Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stranger danger

Coach James resigns at Pulaski

Recommended Posts

 

My first five phone calls would be:

1. Stephen Magenbauer (You'd be crazy not to ask)
2. Jeff Woody
3. Mark Dixon
4. Burt Torrence
5. Kevin Clifford

There's 11 state championships between them, all with at least one as a head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The truth is, Dixon all but took the head coaching job at Monticello High School in Charlottesville back in December before his wife changed his mind for him.  Pulaski isn't very far of a drive from Galax and Mrs. Dixon can remain close to her children at Virginia Tech. 

Not an inevitability but something that makes a lot of sense on several levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
29 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

Just heard James took a teaching job at george wythe

Southwest Times article mentions that.  What's the over/under on "Roon Nation" screaming for James to replace Harner?

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2020/05/james-steps-down-as-cougar-football-head-coach/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Another name to consider is Doug Smith at Appomattox County. He has built a juggernaut down there, winning 4 titles in the past 5 years. He should be on any AD's short list. I think the most realistic choices would be: 1. Mark Dixon 2. Burt Torrence 3. Kevin Clifford 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
10 hours ago, sixcat said:

I know Kevin pretty well.  I don't see him leaving Glenvar.  His family is deeply rooted in the Salem/south Roanoke area. 

But if I'm an AD, I'm still reaching out to him.

Pulaski is only 45 minutes down the road. If he put in for the Fleming job, surely he would be interested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, Redneck Jesus said:

Pulaski is only 45 minutes down the road. If he put in for the Fleming job, surely he would be interested 

Fleming is 5 minutes from his house. Pulaski is an hour plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 5/15/2020 at 8:13 AM, sixcat said:

The truth is, Dixon all but took the head coaching job at Monticello High School in Charlottesville back in December before his wife changed his mind for him.  Pulaski isn't very far of a drive from Galax and Mrs. Dixon can remain close to her children at Virginia Tech. 

Not an inevitability but something that makes a lot of sense on several levels.

Agreed.  Dixon could make that program into a power in quick order, and the fit makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 5/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, sixcat said:

Southwest Times article mentions that.  What's the over/under on "Roon Nation" screaming for James to replace Harner?

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2020/05/james-steps-down-as-cougar-football-head-coach/

 

probably not this year but next i would say. has to be uncomfortable having another coach teaching with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Galax’s Mark Dixon is now the coach at Pulaski. Brady with the scoop. 

Good for Brady!  It's been a not so well kept secret in Galax all week.  With Pulaski's athletes and facilities, he can do some incredible things as long as administration supports him.  

Edit to add; I wish Dixon well.  He certainly changed the culture for all Galax athletics.  The coaching position will be a far sight more attractive now than it was when he was hired in 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Good for Brady!  It's been a not so well kept secret in Galax all week.  With Pulaski's athletes and facilities, he can do some incredible things as long as administration supports him.  

Edit to add; I wish Dixon well.  He certainly changed the culture for all Galax athletics.  The coaching position will be a far sight more attractive now than it was when he was hired in 2010.

Where does that leave Galax? A team that competed for a state title and should be very good again. Will they go in house to hire someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
22 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Where does that leave Galax? A team that competed for a state title and should be very good again. Will they go in house to hire someone?

It’s hard to say at this point. I don’t believe anyone in Galax is surprised by this so wheels should have been turning for a while now. Dixon all but accepted the head coaching position at Monticello a few months ago but couldn’t convince his wife to move that far away from her family. 

Shane Allen (Tazewell) and Steven Peoples are already on staff. I’m not sure either are interested in that responsibility at this point. Allen has small children and Peoples is a year out of college. Not sure he’s ready at this point. 


When advertised, it will get much more attention than it got when Dixon took the job though. Much more attractive position now than it was a decade ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
19 hours ago, sixcat said:

Good for Brady!  It's been a not so well kept secret in Galax all week.  With Pulaski's athletes and facilities, he can do some incredible things as long as administration supports him.  

Edit to add; I wish Dixon well.  He certainly changed the culture for all Galax athletics.  The coaching position will be a far sight more attractive now than it was when he was hired in 2010.

Agreed on all counts.  Pulaski has the potential to be a force in 4A, and Dixon has a proven track record.  That being said, he left Galax far better than he found it (like any good Hoo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...