Fort Chiswell @ Graham

starcityfootballfan

I don't go by ratings, I go by points. That's what matters.

Points are good to keep track of and a good measurement of where teams are, compared to others, throughout the season. All things being equal, the team with the most points at the end of the season is going to have the highest rating. 

However, things aren't always equal. So, if Team A has 200 pts with a 10 game schedule(200/10=20) and Team B has 181 points on a 9 game schedule(181/9=20.11) then Team B gets the nod because they have the higher rating. It is true that the weekly rating doesn't matter until the season is over, but the rating and not the point total is what ultimately matters.

Points are good to keep track of and a good measurement of where teams are, compared to others, throughout the season. All things being equal, the team with the most points at the end of the season is going to have the highest rating.

However, things aren't always equal. So, if Team A has 200 pts with a 10 game schedule(200/10=20) and Team B has 181 points on a 9 game schedule(181/9=20.11) then Team B gets the nod because they have the higher rating. It is true that the weekly rating doesn't matter until the season is over, but the rating and not the point total is what ultimately matters.

Right. But when I look at what Richlands needs for X seed next week, I'm gone look at the points, not the ratings. I know that the rating is what they go by, but the rating comes from the points.

What team in 2A only plays 9 games?

A little tidbit from last year. Salem and Carroll due to bad weather cancelled their game. The points they were going to be getting for beating Carroll wasn't going to give them many points. Would have brought down their average and lower their seeding. 9 games figured in. Stayed 1 seed.

What team in 2A only plays 9 games?

This year, in the West? I think everyone gets credit for 10 games. Dan River does "play" 9, but they get credit for a forfeit over Bartlett Yancey.

Goochland essentially plays a 9 game schedule because they don't get credit for playing Fork Union, so their points would be divided by 9.

I was mostly trying to explain why the final rating and not the final points is what truly matters when instances of a 9 game schedule are thrown into the mix.

Right. But when I look at what Richlands needs for X seed next week, I'm gone look at the points, not the ratings. I know that the rating is what they go by, but the rating comes from the points.

And for your purposes it won't matter since the top 4 teams' points will all be divided by 10. In that case total points will essentially = final rating as far as ranking goes.

A little tidbit from last year. Salem and Carroll due to bad weather cancelled their game. The points they were going to be getting for beating Carroll wasn't going to give them many points. Would have brought down their average and lower their seeding. 9 games figured in. Stayed 1 seed.

Perfect example of when all things aren't equal! I was hoping that Union/Eastside would have been cancelled for the same reason. Would have raised Union's rating.

And for your purposes it won't matter since the top 4 teams' points will all be divided by 10. In that case total points will essentially = final rating as far as ranking goes.

Exactly. I know you you're saying about the 9 game thing. We had that come up a few seasons back.

And it was!

Fort had me worried for about 8 minutes into the first quarter....but Graham's speed was too much for them.  The Defense turned it up a notch after that first quarter too.   Got good pressure on the qb.  I like the way that Graham is now rotating their linemen in and out, got a good rotation going.  Workman, Gray, Oaks, Mason were getting good pressure in passing situations.... lineplay is looking better.  FC had some size to their line and #7 for them was one heck of a ball player.  (Rider)