Virginia Coaching Search

hhstigers7327

I really hope that the cavs make a intelligent decision with this search. I attended my first college game yesterday at Scott stadium and really enjoyed it. The have very passionate fans and those fans deserve better than what they are getting. Looks to me they need to wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new staff but that's just my opinion.

Other than football and women's basketball, UVA has some of the top coaches in the land.  UVA won the Captial One Cup last year for having the top overall sports program in college...and that without a football program of which to speak!

UVA does just everything they can to screw over their "non elite" fans.  They take long time season ticket holders seats and give them to the big VSAF donors who rarely attend games.  A couple of years ago, UVA added a tariff on season baseball holders tickets as well.  Same with men's basketball.  The "regular" fans have been, or are being" squeezed out in favor of the deep pockets who wear khakis, button down shirts and striped ties to the games (when they come), and look down on the fans who are loud and vocal.

I earned my graduate degree from UVA but it is becoming harder and harder to support the VSAF...

One, about GDed time. 3 years too late, but better late than never, which is what all respectable UVA fans feared in their hearts.

And...

Other than football and women's basketball, UVA has some of the top coaches in the land. UVA won the Captial One Cup last year for having the top overall sports program in college...and that without a football program of which to speak!

UVA does just everything they can to screw over their "non elite" fans. They take long time season ticket holders seats and give them to the big VSAF donors who rarely attend games. A couple of years ago, UVA added a tariff on season baseball holders tickets as well. Same with men's basketball. The "regular" fans have been, or are being" squeezed out in favor of the deep pockets who wear khakis, button down shirts and striped ties to the games (when they come), and look down on the fans who are loud and vocal.

I earned my graduate degree from UVA but it is becoming harder and harder to support the VSAF...

This. All of this. The VAF is dysfunction junction. Almost as much as Virginia Athletics hiring an assistant AS with drug and DUI convictions.

I'm just hoping for repeat of the Tony Bennett hire.   An established, great coach that is a head coach already somewhere that none of us Hoo fans have gave a second thought as a candidate.  

Regardless of who is hired,  I firmly think that it's going to be a few years for the best case scenario of 8-9 wins per year happens.  Short of the RB's on O and LB's on D, we need a serious infusion of talent if for nothing else just to have depth.

Dline pass rush in the 4th quarter that last 2 years as a prime example.  Matt Johns at QB as another example.

One thing I noticed on Saturday at the football game...the large cups at the concession stand have all the sports on them EXCEPT football.  I thought that was interesting.

UVA fan in front of me said football was an afterthought at the University and that he would be very surprised if UVA spent the money on a "well known" coach.  He felt they would likely hire a lower level HC or an assistant from a P5 school.  Needless to say, he wasn't expecting a "WOW" sort of hire to replace London.

Not going to lie...

This was my best trip to Charlottesville, ever.  The UVA fans that I talked to/sat around us in the stadium (there were only a few) were extremely pleasant to be around.  Also, I got to enjoy Charlottesville on Friday...a couple of nice shopping areas out near our hotel (Barracks Rd. Shopping Center and The Shops at Stonefield...ate at Burtons Grill, very good food and local beer on tap) and I really liked the downtown mall.  My wife wanted to go to Monticello but we ran out of time.  Almost look forward to going back sometime...

I can see why football under London would be an afterthought. I mean everything they do as a team is just head scratching material. I didn't understand anything they tried to do offensively Saturday. I mean someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you have your primary tailback being used as the primary receiver. If your going to do that make him a slot back. You still have the Jets sweeps and the pop pass available along with the athleticism to be a reciever. #5 forget his name but he ran the ball very well and not just talking about the long td. At times he refused to go down. Looked like a good option at tb. Then you have Canaan Severin who barely graced the field in the first half came in and made a big impact on the game. He has done nothing but make huge catches this year! Why is he not on the field all the time? They used a three tight end formation quite a bit also and never really involved them in the passing game. Just a couple things I didn't understand. One last thing was the fake punt???? The poor punter done the best he could but wow you expect the punter to run for a 4th and forever?? That was a gift wrapped 3 points for tech.

Severin was questionable before the game with an injury. That would be my guess as to why he didn't play much in the first half.

Yes, he had a banged up shoulder...most were not expecting him to play at all.

One thing I noticed on Saturday at the football game...the large cups at the concession stand have all the sports on them EXCEPT football. I thought that was interesting.

UVA fan in front of me said football was an afterthought at the University and that he would be very surprised if UVA spent the money on a "well known" coach. He felt they would likely hire a lower level HC or an assistant from a P5 school. Needless to say, he wasn't expecting a "WOW" sort of hire to replace London.

Not going to lie...

This was my best trip to Charlottesville, ever. The UVA fans that I talked to/sat around us in the stadium (there were only a few) were extremely pleasant to be around. Also, I got to enjoy Charlottesville on Friday...a couple of nice shopping areas out near our hotel (Barracks Rd. Shopping Center and The Shops at Stonefield...ate at Burtons Grill, very good food and local beer on tap) and I really liked the downtown mall. My wife wanted to go to Monticello but we ran out of time. Almost look forward to going back sometime...

Stadium was easily 50/50 in terms of Hoos/Hokies. Hokies filled the place, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Glad you had a great time. Hoos are typically a classy, respectful lot, even during rivalry games. Bad apples in every bunch. And Charlottesville is a lovely place to shop. Truly, everything you could want there. Barracks Rd. is a good location. Schedule some time for Monticello in 2017!