GC @ Ridgeview

Grapeape

8 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Could it be GC is just that bad? I know a far fetched idea since GC is always on top of their high horse...

Sure play calling and such are important but you could bring any coach into some teams and they won't win... 

Classic GC though, it is not the kids its the coach. You all are starting a vicious cycle with that idea. 

GC fans this year sounds a lot like the Graham fans through the Doug Marrs years. 

let the guy/coaching staff coach for 2 years... If things do not progress then your complaints are minorly valid. Changing a culture of a program is tough and Seniors/Juniors are tough kids to buy into something they will be departing. 

It seems like Gc wants to go 10-0 scoring 70+ a game (exaggerating but you get my drift). 

26 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

let the guy/coaching staff coach for 2 years... If things do not progress then your complaints are minorly valid. Changing a culture of a program is tough and Seniors/Juniors are tough kids to buy into something they will be departing. 

It seems like Gc wants to go 10-0 scoring 70+ a game (exaggerating but you get my drift). 

No, GC does not demand or expect 10-0 and 70 points per game scored, so no.......I don't get your drift. 

Additionally, if the staff have has 2 years and things do not progress, then again we disagree as the complaints are not "minorly" valid.  They in fact, would be VERY valid.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The coach is the least of the problems at GC. They can fire Akers and hire the best coach in America but it won't change anything. 

With all due respect to your opinion of which I respect, we disagree. The coach is a very large problem at GC.  Is he the sole problem?  No.  Is he the main and primary problem?  Nope, he's not, but is he part of the problem?  Yes, he is.  The AD is the biggest problem and the root cause who has to go.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

GC fans this year sounds a lot like the Graham fans through the Doug Marrs years. 

When Chris Akers starts giving away home games (and thousands in gate revenues) to go watch his son ride the pine at UNC, maybe then will all the whining be justified.  We also gave Doug 5 years, which is generous compared to what GC's doing after 1.5.

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, no, no, lets not talk about that, lol.  Lets focus on Hurley and Tazewell for comparison.  I repeat this again......GC isn't Hurley, Tazewell, or Graham, and no offense to any of the 3, GC has won much more and far more historically, and that's a simple fact.  The comparison with Hurley and Tazewell is laughable and absurd.  The comparison with Graham is reasonable as the G-Men have a history of winning, but the two still ain't the same, and I have no idea what Graham fans stated when they were down those years after Coach Carlock left.  It does go to show one thing.....you actually can have a bad apple or two, make the necessary changes, and move on and be good again.  Graham is an example of that.

4 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

With all due respect to your opinion of which I respect, we disagree. The coach is a very large problem at GC.  Is he the sole problem?  No.  Is he the main and primary problem?  Nope, he's not, but is he part of the problem?  Yes, he is.  The AD is the biggest problem and the root cause who has to go.

I don't think we truly disagree. Until the biggest problem is dealt with changing the other problems will not help. 

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

When Chris Akers starts giving away home games (and thousands in gate revenues) to go watch his son ride the pine at UNC, maybe then will all the whining be justified.  We also gave Doug 5 years, which is generous compared to what GC's doing after 1.5.

You are right about 1 part of your post and incorrect on the rest in my opinion.  GC fans aren't waiting half of a decade to lose.  We have won before and perhaps not as patient, but I like to put it this way......we are smart fans and know football and understand quickly when we have a bad situation and don't wait 1/2 of a decade.  You call that generous.  I call that...not very smart.  As for Gate Revenues, I am not interested, and this has nothing to do with Gate City's plight.  Because you tolerated a man to do what he did for 5 years doesn't make GC's complaints "wining."  If anything, one could argue or have the opinion that it makes your fans "not very smart."  You don't know the issues that have gone on with our AD.  You have no clue about the subject.  One is obvious and in front of you though, and that is.....we have hired a guy who is not qualified (yet) to be the Coach at Great City. 

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

You are right about 1 part of your post and incorrect on the rest in my opinion.  GC fans aren't waiting half of a decade to lose.  We have won before and perhaps not as patient, but I like to put it this way......we are smart fans and know football and understand quickly when we have a bad situation and don't wait 1/2 of a decade.  You call that generous.  I call that...not very smart.  As for Gate Revenues, I am not interested, and this has nothing to do with Gate City's plight.  Because you tolerated a man to do what he did for 5 years doesn't make GC's complaints "wining."  If anything, one could argue or have the opinion that it makes your fans "not very smart."  You don't know the issues that have gone on with our AD.  You have no clue about the subject.  One is obvious and in front of you though, and that is.....we have hired a guy who is not qualified (yet) to be the Coach at Great City. 

Graham fans aren't stupid ingrates, either.  We gave Doug time because that's what classy programs do: they give their coaches every chance to succeed, and timely cut ties when it is evident that he wouldn't.  He led a very talented team in 2005 to a 6-5 record, and had one more flash-in-the-pan season in 2007 before everything soured.  But we gave him a full 4-year cycle before the complaining really ramped up.

