Biggest Surprise / Biggest Let Down Teams so far?

bgibb

Graham did as good a job as anyone in 2003. If only they hadn't spotted him 27 points before mounting the comeback.

Still pissed at Groh for misusing him.

He was a special,special talent. One of the best I've seen since the Jones boys and Babb with my own eyes, haven't seen a lot of the greats out east like Curry or Vick.

I was surprised then not now that they are 6-1 and should be 7-0 but blew their game vs Richlands.

I, being a Richlands fan, would not look forward to playing Graham again.  However,  I can't agree with the comment that Graham blew the game with Richlands.  The G-men  jumped out to an early lead at home, then were outscored 31-3 over the last 2 1/2 quarters. Richlands dominated the line of scrimmage and outscored them 17-0 in the second half. I don't think Richlands falling behind so early was all that surprising... considering Richlands had played Union the week before while Graham basically had a practice game (Tazewell).  I'm sure Graham has improved and would be a significant obstacle should Richlands play them again..... but the implication that Graham put on the brakes after a quarter and a half, as a poster in another thread has implied, is a gross overstatement.

Richlands best scenario is to get the 1 seed and force Graham and Appo to play each other and Richlands stay way from them for as long a season possible. If that were to happen, that 3rd round game with Dan River would be a big one.

^ I think it had just as much to do with Graham not being in that position before as richlands dominating the line of scrimmage

Graham just flat didn't timely adjust to Richlands's adjustments. By the time Palmer got the ship back on course, time ran out. Chalk it up to a young coach, whom I'm confident learns from his mistakes.

The likeliest scenario has Appomattox coming to Bluefield for Round 3, which will be very interesting. Dan River would travel to Richlands, and Dan River is every bit as good as Appo.

Would tickle me to see a Graham/Richlands state title game. But, counting chickens...

Richlands best scenario is to get the 1 seed and force Graham and Appo to play each other and Richlands stay way from them for as long a season possible. If that were to happen, that 3rd round game with Dan River would be a big one.

Graham just flat didn't timely adjust to Richlands's adjustments. By the time Palmer got the ship back on course, time ran out. Chalk it up to a young coach, whom I'm confident learns from his mistakes.

The likeliest scenario has Appomattox coming to Bluefield for Round 3, which will be very interesting. Dan River would travel to Richlands, and Dan River is every bit as good as Appo.

Would tickle me to see a Graham/Richlands state title game. But, counting chickens...

Guys, don't worry about Dan River. Union will take care of them for you. Then you only have to worry about little ol' us. :)

Hey now guys, Union may have a lilmto say about all this, we did just barely lose at Richlands in OT after having big lead in 4th, don't count us out lol

NO OTHER TEAM HAS GIVEN JLA FITS LIKE UNION, THEY WERE ALL OVER HIM AND A PIC 6 BY MITCHELL. ALL LAST YEAR WE HEARD TIME AND AGAIN HOW RICHLANDS WOULD KICK UNION TAIL IF THEY PLAYED AGAIN, WELL NOW ITS UNIONS TURN, I BELIEVE THAT IF UNION WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH THE FULLHOUSE ,WE WOULD HAVE WON.BUT CANDY AND NUTS RIGHT! WE WOULD LIKE TO THINK OUR OPINION MATTERS,BUT THE GAME IS DETERMINED BETWEEN THE HASH MARKS, AND EVERY TEAM HAS GOTTEN BETTER,AND BARRING INJURIES I SEE SOME RELLY GOOD 2ND ROUND GAMES AND 1ST TOO IN THE WEST, BUT DANG IT I DONT WANT TO GO TO CLARKE COUNTY AGAIN....WEW THATS A LONG DRIVE. I THINK IF THE DRIVE IS OVER 4 HOURS FOR ANY TEAM THEY SHOULD MEET AT A HALFWAY SITE.

Hopefully Union won't have to meet up with a team that runs the single wing before then ;) haha jk I would love for a Union/Giles matchup

Union has improved against the run this year, and as much as I admire Gile's machine-like operation of the single wing, I DO NOT want to see them in the playoffs. haha

Regular season or benefit game would be pretty cool though!

There was no stopping him.

Hall was out of Gretna after the 2004 season. Doesn't seem like that long ago.

Good gracious, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago at all!

There was no stopping him.

