Bad Press for Gate City

Widespread_Panic

I was about to say the same thing Stripes. If anything, the Clerk should be held accountable. WJHL makes it sound like he was a stellar athlete. If that was the case, he would've been on varsity to begin with.

It doesn't have a lot of information, and I'm not sure exactly how the law works on this type of thing (maybe UVAO could clear things up) but is the clerk required to inform the school when the charges were filed, and if so, did she do it? Obviously, there was a HUGE error made when it was not reported that two students plead guilty to a felonious sex crime, but if it was reported that they were being charged, Gate City is very much at fault (in my opinion) for considering two students who were awaiting trial for a crime of that magnitude to be considered in good standing.

Again, I'm very ignorant on the subject, and the article raises more questions than it answers, but I'm not willing to jump to GC's defense yet.

Innocent till proven guilty, business allow you paid leave in this situation but students, I don't know. I know very little about this and it's case by case I suppose

That's true, but if a college athlete is charged with a felony, you can bet they will be suspended until the issue is resolved. Even Jameis Winston was suspended during his issues at FSU, as ridiculous and slimy as FSU was in regards to dealing with that. At the same time, high school isn't college, and if they were tried as juveniles, things get even murkier when you are running the risk of jeopardizing their anonymity. But, if GC's hands were really tied on the situation, that scares me a little bit.

Again, the article raised a lot of questions regarding who to blame (except with the Clerk's office, who really, really screwed up).

They both received supervised probation for taking a plea deal of a lesser charge. It said the clerk had 15 days to inform the school system and failed to do so. There seems to be a lot of different stories out about it. It's difficult to talk about when it involves minors. I just know I couldn't put an 11 year old child on the news to be interviewed.

It doesn't have a lot of information, and I'm not sure exactly how the law works on this type of thing (maybe UVAO could clear things up) but is the clerk required to inform the school when the charges were filed, and if so, did she do it? Obviously, there was a HUGE error made when it was not reported that two students plead guilty to a felonious sex crime, but if it was reported that they were being charged, Gate City is very much at fault (in my opinion) for considering two students who were awaiting trial for a crime of that magnitude to be considered in good standing.

Again, I'm very ignorant on the subject, and the article raises more questions than it answers, but I'm not willing to jump to GC's defense yet.

Clerks cannot release that information. It's actually felonious for court officials to release information regarding juveniles.

I hope that someone from the BHC is reading this.

Edit: Aside from the school system exception for sexual offenses, which I bet is what confused everyone in the first place.

Looks very bad, but has absolutely nothing to do with Gate City High School. Also sounds like there's a lot more to this story than has been reported.

That is almost always the case. It can often be quite tough to get things said on record, even when you and the person you are interviewing know the truth.

Some of Nate Morabito's tweets on the matter....

Nate Morabito â€@WJHL_Nate Aug 15

Attorney who represented the sex abusers in this case is a state lawmaker. He voted for law that we found out wasn't followed in this case.

Nate Morabito â€@WJHL_Nate Aug 15

Gate City High School baseball player promoted to varsity after sexually abusing child, then district takes action

Nate Morabito Verified account â€@WJHL_Nate Aug 15

Could not have told this story of a system failure w/o the guidance of @opengovva. Public deserved to know all along

Nate Morabito Verified account â€@WJHL_Nate Aug 15

By law clerk was supposed to notify school district within 15 days of guilty plea. She didn't until we got involved.

https://twitter.com/WJHL_Nate

Here's Morabito's write-ups:

http://wjhl.com/2016/08/16/judge-finds-gate-city-teens-guilty-sentences-them-to-stiffer-punishment-before-plea-deal/

http://wjhl.com/2016/08/15/gate-city-high-school-baseball-player-promoted-to-varsity-team-after-sexually-abusing-child/

In my opinion, felony charges should lead to suspension of all extra curricular activity privileges for all public school students until the issue is resolved.  Unfortunately, that is often not the case.  Typically, those kids committing felonies are often the most aggressive and have the most to offer an athletic program, therefore, it is "overlooked" by all involved.  

However, these article(s) read as much more of an indictment on the Scott County Clerks Office than the Gate City School System.    

The parents of the 11 year old boy should be strung up by their collective balls for allowing that kid to be interviewed on television.  Based on the information at hand, it's reasonable to assume rational, reasonable and responsible parenting isn't a strong suit in that household!

The parents of the 11 year old boy should be strung up by their collective balls for allowing that kid to be interviewed on television.  Based on the information at hand, it's reasonable to assume rational, reasonable and responsible parenting isn't a strong suit in that household!

It's hard to judge the reactions of any parents who have to go through something like this ordeal. I'm guessing they were beyond frustrated by the situation and thought this was the only way to get their story out to the public.

If it wasn't about the school system , then they should've left that out of their headline and not contacted the VHSL IMO. When you put out a headline of "Gate City baseball player promoted to varsity after sexually abusing a child", the school is automatically the one that gets the blame. They made him out to be a star athlete. If that was the case, he would've been on varsity to begin with. Anybody that knows an ounce about high school sports would know that. Once he made the comment about the clerk, then it was because "the clerk was obviously covering it up for the school". I guarantee you though, when Richlands rolls into town next week, WJHL will be the first ones through the gate to get highlights.

I can understand a parent being upset, but there's still no way I'd put my child on the news talking about it and I wouldn't have been on Facebook telling the world "that's my son". To me, that's exploitation.

I have known the mother of the victim since we were kids.  Sadly having her kid on TV for this isnt surprising to me.   

UVAObserver, could you confirm something for me, the person who would notify the school system (or legally can they) would they have worked for the clerks office directly or for the judge who oversaw juvenile court?

It's hard to judge the reactions of any parents who have to go through something like this ordeal. I'm guessing they were beyond frustrated by the situation and thought this was the only way to get their story out to the public.

I get parent frustration when being forced into such an ordeal more than you may imagine, believe me!  

But as a parent, you have to do what is in the long term best interest of your child.  Having them front and center on the 6 o'clock news isn't in that child's best interest.  The first call should have been to law enforcement and the second should have been lining up interviews with qualified therapists with extensive backgrounds in helping kids who have been victimized.  At the end of the day, your child is all that matters.  Get them the help they will need to cope with the situation.  Nothing else really matters.  

As someone currently in the media business I question the integrity of the reporter as much as anyone in this instance. 

Had the accusers not been athletes, this would not be a story at all. 

Gotta feel sorry for the victim wholeheartedly never the less.   

I have known the mother of the victim since we were kids. Sadly having her kid on TV for this isnt surprising to me.

UVAObserver, could you confirm something for me, the person who would notify the school system (or legally can they) would they have worked for the clerks office directly or for the judge who oversaw juvenile court?

With regards to sexual registry offenses, the judge would direct the clerk. For anything else, it is felonious for court officials to release information regarding juveniles.