You run this coach out of town in under 2 years, and good luck finding anyone else qualified who will take the reins.  I know you say that there's already a coach in the pipeline, but I'll believe it when I see it.  With the mediocre results your JV and middle school teams are putting up, the pipeline isn't exactly primed for the next Lord and Savior of Gate City football.  And that's IF you're correct.  If you're not...as much as you want to stick your fingers and your ears and shout to avoid believing it...the elements are there for a long, painful, protracted drought for you guys.

39 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham fans aren't stupid ingrates, either.  We gave Doug time because that's what classy programs do: they give their coaches every chance to succeed, and timely cut ties when it is evident that he wouldn't.  He led a very talented team in 2005 to a 6-5 record, and had one more flash-in-the-pan season in 2007 before everything soured.  But we gave him a full 4-year cycle before the complaining really ramped up.

You run this coach out of town in under 2 years, and good luck finding anyone else qualified who will take the reins.  I know you say that there's already a coach in the pipeline, but I'll believe it when I see it.  With the mediocre results your JV and middle school teams are putting up, the pipeline isn't exactly primed for the next Lord and Savior of Gate City football.  And that's IF you're correct.  If you're not...as much as you want to stick your fingers and your ears and shout to avoid believing it...the elements are there for a long, painful, protracted drought for you guys.

This 100%

I am not sure of GCs past records in MS/JV in the past 4-6 years but I would wager mediocre at best if not below average. 

As an outsider, I know absolutely nothing about what Akers has done since July. What I do know is he came in with the cupboard virtually bare and NO support of past coaches who are, I would imagine, toxic to his program. I can only imagine what some of the past coaches that still work at GC are saying about him. He is literally up against the entire town who is expecting a 6-4 + season when the talent is there for about 2-8 maybe? I am not sure. 

As far as the AD situation goes... Who cares? besides you of course and a handful of your pals. If it was a problem it would have been fixed. Sour grapes. 

55 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

No, GC does not demand or expect 10-0 and 70 points per game scored, so no.......I don't get your drift. 

Additionally, if the staff have has 2 years and things do not progress, then again we disagree as the complaints are not "minorly" valid.  They in fact, would be VERY valid.

My drift is you expect perfection when you all have no talent. You expect this guy to be parting the Red Sea at football games from the sidelines to lead GC to victory. It is not plausible. You all are not good this year. That is what it boils down to. Not discrediting the kids, they try hard, as every student-athlete does in high school. They just aren't a team full of James Mitchell's like every GC fan believes. 

"Lord and Savior of Gate City football".  hahahahahaha

No idea what was going on with Doug Marrs, so I will not comment.

I think the amount of time you give a coach is totally dependent on the coach's behavior/progress, and the unique circumstances surrounding the team.

IMHO.....although we GC fans want to win a bunch of games, our record is not the biggest issue. I pointed out earlier that with the overall talent of our team, there is not a coach who would win several games with our team this year. Colobro was previously mentioned. I do not think he would have won a game with our team this year. However, I am certain that kids would never have been allowed to cuss him, kids would not have been allowed to skip practice, kids on the sideline would not be playing on their phones or talking to people walking on the track, he would not have alienated the majority of his coaching staff, he would not talk in the field house how his dream coaching job is just up the road, he would not have alienated the players, and he would not have had multiple players quit the team.  Colobro was strict and worked the players hard. He was also respected. I am NOT saying I want Colobro to return. Just using him as an example.

The players have lost respect for Akers. Unfortunately I believe it is a situation that can't be fixed. Akers is finished as the HC at GC. Is just a matter of time. The "classy" move is to replace him sooner rather than later. If the ship is sinking and can't be fixed, it is classy to take care of the passengers (student athletes) as soon as possible.

I do agree that it is going to take several years to get us back to "old" GC football. I could not make it to the Union game, but believe I read that we only had 28 or 32 players dressed for the game. When is the last time a GC team had that few players?

If any coach goes 0-10 at Gate City, that should be it. If you give him 5 years and you go 0-10 all 5 years, there's an entire generation of kids that'll come up not knowing what's it's like to win. They'll get used to it, and they'll think that's the way it's supposed to be. I've seen it too many times. GC can not afford that.

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

This 100%

I am not sure of GCs past records in MS/JV in the past 4-6 years but I would wager mediocre at best if not below average. 

As an outsider, I know absolutely nothing about what Akers has done since July. What I do know is he came in with the cupboard virtually bare and NO support of past coaches who are, I would imagine, toxic to his program. I can only imagine what some of the past coaches that still work at GC are saying about him. He is literally up against the entire town who is expecting a 6-4 + season when the talent is there for about 2-8 maybe? I am not sure. 

