Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

This was a great game. Like others pointed out, it felt like Union was in control most of the game, but I can't take anything away from the Pack. RV has several talented kids. The same ones that stood out to me against Richlands shined tonight.

I would give the Bears a slight edge on the line. Thought Union's run D was better than RV's, but thought RV's was better than Graham's. Would love to see them match up in the playoffs! That RV/Beaver game should be a good one too.

Bears need to clean up a few things on the O line before next week, and find ways to get more pressure on QBs. Another great game coming up in Norton.

23 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I thought Union outplayed RV by a considerable amount for 85-90% of the game. Union left 14 points on the field. RV does have some very talented playmakers and the big plays kept them in the game and a chance to win. 

Ridgeview by 3 TDS?

Yeah I think we covered the spread on that prediction.  

23 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

This was a great game. Like others pointed out, it felt like Union was in control most of the game, but I can't take anything away from the Pack. RV has several talented kids. The same ones that stood out to me against Richlands shined tonight.

I would give the Bears a slight edge on the line. Thought Union's run D was better than RV's, but thought RV's was better than Graham's. Would love to see them match up in the playoffs! That RV/Beaver game should be a good one too.

Bears need to clean up a few things on the O line before next week, and find ways to get more pressure on QBs. Another great game coming up in Norton.

Union really struggled to get any pass rush til the fourth quarter. The run defense was excellent but you gotta create pressure. RV has a first class screen game, killed Union on it all night. RV did almost no damage throwing down field, it was the simple WR tunnel screens and RB screens that went for huge yardage. 

I thought both QBs played fantastic games. The RV QB showed remarkable poise and awareness for his age while Bunch showed off his timing and playmaking ability with his arm and his legs. Bunch was also excellent in coverage against Beavers down field. 

The RV QB having no consequential turnovers was impressive. The INT at end of half was meaningless, he did not turn it over when it mattered even when Union started getting home with the pass rush. On other side, Union did very good job pass blocking but at times struggled to run inside. 

27 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I thought they did a good job early getting pressure on the QB but not much in 2nd half.  Maybe a little fatigue since we've only played second half once

Just now, goose111874 said:

I thought they did a good job early getting pressure on the QB but not much in 2nd half.  Maybe a little fatigue since we've only played second half once

Did Union get any sacks when they had them backed up in first half? I know they got to the QB at times in the fourth quarter but for long stretch from late 1st Q to mid 4th Q, Bears really couldn't get much pressure at all

Just now, BigWinners said:

Did Union get any sacks when they had them backed up in first half? I know they got to the QB at times in the fourth quarter but for long stretch from late 1st Q to mid 4th Q, Bears really couldn't get much pressure at all

No I just meant making him move around some.  He mostly threw quick passes so we couldn't sack him

1 minute ago, goose111874 said:

No I just meant making him move around some.  He mostly threw quick passes so we couldn't sack him

Yeah he didn't hold the ball long at all when they were backed up. Ball came out quick. The QB also did a good job of moving around and anticipating pressure. Showed great awareness for a frosh.  But I thought the Union DBs were fantastic down the field, they played all night in single coverage. The tackling was not great on those screens but any time they went downfield, Union has good coverage. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah he didn't hold the ball long at all when they were backed up. Ball came out quick. The QB also did a good job of moving around and anticipating pressure. Showed great awareness for a frosh.  But I thought the Union DBs were fantastic down the field, they played all night in single coverage. The tackling was not great on those screens but any time they went downfield, Union has good coverage. 

Good to have Davis back he got some pressure on QB but still looks like he's not 100 % yet

16 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union really struggled to get any pass rush til the fourth quarter. The run defense was excellent but you gotta create pressure. RV has a first class screen game, killed Union on it all night. RV did almost no damage throwing down field, it was the simple WR tunnel screens and RB screens that went for huge yardage. 

I thought both QBs played fantastic games. The RV QB showed remarkable poise and awareness for his age while Bunch showed off his timing and playmaking ability with his arm and his legs. Bunch was also excellent in coverage against Beavers down field. 

The RV QB having no consequential turnovers was impressive. The INT at end of half was meaningless, he did not turn it over when it mattered even when Union started getting home with the pass rush. On other side, Union did very good job pass blocking but at times struggled to run inside. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, Plywood_King said:

I'm a fan of Graham's originality. There aren't many schools around here that have an original logo, let alone an original name. While "Scarlet Hurricanes" isn't as cool or creative as "G-Men," I'd like to point out that Marion took that name from a local landmark back in the 20s before there were any nationally relevant teams named the "Hurricanes," which is pretty cool considering what a generic name it seems like now.

As far as unis go, I usually like Abingdon's Oregon imitations. In particular, the uni coupled with the mirror "wings" on the helmet a couple of years back was a slick look.

I like any helmet that has an original logo on it. My favorite was probably PH's helmet from a few years ago that had a silhouette of Patrick Henry inside the "PH."

20210629005948_190_mascot300.png

Beavers had 5 catches on 6 targets for over 100 yards and a TD.  They should have targeted Bunch more….he can cover a fade at 6’6” with a 11 yard cushion but he didn’t come close to defending the out, screen or curl.  He was toasted by 10 yards on the screen.  RV coaches missed some chances…come-back, hitch, skinny post are all there.  Gotta have the courage to throw those routes.

42 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I thought Union outplayed RV by a considerable amount for 85-90% of the game. Union left 14 points on the field. RV does have some very talented playmakers and the big plays kept them in the game and a chance to win. 

