UNION VS EASTSIDE (THURS.)

jarhead24219

THE COALFIELD JUST PRINTED IN THE UNION VS CENTRAL ARTICLE THAT UNION WOULD PLAY EASTSIDE ON THURS. , I THOUGHT THAT WAS A APRIL FOOLS POST. SHOULD BE A DECENT GAME EASTSIDE IS HAVING A GOOD YEAR AND UNION NEEDS TO WORK ON SOME THINGS-----

Complete beatdown of the Spartans. 

There is a risk of catching covid and losing the rest of the season for Union, a lot to risk and very little to gain. I can fully support getting games in and giving the players the opportunity to play but Turner is rolling the dice a little imo. Maybe he figures they don't have a lot to lose if they don't get to participate in the playoffs...

4 minutes ago, redtiger said:

There is a risk of catching covid and losing the rest of the season for Union, a lot to risk and very little to gain. I can fully support getting games in and giving the players the opportunity to play but Turner is rolling the dice a little imo. Maybe he figures they don't have a lot to lose if they don't get to participate in the playoffs...

A roll of the dice for sure.... not only covid but injury as well....

I would think it’s a favor between the former D coach of Union and Travis , we will see if it helps or hurts , something Tom Turner would do, after all a game is just a practice too, win or loose. I see some younger kids playing a lot 

7 hours ago, redtiger said:

I honestly think Travis is getting ready for the fall.  Of course he wants to win but he's playing alot of young kids.

Travis would never say this,but this spring season IMO has been all about prep for the fall. I'm glad we got the game Thursday. We have a bunch of kids needing the game experience. I'm enjoying the JV coverage that NFS has. The future at Union is bright. That JV bunch really gets to the football PDQ.

14 hours ago, Unchained said:

Travis would never say this,but this spring season IMO has been all about prep for the fall. I'm glad we got the game Thursday. We have a bunch of kids needing the game experience. I'm enjoying the JV coverage that NFS has. The future at Union is bright. That JV bunch really gets to the football PDQ.

Sykes is fun to watch under center. Cant wait to see watch these kids in the coming years

56 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

He's gonna be a good one I believe

The most impressive thing about this bunch is they don't get fooled and out of place. They're always where the ball is,and they don't miss tackles.

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

The most impressive thing about this bunch is they don't get fooled and out of place. They're always where the ball is,and they don't miss tackles.

Your right, I've actually enjoyed watching them more than the varsity.  Couple of the 9th graders are on varsity so imagine how good they'd be with the whole class playing JV.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Your right, I've actually enjoyed watching them more than the varsity.  Couple of the 9th graders are on varsity so imagine how good they'd be with the whole class playing JV.

I remember watching Central's JV a few years ago and saying that they were going to be hard to handle in 2-3 years. I feel the same with this Union JV.

Have you guys seen the middle school team? Some of those linemen look as big as the varsity's.

As far as this game goes, I really hope Union has all the kinks worked out now, or this might be a closer game than expected.

1 hour ago, oldfool said:

Is this the only game for tonight?

There ae several.

Marion @ Lebanon
Abingdon @ John S. Battle 
Twin Valley @ Hurley 
Honaker @ Grundy 
Rural Retreat @ Rye Cove (HC)
Northwood @ Patrick Henry - 7:30 (HC)
Floyd Co. @ Patrick Co. 
Covington @ Bath Co

I don't know the specific details as to why the Bears are playing Eastside since Union has wrapped up their playoff birth and doesn't need the help, and playing this game against Eastside could be seen as a gamble when considering injury risk and Covid risk for the Bears.  But, pretty classy move by Coach Turner in my opinion.  The kids want to play football.  They are simply........... football players, and it's in the blood from the days of Appy and P. Valley.  Coach Turner is simply letting his kids play football, and to he** with the risk.  Sometimes, it just comes down to doing what you love to do, and that is......coach football and let the kids play football.  Classy move on behalf of the Bears Head Coach and staff.

55 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

I don't know the specific details as to why the Bears are playing Eastside since Union has wrapped up their playoff birth and doesn't need the help, and playing this game against Eastside could be seen as a gamble when considering injury risk and Covid risk for the Bears.  But, pretty classy move by Coach Turner in my opinion.  The kids want to play football.  They are simply........... football players, and it's in the blood from the days of Appy and P. Valley.  Coach Turner is simply letting his kids play football, and to he** with the risk.  Sometimes, it just comes down to doing what you love to do, and that is......coach football and let the kids play football.  Classy move on behalf of the Bears Head Coach and staff.

Well said my friend...

Coach Turner needs to play his true starters this time to make sure he has all the kinks worked out. I feel he has players that can play both ways but he wants to figure out which players he can plug in to help out in certain situations. 

Go BEARS!!!