No there wasn't, but I did see Christiansburg give Gretna all they wanted in the payoffs his senior year. One of the best high school games I've seen. I think the final was 49-44, if memory serves.

Union has improved against the run this year, and as much as I admire Gile's machine-like operation of the single wing, I DO NOT want to see them in the playoffs. haha

Regular season or benefit game would be pretty cool though!

Honestly, this year, a team with a quick passing attack, a mobile QB and 2-3 good WR scare me more than a dominant run team. I do think Union holds up better last year against Clarke if Barnett woilve been healthy (he's playing great at UVAW), but I think this years team has fewer quality DBs. Fannon is a very good S and Jenkins is very athletic and talemted (but occasionally will give up a big play) but our LBs aside from Mitchell struggle in pass coverage. The DL can get pressure on slow developing routes, but quick passing attack cost us a chance to win @Richlands scares me. Mobile QBs too, Collier at QB gave us fits. Not really designed run from a QB but just scrambles have hurt Union.

Having a young QB scares me at times decision wise, he someti es stares down his primary and doesn't scan the field,but he's impressed me a lot for being a first year starter. Union is much better at running the ball this season, four quality RBs, Turner can run when needed and the passing game is deadly with Mitchell!and Jenkins. I hope Union has ways too get Owens involved more so on offense against better teams, his speed is game changing.

I honestly believe any of the top five seeds canwin a state title this year, it will depend on what teams play more efficiently, injuries and matchups. Unions shown they can play w Richlands, and they're as good as anyone. Dan River is elite, Appo is defending champs with a ton of talent and the favorite IMO, Graham might have the best runner in 2A and would give Union a MUCH tougher time than they did last year, and Union has a great team overall.

But honestly one of!y biggest worries is the kicking game. Union struggles on PATs, much less any FGs and we all know how crucial every single point is between two good teams.

Honestly, this year, a team with a quick passing attack, a mobile QB and 2-3 good WR scare me more than a dominant run team. I do think Union holds up better last year against Clarke if Barnett woilve been healthy (he's playing great at UVAW), but I think this years team has fewer quality DBs. Fannon is a very good S and Jenkins is very athletic and talemted (but occasionally will give up a big play) but our LBs aside from Mitchell struggle in pass coverage. The DL can get pressure on slow developing routes, but quick passing attack cost us a chance to win @Richlands scares me. Mobile QBs too, Collier at QB gave us fits. Not really designed run from a QB but just scrambles have hurt Union.

Having a young QB scares me at times decision wise, he someti es stares down his primary and doesn't scan the field,but he's impressed me a lot for being a first year starter. Union is much better at running the ball this season, four quality RBs, Turner can run when needed and the passing game is deadly with Mitchell!and Jenkins. I hope Union has ways too get Owens involved more so on offense against better teams, his speed is game changing.

I honestly believe any of the top five seeds canwin a state title this year, it will depend on what teams play more efficiently, injuries and matchups. Unions shown they can play w Richlands, and they're as good as anyone. Dan River is elite, Appo is defending champs with a ton of talent and the favorite IMO, Graham might have the best runner in 2A and would give Union a MUCH tougher time than they did last year, and Union has a great team overall.

But honestly one of!y biggest worries is the kicking game. Union struggles on PATs, much less any FGs and we all know how crucial every single point is between two good teams.

Considering what Richlands has done since, I think we limited them pretty well in the passing game. Way better than I expected, and I don't see us playing another team with an equal passing attack. Hope not anyways.

I'm hoping the FG/PAT situation works itself out.

I would really like to see us stay in the T and just pass out of it. Owens is deceptively fast. I think pounding between the tackles out of the T and then a toss to him on the outside could really catch teams off guard. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some catches in space and see what he can do.

NO OTHER TEAM HAS GIVEN JLA FITS LIKE UNION, THEY WERE ALL OVER HIM AND A PIC 6 BY MITCHELL. ALL LAST YEAR WE HEARD TIME AND AGAIN HOW RICHLANDS WOULD KICK UNION TAIL IF THEY PLAYED AGAIN, WELL NOW ITS UNIONS TURN, I BELIEVE THAT IF UNION WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH THE FULLHOUSE ,WE WOULD HAVE WON.BUT CANDY AND NUTS RIGHT! WE WOULD LIKE TO THINK OUR OPINION MATTERS,BUT THE GAME IS DETERMINED BETWEEN THE HASH MARKS, AND EVERY TEAM HAS GOTTEN BETTER,AND BARRING INJURIES I SEE SOME RELLY GOOD 2ND ROUND GAMES AND 1ST TOO IN THE WEST, BUT DANG IT I DONT WANT TO GO TO CLARKE COUNTY AGAIN....WEW THATS A LONG DRIVE. I THINK IF THE DRIVE IS OVER 4 HOURS FOR ANY TEAM THEY SHOULD MEET AT A HALFWAY SITE.