As far as the AD situation goes... Who cares? besides you of course and a handful of your pals. If it was a problem it would have been fixed. Sour grapes. 

You are exactly right the past coaches are toxic to the program as I would wager to bet that several post on here. We have a couple of past coaches texting kids and hugging them after games even tho they walked out on them. Heck the ex head coach want even come in the stadium lol.

21 minutes ago, wasp90 said:

You are exactly right the past coaches are toxic to the program as I would wager to bet that several post on here. We have a couple of past coaches texting kids and hugging them after games even tho they walked out on them. Heck the ex head coach want even come in the stadium lol.

This is just comical especially coming from YOU!  Unless you issue the past coaches cell phones so you can secretly read their text how would you know (1) they are texting and (2) that the texts somehow are toxic. It could be called encouragement!!!!  And what is wrong with hugging the kids after a game?  You have no idea what relationships these coaches build with their players. Hell I still keep in touch with my coaches. And as far as the past head coach not coming to the games;  would you after being crapped on like he was?  You just have to much pride to admit you made a bad hire.  Rant over!

34 minutes ago, wasp90 said:

Some, or all, of this could be true. However, it does not change the current state of the football program.

Akers may have been the best candidate. He may have given a great interview. He may have been the logical choice. It just looks painfully obvious that he cannot lead a football program.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

"Stupid ingrates."  This would be hyperbole and your words, not mine.  You gave "Doug" time in my opinion because a significant portion of your fans or one's with a loud voice allowed it to happen, and that was not being very smart compared to "classy program."  We disagree on the matter. Just you like you feel GC is showing lack of class by wanting a change, I respect it, but disagree.  We are very classy, but smarter, and we have been better because of those smarts.

GC's future is fine.  Interest in little leagues is down BECAUSE of the AD and coach.  We have had little leagues struggle before and our junior high has struggled some, only to do very well at the High School level. GC is loaded with talent and trust me, there is talent walking the halls of GC at both the junior high and high school levels.  With that written, could we have a drought?  Sure we could.  All programs experience such.  We disagree a bit on the long, painful and protracted part. 

Colobro would have won 5 games this year.  Why?  Because he would have had about 30 more kids out on the field to choose from.  Colobro 0-10 and never had an issue in the past at GC, and all of a sudden, what are the law of averages?  LOL, not likely.  Your talent level is often a product of how many kids you have to choose from.  How many kids you have to choose from is often a product of your AD and Head Coach.  Your coaching certainly effects how talent looks to the common eye.  As for Akers, I have always said this and still do.  3 years minimum is a must.  I think that should be a given for any coach, even if 0-10 this year.   Like I wrote, GC will be fine.  Talent is down compared to where it has been, but not by much.  What's down is.......the overall numbers coming out for football which is what makes up the talent pool to choose from.  

I don't buy the talent issue like many of you, and no, Akers doesn't "have the entire town up against him."  That's a big load of horse manure.  As for the talent issue, I have heard that before with a team like VT.  They were on the ropes in Beamer's last years and their recruiting and wins/lossed had plummeted compared to where they used to be, and Fuente took over a team that had the lowest recruiting averages for 85 total players that VT had on its roster since pre-1999, and in 18 months, nearly a top 10 team with gameday coming.  Did the talent magically get better in 18 months?  LOL.  Of course it didn't.  It's called, coaching.  What is different? The pool of talent to choose from is getting better meaning..........at the college level, VT's recruiting is taking an upward flight compared to where Beamer had it when he left, and the process is circular with good coaching, good recruiting, etc.  At GC and the High School level, the kids in the hallway and not out for football go hand in hand (opposite) of the process described above with VT.  It actually can get better, and it can get better quickly.  Graham is an example.  It takes the right AD and the right coach for that given program.

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

My drift is you expect perfection when you all have no talent. You expect this guy to be parting the Red Sea at football games from the sidelines to lead GC to victory. It is not plausible. You all are not good this year. That is what it boils down to. Not discrediting the kids, they try hard, as every student-athlete does in high school. They just aren't a team full of James Mitchell's like every GC fan believes. 

You lost me again, respectfully I do write, but you lost me with the hyperbole used yet again with "parting the Red Sea."<--------hyperbole usually means "emotion" before rational thought, and I don't debate or argue with these types as it's often pointless.  As for us not being good this year......... "ya don't say?"  Of course we aren't good, but your argument is one with the premise of being not good is strictly talent based with very few other factors.  That premise is false.  The talent is there at GC.  It's in the hallways.  That talent is in the hallways BECAUSE of the AD and Head Coach.  Because of these factors described which are root causes, you can then get to your point about us "not being good this year."  Your statement is true, but it's only half true.  There's a reason why we aren't good, and if you think it's lack of talent, then well, I disagree and gave reasons why.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

05 team was 8-3 wasn't they?