Bears @ Wal-Mart Warriors

CriticalNoise

9 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

From a central perspective the problems there won't be solved until there is a culture change within schools and community. That hasn't happened historically and I don't look for it to happen in the neat future. You have combined two programs with zero continuity within the coaching ranks. Pound/jjk had a huge turnover in their respective 60 years of existence. Look at how many coaches pv/appy have had. It makes a huge difference. The political climate makes that an almost impossibility. The cultural issues are prevalent in this season alone. There's a difference between being "hurt" and being "injured". Football is a contact sport and you're gonna have some pain. At central, a hang nail gets you a week off. Until the parents stop coddling their kids and stop making excuses for them all the time, your gonna have 2-8 seasons with a few 7-4s thrown in there when athleticism is there. I don't see it changing, sadly.

YOU JUST GOT YOUR WITNESS FROM THE CONGREGATION BROTHER!!! Money talks in Wise-always has,always will. Man I am so glad the kids are grown and gone from there. I begged them to transfer to Union (I live 3 miles from UHS). I want the best for those kids but things have got to change. 

2 minutes ago, Unchained said:

YOU JUST GOT YOUR WITNESS FROM THE CONGREGATION BROTHER!!! Money talks in Wise-always has,always will. Man I am so glad the kids are grown and gone from there. I begged them to transfer to Union (I live 3 miles from UHS)

That's another point. Alot of people may not agree with this or maybe haven't even thought of it, but the proximity that you leave near a school can have a correlation with how well your football team does. Look at powell valley. Large amount of population within WALKING distance of short drive to the school. Look at Gate City (historically) same deal. Look at Appalachia..... Look at Norton.

When they built this new Central school, I said that the location was one of the worst things they could do for football. Because of the shear number of kids that is required to field a team, you're gonna have to be able to get the kids that can walk or catch rides. With the location now, that eliminated the hopes of the kids who might play if it's not too much of an inconvenience .   Those kids need football and the program needs them. Think about the pound kids that don't have means and live so far away. You will never be able to get those kids back.

7 minutes ago, Unchained said:

YOU JUST GOT YOUR WITNESS FROM THE CONGREGATION BROTHER!!! Money talks in Wise-always has,always will. Man I am so glad the kids are grown and gone from there. I begged them to transfer to Union (I live 3 miles from UHS). I want the best for those kids but things have got to change. 

Care to elaborate on what needs to change? I am clueless here. Is Central really that bad culture wise?

1 minute ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Care to elaborate on what needs to change? I am clueless here. Is Central really that bad culture wise?

The culture surrounding male sports. Parents baying their kids. Every kid gets a trophy.  my kid deserves to play equally just because they show up, etc.

Just now, jonah58 said:

The culture surrounding male sports. Parents baying their kids. Every kid gets a trophy.  my kid deserves to play equally just because they show up, etc.

That's all of SWVA... besides the culture surrounding male sports. Why is that so bad? and what is bad?

Where to start really? I'll start the ball rolling with too many parents telling coaches what to do and coaches bowing to it as the pushers have the bling. Back in the JJK days  some success was found with Kevin Saunders who had ZERO problem telling folks to kiss his arse. Of course he didn't last long enough as good ol politics in WC shown him the door. Come to think of it after that along came another pretty good coach who got them to the postseason in B.I Salyers,and lo and behold the suits struck again and poof he was gone too:). Catch my drift? It may not be popular but it's correct and until folks stop the denial and heads in the sand things are going to remain as is

That's all of SWVA... besides the culture surrounding male sports. Why is that so bad? and what is bad?

I donr think thats all of swva. Ive not seen it to this level before. Very little work etgic and grit. Give up too easy. it all stems from the community. It bleeds over into the program. I am from wise and live in wise. I see it every day. Not a winning culture. Too much jealousy. No heart. No playing through pain. And read my post about school proximity. I live this town and love the people, but there a big changes that would have to be made to get this program on the winning track and it starts at home. Anyone that is from wise and  objective would have to agree.

Where to start really? I'll start the ball rolling with too many parents telling coaches what to do and coaches bowing to it as the pushers have the bling. Back in the JJK days  some success was found with Kevin Saunders who had ZERO problem telling folks to kiss his arse. Of course he didn't last long enough as good ol politics in WC shown him the door. Come to think of it after that along came another pretty good coach who got them to the postseason in B.I Salyers,and lo and behold the suits struck again and poof he was gone too:). Catch my drift? It may not be popular but it's correct and until folks stop the denial and heads in the sand things are going to remain as is

Didn't hurt having some of the athletes Saunders/BI had too lol. Interesting concepts/idea though. 

