Train Horns

Vol Hater

5 minutes ago, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

Yes the guy was a backup player who lied about his age. He had no impact on the game, we won by 3-4 touchdowns. Best team in SWVA history!

According to the article submitted by Grundy to the Bluefield Daily Telegraph on Sunday, Sept 8, 1963, the player later found to be ineligible scored the 2nd TD and kicked two extra points. I would say he had an impact on the game.

But I am glad that this discussion caused me to look deeper into this because while I was reading the articles from the AP (which was actually a credible news source at that time) I learned that James Monroe of Fredericksburg had to forfeit all of their football games in 1962. I had not discovered that fact.

Just now, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

Stop what? Promoting peace and harmony? Or educating young folk on how good the 63 Golden Wave were. Many of my teammates fought in the war, we had a D1 player and outstanding coaching!

And your school took responsibility for their mistake. Something a certain school in western Tazewell County has never done for their actions on a certain December day in 1992.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

Stop what? Promoting peace and harmony? Or educating young folk on how good the 63 Golden Wave were. Many of my teammates fought in the war, we had a D1 player and outstanding coaching!

None of which have to do with anything to do with train horns, which aren't illegal. 

You asked where I was from. I’d be more than happy to discuss the rudeness of the train horn with you. 

You want to talk rudeness of a train horn that is legal to have but act as if your illegal player in 1963 isn't a big deal? Isn't cheating rude? What if your illegal player had hurt a kid? 

This may be the most hipocrical thing I've seen on this board in some time. 

Can we not get back to discussing these young men today and how they should be allowed to play in peace? 

Like these young football players, you and I need to forge a bond to develop a relationship to combat unfair play, wouldn’t you agree?

No, I will not agree with you. Legally the Union fans did nothing wrong. If kids want to play in peace take up chess or golf. Football is a game where only the tough survive, mental toughness included. 

Making excuses for these kids does no favors for anyone involved. 

Union won that game fair and square and if Richlands goes to Bullitt in the playoffs I'm sure we're going to hear the horn again. Maybe Richlands uses a silent count or hand signals to make calls, get snaps, etc. because believe it or not, Union is not the first team with a loud home-field advantage.

It blows my mind right now that I, someone in my 30's, the entitled generation as some of you seasoned folks may say, is contending with a baby boomer that kids should not be coddled with excuses.

3 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

No, I will not agree with you. Legally the Union fans did nothing wrong. If kids want to play in peace take up chess or golf. Football is a game where only the tough survive, mental toughness included. 

Making excuses for these kids does no favors for anyone involved. 

Union won that game fair and square and if Richlands goes to Bullitt in the playoffs I'm sure we're going to hear the horn again. Maybe Richlands uses a silent count or hand signals to make calls, get snaps, etc. because believe it or not, Union is not the first team with a loud home-field advantage.

It blows my mind right now that I, someone in my 30's, the entitled generation as some of you seasoned folks may say, is contending with a baby boomer that kids should not be coddled with excuses.

Honest question. Would it be ok for me to take a laser pointer to the game and shine it in the eyes of an opponent? If not. What is the difference?

My generation believes in fair play and you should too. 

Union did not win that game fairly, their fans used a horn to prevent Richlands from calling plays. That’s unethical. 

How can I help you understand this? Fair play is paramount to life. Many of my friends came back from war talking about how unethical their adversary was, that sold me on fair play. I guess I was fortunate I didn’t have to go due to bone spurs in my foot. 

4 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Honest question. Would it be ok for me to take a laser pointer to the game and shine it in the eyes of an opponent? If not. What is the difference?

Apples and oranges. People have been ejected from games for using lazer pointers before. 

1 minute ago, cityofRaven said:

Apples and oranges. People have been ejected from games for using lazer pointers before. 

Yes they have. And let's say it is because it could harm the eyes. And I agree with that. Could I shine the flashlight on my phone in their eyes? Could I take a flashlight and do the same? Why is it ethical to take away the sense of hearing from an opponent but not their sight?

8 minutes ago, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

My generation believes in fair play and you should too. 

Union did not win that game fairly, their fans used a horn to prevent Richlands from calling plays. That’s unethical. 

How can I help you understand this? Fair play is paramount to life. Many of my friends came back from war talking about how unethical their adversary was, that sold me on fair play. I guess I was fortunate I didn’t have to go due to bone spurs in my foot. 

I can 100% assure you that train horn did not cause Union to block a FG or have 3 INT in the final 6 minutes....

1 minute ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Yes they have. And let's say it is because it could harm the eyes. And I agree with that. Could I shine the flashlight on my phone in their eyes? Could I take a flashlight and do the same? Why is it ethical to take away the sense of hearing from an opponent but not their sight?

If thats the argument then why is there any noise what so ever? Maybe we should make fans and the band be quite as well? Where does this end seriously?

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

And your school took responsibility for their mistake. Something a certain school in western Tazewell County has never done for their actions on a certain December day in 1992.

I have a 12-step program to help you in your quest to put that game behind you once and for all.

(1) Go to the bank.

(2) Take some money from your savings account.

(3) Go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

(4) Buy lumber.

(5) Buy nails.

(6) Buy a level.

(7) Buy a hammer.

(8) Buy brackets.

(9) Buy screws.

(10) Buy a screwdriver.

(11) Build a bridge.

(12) Get over it.