Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

Been able to rewatch some of Ridgeviews games this year. They have a bunch of players who jump off the screen at you. This should be an incredible game. I like Union due to their speed at the LB positions, with the ability to get out and stop the RB’s coming out of the backfield and Atleast help the DB’s cover these receivers on short-intermediate routes. 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

#7 looked like the best player on the field against Richlands.  

Freak athlete and freak hands. Also, freak feet. He had 2 steps on Webb on one pass play and he didn't pull away, but Webb didn't catch him either. His feet are vastly underrated. He's got the hands of Scotty Ball, the feet of Sage Webb, and the athleticism of Austin Fuller. That kid can freaking play and I understand he's only a junior. Willing to bet he gets at least one FCS offer before all is said and done

24 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Freak athlete and freak hands. Also, freak feet. He had 2 steps on Webb on one pass play and he didn't pull away, but Webb didn't catch him either. His feet are vastly underrated. He's got the hands of Scotty Ball, the feet of Sage Webb, and the athleticism of Austin Fuller. That kid can freaking play and I understand he's only a junior. Willing to bet he gets at least one FCS offer before all is said and done

Hopefully RV can find ways to get him in the open field. This RV team will be much better next season. Your earlier comment about the game was spot on. If they can get out to an early lead they can certainly win it. Hopefully, they can avoid some of the silly penalties I’ve seen from time to time. 

18 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

WET WET WET , come FRIDAY so we will see if TRAVIS elects to play or waits for SAT. He likes FRIDAYS even if its wet

The field in BSG drains well as long as it is not a downpour at game time or a wind storm I don't think field concisions will come into play

15 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

The irony is his Dad and uncle played for Richlands back in the day.  

Is he any kin to Brian Beavers?  I played against him I think.  I think he was the bruising fullback and ran completely over top of me once at Giles in a game we won 17-14.  I don't remember his name during the game, but years later I was told by a Richlands fan the kid on that team they had was Brian Beavers.  He also played middle linebacker and presented to the football with great anger and rage.  I guess the Richlands comparisons I made to the Beavers kid from Ridgeview had some value after all.  Brian Beavers could move, he wasn't anywhere near the speed of the kid now at Ridgeview, but much bigger and absolutely NASTY physical.   If he was on the 1986 Richlands team, it was the best 4-6 team in the state for their level.  They lost 6 games by a total of like 26-28 points or something ridiculous like that. 

37 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Is he any kin to Brian Beavers.  I played against him.  He was a bruising fullback and ran completely over top of me once down at Ernie Hicks in a game we one 17-14.  He also played middle linebacker and presented to the football with great anger and rage.

That’s his uncle.  I’ve heard he was hard to go against….think his dad played at Emory for a bit.  Younger kid is a different type of player….more skilled and different body type. Weather looks to benefit Union.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

It would seem like this game could possibly favor Ridgeview because they can certainly run it well, but they have a very solid passing attack and if you had to pick any weakness or weak spot for Union, it would be there back 4.  Front 7 is stupid good, and that secondary is very smart and has heady kids, but they do lack speed overall.  They will put Jenkins on Beavers with help over the top and Union is counting on their front four getting pressure.  I think they do this just enough to win.  They will get hit with some big passes, but I just like how Union runs it.  I know Ridgeview is also very stout on defense, but as good as they are, they are NOT as stout up front on defense as Graham is.  If Union can run the ball on Graham, they will run the ball on Ridgeview.  The danger for Union though (and any run dominated team) is getting down 2 touchdowns.  If Ridgeview comes out and goes up 14 by catching Union on some early passes or big plays, that changes everything.  It creates a bit more urgency in Union's run offense and it also means Union has to be closer to perfect in it's run oriented offensive possessions, and it means 1 or 2 turnovers even after gashing Ridgeview on the ground can be to much to overcome.  I think the Bears win it though.  

Does Union run two high safeties?  If they don’t and they bracket Beavers how do they defend trips to other side? Do they replace a LB/DL for another S? Or do they put their best guy out there in single coverage? It’s in Union’s DNA to want to stop the run.  Tough decisions for the DC.

