with Richlands. We were expected to do that to Eastside, so I'll temper my enthusiasm. Richlands just happens to be the last game we played a solid 4 quarters.

Would love to see a Richlands vs Union championship. But the Gate City and Central games are a little concerning. Why were they so close? Was it play calling or did they have some kids out? Or maybe its just that Gate City and Central have been improving.

Would love to see a Richlands vs Union championship. But the Gate City and Central games are a little concerning. Why were they so close? Was it play calling or did they have some kids out? Or maybe its just that Gate City and Central have been improving.

Central was just downright pitiful play calling at the goal line. Union dominated every other aspect of the game.

Gate City was two things. 1. A much improved and completely healthy GC team that Richlands didn't see. 2. Poor defensive scheme by the DC. Never rushed the QB and played a prevent style secondary where the DBs just stood and waited for the receivers to catch the ball and THEN tried to do something about it. After 3 quarters of that they upped the pressure on the QB and started playing more aggressive in the secondary. GC didn't score in the 4th.

We shoulda beat Wise by 30. We were inside the 3 yard line three times and didnt score. WC's TD came in garbage time. 

If we draw Wise again, it likely wont be close.

We struggle containing elite QBs like Collier, he is a beast and he matches up well against Union, but I believe we are better overall. Gotta stop McLung tho

Along with the strong possibility of a Richlands/Union rematch, I would be shocked if a Western Region team doesn't win 2A state. 2A East is really freakin weak this year, CalPreps has only 2 East teams in the Top 10 of 2A--the highest ranked one being Goochland at #8

Gilliam also backs this up, his top 7 are all in the West

Oh and speaking of ratings, according to CalPreps and Gillliam, if Richalnds was still in 3A, they'd be ranked 2nd and 3rd, respectively

If they were still 4A (turn your clocks back to 2005 if you will) they'd be a respectable 11th and 9th.

Not bad for a school with 700 students

Along with the strong possibility of a Richlands/Union rematch, I would be shocked if a Western Region team doesn't win 2A state. 2A East is really freakin weak this year, CalPreps has only 2 East teams in the Top 10 of 2A--the highest ranked one being Goochland at #8

Gilliam also backs this up, his top 7 are all in the West

Oh and speaking of ratings, according to CalPreps and Gillliam, if Richalnds was still in 3A, they'd be ranked 2nd and 3rd, respectively

If they were still 4A (turn your clocks back to 2005 if you will) they'd be a respectable 11th and 9th.

Not bad for a school with 700 students

Yeah, it's hard not to see 1A going to the East and 2A going to the West. The rankings across all sites are pretty lopsided in both.

Burton Radford and GW are the only hopes for 1a west. As bad as I hate to say it essex may be a train that can't be derailed by a 1a team.

I agree, i think that this year Essex is on a different level than the other 1A schools maybe with the exception of Riverheads. I would love to see GW or Radford take it all