East Teams Travel

87Tiger

Over on VaPreps, it's a bitch session on how far the East teams are having to travel to play at VHS.  Damn, how many times have the West teams had to travel to the Eastern Shore (Hampton) or Richmond (VCU), etc, to play?  A lot more than the East has had to come West!  If the VHSL is not going to come up with a central location annually, like Roanoke, then alternating is the only right thing to do.  The East is so pampered by VHSL.

In GA, the lower seed travels to the higher seed through the first three rounds.  Semi's are played at the University of West GA (7AAAAAAA division) with the championship at Ga Tech.  Other divisions play their finals at Ga Tech as well, with some divisions playing the finals at UGA.

No one from the East will EVER get much sympathy from me in terms of travel time. I don't think anyone in SWVA will. We've had to travel 10+ hours for years, so they can deal with a little travel.

I remember as a kid making the trips out East when PV was playing for state titles and GC had it even worse in 2A (modern 3A, PV was A Div 2, Appalachia A Div I).

In GA, the lower seed travels to the higher seed through the first three rounds.  Semi's are played at the University of West GA (7AAAAAAA division) with the championship at Ga Tech.  Other divisions play their finals at Ga Tech as well, with some divisions playing the finals at UGA.

U of West Georgia was West Georgia State Braves back in the mid 90s wasnt it?  First baseball field I ever saw with the grass cut out around the plate, mound bases and shortshop but everything else was grass.  Went to a football camp there in Carrollton and every day before our 2pm session it would pour the rain for 5 minutes and feel like a sauna the rest of the day.  Brutal.

Over on VaPreps, it's a bitch session on how far the East teams are having to travel to play at VHS. 

I would agree with the top seeds from the East. The 1 and 2 seeds from the East get the reward of traveling all the way to Bristol to play a West 3 or 4 seed who has a signficant travel advantage. If you are a 1 or 2 seed you should get to host somewhere near your school.

I think they should have had Quarters on Tuesday and let the top seed host two games at one location and the 3/4 travel. 

Example:

In 1A boys, Radford/GW host the 3/4 seed from east on Tuesday at Va High while Honaker/Eastside travel to East 1/2 seed (like JMU or VCU). 

Winners then travel to Va High for games on Saturday as scheduled. I really feel the top seeds from the East are hindered and at a disadvantage. 

I think they should have had Quarters on Tuesday and let the top seed host two games at one location and the 3/4 travel.

Example:

In 1A boys, Radford/GW host the 3/4 seed from east on Tuesday at Va High while Honaker/Eastside travel to East 1/2 seed (like JMU or VCU).

Winners then travel to Va High for games on Saturday as scheduled. I really feel the top seeds from the East are hindered and at a disadvantage.

And next year west travels to the east! Until they have a central location someone will get screwed every year. I don't feel any sympathy for the crybaby east! Far Southwest travels all the time. It's about time they have to come to us.

1A next year is in Salem isn't it?  I haven't checked out Preps, but I am guessing it's the Lancaster folks who are raising hell?  I know they did last year when they had to go to Wise.  Even if Lancaster makes it next year to Salem, that's still a long haul for them.  Oh well.... no sympathies from me. 

And next year west travels to the east! Until they have a central location someone will get screwed every year. I don't feel any sympathy for the crybaby east! Far Southwest travels all the time. It's about time they have to come to us.

Except in spring sports, and that's always been at Radford which is in our back door.

I think it's great swva gets to host 1a and 2 a bi-yearly. But for a change, I see their complaint with quarter finals game locals. It's not fair

I wish with the current system they would have just had an Elite 8 at a central location.  Maybe 3 sites.  1a/2a site, 3a/4a site, 5a/6a site and try to rotate the sites each year.    Or two sites with 1-3a and 4-6a at locations together.