This is the stuff that gets to me each year... people whining about having to travel.  Get over it.  Make the trip, wherever it may be or stay home and listen to it on the radio.  It could be worse... one of these days, maybe you'll wind up going to Nandua or Arcadia over on Chincoteague island.

Considering what Richlands has done since, I think we limited them pretty well in the passing game. Way better than I expected, and I don't see us playing another team with an equal passing attack. Hope not anyways.

I'm hoping the FG/PAT situation works itself out.

I would really like to see us stay in the T and just pass out of it. Owens is deceptively fast. I think pounding between the tackles out of the T and then a toss to him on the outside could really catch teams off guard. Wouldn't mind seeing him get some catches in space and see what he can do.

Well Union did very well at the LOS against RHS, but they really started to move the ball when they went huryp up, five wide, with quick throws letting their WRs go up and make plays. Most teams don't have as many quality WRs as Richlands, but when teams do it really puts Union in a tougher spot because the lack of size at CB can be exploited and athleticism in the middle can do damage. Add in the threat of a QB taking off, I think that's how I would try and beat Union. Its gonna be rough for any team to block our DL on slow developing passes and the LBs have played extrnemly well against the run. People often overlook Mitchell's defensive prowess, his size and speed and willingness to lay the wood make him a force on defense. I don't know all the kids names, but Zirkle is a hard nosed kid willing to mix it up and is a good run stopper, 24 is all over the field making plays Fannon is basically a hybrid STAR bc of his ability against the run. The DL is the strength, four legit playmakers, but no area is extremely weak but if I had to choose, I'd attack thru the air instead of in the teeth of the D.

And I like the T, its worked well, but I really love how many options the spread gives us. It allows us to get Owens in space on jet sweeps, Fannon the ability to run inside or out, and Zirkel the ability to hit the A and B gaps up the middle while still being able to get our best playmaker, Mitchell, involved in both the run and the pass. And the WR group is a good unit, 21, 4, and 10 can all make plays as well. Mix that in with Turner showing nimble feet, the spread gives us the most diverse ways to attack any defense.

But having the T in your back pocket is a wonderful trump card, if Union wants to milk clock and keep an opposing offenses okn the sidelines they can run out of the T and rack up first downs and eat time.

Well Union did very well at the LOS against RHS, but they really started to move the ball when they went huryp up, five wide, with quick throws letting their WRs go up and make plays. Most teams don't have as many quality WRs as Richlands, but when teams do it really puts Union in a tougher spot because the lack of size at CB can be exploited and athleticism in the middle can do damage. Add in the threat of a QB taking off, I think that's how I would try and beat Union. Its gonna be rough for any team to block our DL on slow developing passes and the LBs have played extrnemly well against the run. People often overlook Mitchell's defensive prowess, his size and speed and willingness to lay the wood make him a force on defense. I don't know all the kids names, but Zirkle is a hard nosed kid willing to mix it up and is a good run stopper, 24 is all over the field making plays Fannon is basically a hybrid STAR bc of his ability against the run. The DL is the strength, four legit playmakers, but no area is extremely weak but if I had to choose, I'd attack thru the air instead of in the teeth of the D.

And I like the T, its worked well, but I really love how many options the spread gives us. It allows us to get Owens in space on jet sweeps, Fannon the ability to run inside or out, and Zirkel the ability to hit the A and B gaps up the middle while still being able to get our best playmaker, Mitchell, involved in both the run and the pass. And the WR group is a good unit, 21, 4, and 10 can all make plays as well. Mix that in with Turner showing nimble feet, the spread gives us the most diverse ways to attack any defense.

But having the T in your back pocket is a wonderful trump card, if Union wants to milk clock and keep an opposing offenses okn the sidelines they can run out of the T and rack up first downs and eat time.

True about the spread and its options. I just like cramming the ball down my opponent's throat. Guess I'm "old school." Lol.