Ridgeview by 3 TDS?

Where is chuckles at now, I bet he is predicting John Battle winning state

9 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Beavers had 5 catches on 6 targets for over 100 yards and a TD.  They should have targeted Bunch more….he can cover a fade at 6’6” with a 11 yard cushion but he didn’t come close to defending the out, screen or curl.  He was toasted by 10 yards on the screen.  RV coaches missed some chances…come-back, hitch, skinny post are all there.  Gotta have the courage to throw those routes.

What curls or out? Beavers did zero significant damage down field, zero. That was obv the game plan, give plenty of cushion and not get beat deep. 

Every time They tried to attack down field, Bunch was in excellent position. 

Union “Owned” the ball in the 1st half, Ridgeview came up with a fumble and stopped us on the 10 yard line . There defense  kept them in the game  and O’Quinn had great poise even during the horn blowing during the first half, but again Union kept the ball from him

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

What curls or out? Beavers did zero significant damage down field, zero. That was obv the game plan, give plenty of cushion and not get beat deep. 

The 2 screens were only thing I remember him doing must've missed the others also

35 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Union “Owned” the ball in the 1st half, Ridgeview came up with a fumble and stopped us on the 10 yard line . There defense  kept them in the game  and O’Quinn had great poise even during the horn blowing during the first half, but again Union kept the ball from him

Speaking of the horn in the first half. That was a bit obnoxious with it going constantly at the line!  The air horns and cow bells are fine but that was a bit over the top.

Edited by Wolf1207

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

They threw one deep, an under thrown fade.  I watched every snap of this matchup. Bunch wasn’t alone on him as they inverted a corner (#18) and placed him inside of Beavers.  They bracketed him the whole game.  If Bunch could “handle” him they wouldn’t have needed to add another DB and bracket.   They adopted the exact same approach as Central did…so, Turner did change his defense.  Give him credit for not allowing ego to get in the way.  Beavers will have to face a bracket the rest of his career.  Looks like they are finding ways to defeat it.  I still would have thrown the skinny post.  Bunch was 10 yards off and playing extreme outside technique. He would not have been able to get over on a post, nor run him down. RV has over relied on the fade to #7.  They need to show more diversity on his routes.

14 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Speaking of the horn in the first half. That was a bit obnoxious with it going constantly at the line!  The air horns and cow bells are fine but that was a bit over the top.

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

I agree after the first few times, it's obnoxious because they continue to blow it incessantly. Home field, home rules...🤷‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Well, it’s also against VHSL rules but they don’t enforce it.  You cannot blow it once the offense is over the ball.  I’m pretty sure they know it’s illegal as well.  They stopped in the second half….RV coaches probably called attention to it.  

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, it’s also against VHSL rules but they don’t enforce it.  You cannot blow it once the offense is over the ball.  I’m pretty sure they know it’s illegal as well.  They stopped in the second half….RV coaches probably called attention to it.  

I remember discussions somewhere about it and thought some people were just whining. That this is pretty loud. I'm about positive Tiller said something about it before the 3rd quarter. Don't get me wrong! The better team tonight won! 

24 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

The 2 screens were only thing I remember him doing must've missed the others also

Underneath…a curl/ short hitch, out and something else I can’t remember.  Hell, they only targeted him once or twice on the first half.🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.  With a S giving you 10-12 yards of cushion, I would have ran outs and slants until you let go of that cushion.  I specifically watched Bunch’s back peddle ( he kind of shuffles) and break on the ball.  RV didn’t target that enough.  There is one double move pattern that I was begging to be thrown….don’t think it’s in their route-tree though.

5 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Underneath…a curl/ short hitch, out and something else I can’t remember.  Hell, they only targeted him once or twice on the first half.🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.  With a S giving you 10-12 yards of cushion, I would have ran outs and slants until you let go of that cushion.  I specifically watched Bunch’s back peddle ( he kind of shuffles) and break on the ball.  RV didn’t target that enough.  There is one double move pattern that I was begging to be thrown….don’t think it’s in their route-tree though.

I think that stuff will happen in time. Remember this a freshman qb that has to be developed. The points are correct though.. I think once they got him in a bit of a rythm at the end of the first half they were able to settle down. Being backed up most of the first half just killed RV. The defense did a great job holding up but I figured Union was going to break through!

16 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I remember discussions somewhere about it and thought some people were just whining. That this is pretty loud. I'm about positive Tiller said something about it before the 3rd quarter. Don't get me wrong! The better team tonight won! 

Look…blow your horn all you want until they break the huddle and then stop….follow the dang rules and have some integrity.  It ain’t hard.  I also noticed the band played and the PA announcer was vocal during RV’s snap count as well.  So, either they aren’t educated in the rules or just don’t care.  It drew a lot of attention from the RV side.  If they aren’t careful, I can see them banning all air horn devices.  I think they did that in the playoffs (can someone check me on that?).  

22 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

I agree after the first few times, it's obnoxious because they continue to blow it incessantly. Home field, home rules...🤷‍♂️ 

It ain't they because alot of Union folks were mad about it tonight.  I stand at fence so it really doesn't bother me.  Probably alot of aspirin will be sold tomorrow morning

4 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

It ain't they because alot of Union folks were mad about it tonight.  I stand at fence so it really doesn't bother me.  Probably alot of aspirin will be sold tomorrow morning

Between that and the Rv fans around me spending most of the night letting the refs have it!