VHSL Rule on football practice when temp is high

oldfalcon56

I may be wrong, but I don't think the VHSL does have a specific rule that covers heat related

Practice. I think the VHSL wants the school officials and coaches to use their common

Sense and limit practices, give plenty of water breaks, and if the heat is real bad, just

Cut it short and go home or watch film, or go to the gym.

A coach should not push players during oppressive heat days. Caution should always be taken

With every player during a heat wave. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Man,  things sure have changed from when this OLD man played back in the mid 70's.  I'm sure guys my age or close to it remember being fed salt tablets and if you ask for water,  you were weak and needed to toughen up........: )

I remember one practice it was around 90 and this was when I was playing in Maryland and the humidity up there in the summer is awful,  but I was getting a little weak and light headed and I ask for a water break,   I ended up running the steps on our stadium until I puked ........more than once.  My coach up there was a retired Marine Sargent and was one tough sob.

I remember salt tabs boy they were good! The VHSL does have recommendations based on the NFHS. At certain temps helmets are removed frequenly with plenty of water breaks, as it gets hotter it is suggested to go out light. Just to cya I am sure

Fortunately, those days are gone.  I've read too many stories of kids collapsing  of heat stroke or heat exhaustion, sometimes with tragic outcomes.  Back in those days, you probably didn't hear about it as much.  Above all, the safety of the kids should always be first and foremost.  

The VHSL has regulations in place and some school systems add their own regulations on top of that.

I think that the number is right around 99 or 100 for most places.

If things are scheduled at the right time of the day, it's pretty rare that the helmets have to come off. I think that the heat has affected the team that I am coaching only three days, so far. *knock on wood*

OH...MY...GAWD!  Rod is COACHING a team?!?!?!?!?  I just have to ask; A team of what? Wanna-be sports writers?  Keyboard commandos?  Barbie and Ken outfit designers?  Surely not football!  Say it ain't so! 

I think the heat may have gotten to me; causing me to misread the post...I'll check back later after the delusion has cleared.

Things have changed for the better.

I'm pretty sure that a couple of times me and some of my teammates were close to a heat stroke a few times and had no idea.......especially during the 2 a days. When I think back to how I was feeling at a couple of those practices and knowing what the signs of heat stroke are now I'm sure we were lucky / blessed that nobody had any serious issues from the heat back then, ( on our team, I know there were some across the country )    that's why I didn't say anything about it being " the good old days "  because at least in that department,  the changes have been for the better along with some of the other changes that help protect the kids now days.

Things have changed for the better.

I'm pretty sure that a couple of times me and some of my teammates were close to a heat stroke a few times and had no idea.......especially during the 2 a days. When I think back to how I was feeling at a couple of those practices and knowing what the signs of heat stroke are now I'm sure we were lucky / blessed that nobody had any serious issues from the heat back then, ( on our team, I know there were some across the country )    that's why I didn't say anything about it being " the good old days "  because at least in that department,  the changes have been for the better along with some of the other changes that help protect the kids now days.

And it can still be tough to manage.

We're pretty careful with our guys and we still had one sent to hospital for dehydration. The temps this week are brutal.

OH...MY...GAWD!  Rod is COACHING a team?!?!?!?!?  I just have to ask; A team of what? Wanna-be sports writers?  Keyboard commandos?  Barbie and Ken outfit designers?  Surely not football!  Say it ain't so! 

I think the heat may have gotten to me; causing me to misread the post...I'll check back later after the delusion has cleared.

Rod's team...

8d4d9f24c83d0195b4c74850dca64ecb.jpg