2 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I don’t think weather will play a factor in the game. Forecast is starting to look better for Game time. However it may lead to some wet cornhole games during the day at the Park.. 

Well that's good to hear but rain would probably benefit Union more since Ridgeview seems to pass the ball quiet a bit

11 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Well that's good to hear but rain would probably benefit Union more since Ridgeview seems to pass the ball quiet a bit

Yeah, some good rain turning it into a Muddy mess would probably be a 5-7 point advantage for Union. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Does Union run two high safeties?  If they don’t and they bracket Beavers how do they defend trips to other side? Do they replace a LB/DL for another S? Or do they put their best guy out there in single coverage? It’s in Union’s DNA to want to stop the run.  Tough decisions for the DC.

Against Graham, they looked to play one on one with help over the top with Bradshaw, then play zone coverage on the other side of field.  Graham gashed Union on the ground with the QB as Union had lots of guys dropping back in coverage, and the Graham QB often found himself one on one with (one) linebacker and when the Graham QB made him miss (as he often did) they resulted in huge gains for the G-Men.  The dilemma with Graham is what Union found themselves in and that's taking a chance with only 4 in the secondary early on and Graham's first play went for a TD pass to Bradshaw as they played one on one (for some God unknown reason).  They immediately came out of that defense and backed a safety over the top.  Union handed Graham seven points the very second that ball was snapped.  But when they dropped into coverage because Graham has FAR more than just Bradshaw as far as athletes running on pass routes, it opened up the run for Graham (and to Graham's advantage, the QB is basically a big running back/almost a fullback type with very quick feet) and he can also run over top of defenders.  He's fast and tough to bring down.

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Yeah, some good rain turning it into a Muddy mess would probably be a 5-7 point advantage for Union. 

I wouldn’t go that far Ridgeview can run the ball if they need to. Plus receivers know where they are going on a wet field, and the defense has to react. 

1 minute ago, Wolf1207 said:

I wouldn’t go that far Ridgeview can run the ball if they need to. Plus receivers know where they are going on a wet field, and the defense has to react. 

I have no doubt they can run and likely will run. I’m just saying that would take away some of the passing aspect, and has to take some points away from RV. Maybe they score 28 instead of 35 in that situation. 

1 minute ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I have no doubt they can run and likely will run. I’m just saying that would take away some of the passing aspect, and has to take some points away from RV. Maybe they score 28 instead of 35 in that situation. 

My belief is how both teams play in the red zone will determine the outcome. That’s how RV beat Wise was slamming the door shut in the first half when they were in the red zone. 

Just now, Wolf1207 said:

My belief is how both teams play in the red zone will determine the outcome. That’s how RV beat Wise was slamming the door shut in the first half when they were in the red zone. 

That’s a good point. Gotta come away with 7 (not 6) every single time you get down there. Red zone, turnovers and penalties will likely decide it. 

Just now, UnionGuy2017 said:

That’s a good point. Gotta come away with 7 (not 6) every single time you get down there. Red zone, turnovers and penalties will likely decide it. 

And don’t be afraid to take the 3 points if you’ve got a decent enough kicker from 30 yards and in. I think that hurts teams in high school football. 

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I have been getting Blasted on this thread because I feel Ridgeview will win by 3 TDs...I admit I could be wrong...But I have been to every RV game the last two seasons and I can tell you this...They do what ever the defense gives them...Richlands came in and stacked the box with 7-8 men at times and RV threw all over them...I have seen teams attempt to put two high safeties and Ridgeview run the ball down their throats..
In my opinion Travis Turner has the toughest Job of the night...He has to decide how he wants RV to play..They will either run it or pass it..I keep Seeing folks say “RV is a throwing team” That is not the case..They Average over 200 yards a game Rushing and about 120 passing..Oquinn Completes a lot of short Easy open passes. I have seen Oquinn change the play and throw deep to the Beavers kid when the Defense plays him 1 on 1..If you double the Beavers kid, Koda Counts catches the  ball just as good and sometimes even better than Beavers..Counts Actually has more catches than Beavers...The Running Back for Ridgeview is also a threat when he is not running power. I bet Coach Tiller is praying that Turner plays RV like he did Graham..5 in the box