1 minute ago, jonah58 said:

I donr think thats all of swva. Ive not seen it to this level before. Very little work etgic and grit. Give up too easy. it all stems from the community. It bleeds over into the program. I am from wise and live in wise. I see it every day. Not a winning culture. Too much jealousy. No heart. No playing through pain. And read my post about school proximity. I live this town and love the people, but there a big changes that would have to be made to get this program on the winning track and it starts at home. Anyone that is from wise and  objective would have to agree.

How would you suggest going about this? Interesting concepts though from your POV. 

48 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

That may be true, but this is a football forum...there are forums on here for other sports, but much like it is in the region, those don’t seem to get as much attention as this one. Mumbley Peg could be competitive, I reckon...but very few would give a damn who the Mumbley Peg Champion was.

Don't you be bashin' mumblety-peg.

Didn't hurt having some of the athletes Saunders/BI had too lol. Interesting concepts/idea though. 

How would you suggest going about this? Interesting concepts though from your POV. 

I don't know really. I guess that's the million dollar question! Lol

4 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

The athletes on that 8th grade/JV bunch at Central right now are as talented as we will see. There's ZERO reason with the right changes at CHS that those kids shouldn't compete for a distric title and deep playoff run

The athletes on that 8th grade/JV bunch at Central right now are as talented as we will see. There's ZERO reason with the right changes at CHS that those kids shouldn't compete for a distric title and deep playoff run

What are the right changes?

33 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

From a central perspective the problems there won't be solved until there is a culture change within schools and community. That hasn't happened historically and I don't look for it to happen in the neat future. You have combined two programs with zero continuity within the coaching ranks. Pound/jjk had a huge turnover in their respective 60 years of existence. Look at how many coaches pv/appy have had. It makes a huge difference. The political climate makes that an almost impossibility. The cultural issues are prevalent in this season alone. There's a difference between being "hurt" and being "injured". Football is a contact sport and you're gonna have some pain. At central, a hang nail gets you a week off. Until the parents stop coddling their kids and stop making excuses for them all the time, your gonna have 2-8 seasons with a few 7-4s thrown in there when athleticism is there. I don't see it changing, sadly.

A legitimate sensible post from Central. Props sir

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

That's another point. Alot of people may not agree with this or maybe haven't even thought of it, but the proximity that you leave near a school can have a correlation with how well your football team does. Look at powell valley. Large amount of population within WALKING distance of short drive to the school. Look at Gate City (historically) same deal. Look at Appalachia..... Look at Norton.

When they built this new Central school, I said that the location was one of the worst things they could do for football. Because of the shear number of kids that is required to field a team, you're gonna have to be able to get the kids that can walk or catch rides. With the location now, that eliminated the hopes of the kids who might play if it's not too much of an inconvenience .   Those kids need football and the program needs them. Think about the pound kids that don't have means and live so far away. You will never be able to get those kids back.

The walking point isn't true at all. When you see how far Appalachia stretches, it's nowhere near close to the HS. Same in BSG, some kids drove 15 minutes or so to get to school. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The walking point isn't true at all. When you see how far Appalachia stretches, it's nowhere near close to the HS. Same in BSG, some kids drove 15 minutes or so to get to school. 

Alot of folks from Pound voiced travel concerns when the school was built in Norton but to be honest the kids from Wise who live in Duncan Gap,Turkey Branch, Dotson Creek..etc travel just as far to Central

4 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

What credibility??? 

Like I said, just my opinion. Abingdon will replace Richlands  as the region's dominant program.

Haha to quote the late Rick James "Cocaine is a helluva drug"  :)

Kelly /Central has more excuses than Doans has little pills, Dotson won there and left, Saunders was ran off for cursing kids?Abingtons coach was at Central ran off, all three left and won elsewhere. Kelly/Pound/ Central kids win in other sports(but the coach is a strong coach, Aka Mac Shupe , Dave Bentley , Rick Mullins ) so the athletes are there so it has to be the situation

7 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Kelly /Central has more excuses than Doans has little pills, Dotson won there and left, Saunders was ran off for cursing kids?Abingtons coach was at Central ran off, all three left and won elsewhere. Kelly/Pound/ Central kids win in other sports(but the coach is a strong coach, Aka Mac Shupe , Dave Bentley , Rick Mullins ) so the athletes are there so it has to be the situation

Reed won due to two reasons. 1) Colobro 2) Colobro and good athletes. 

47 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

That's why I said correlation.

2 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

He's still winning; no Nick Colobro & no Jake Sturgill. Hide & watch. 

Abingdon beat Hidden Valley (winless), Christianburg (winless), Central (not good), Gate City (winless), Battle (not very good).

Lost to: Pulaski, va high (who just got their heads beat in by graham). 

They have Ridgeview, Union, Lee left and they could very well be 3 losses. 

At the end of the season he wins 2+ games in the post season then I will say he is an average coach. At this point, I cannot say that about him.