Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

I don’t have a dog in this fight but man oh man, if Graham wasn’t playing Bluefield, I’d be tempted to go to this one. Union & Ridgeview, different offenses but their defenses are tough. Can Ridgeview stop Lomax? Graham couldn’t do much with him. How do you all see this one shaking out? 

Anyone who looked at last nights score and thought “Thomas Walker” hung tough should know that the score was 40-6 at the half and T W never pulled their starters. Everyone played including the 9th grade team.
 Union has had trouble defending the passing game and a mobile QB both of those exist  at RV . I would expect that Travis will limit RV touches with time consuming drives with the running game but don’t be surprised if we go deep . Travis will try to wear  the RV stars out making tackles (Hill) he will run right at him with a lineman ( Jarvis) as a lead blocker. Smash mouth has been reborn , the ghosts of Jim Riggs and Tom Turner will be smiling watching this one. 

Ridgeview is really good at everyone of Unions defensive weaknesses. Union will have to force turnovers and protect the ball offensively to win. Unions offense should perform well but Ridgeviews is dynamic. From a sports betters POV I think Ridgeview would be a -2 favorite or so. With all that being said… Da Bears will find a way to win at the first competitive game of the year at the park. 

🚂 🚂 🚂 

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Anyone who looked at last nights score and thought “Thomas Walker” hung tough should know that the score was 40-6 at the half and T W never pulled their starters. Everyone played including the 9th grade team.
 Union has had trouble defending the passing game and a mobile QB both of those exist  at RV . I would expect that Travis will limit RV touches with time consuming drives with the running game but don’t be surprised if we go deep . Travis will try to wear  the RV stars out making tackles (Hill) he will run right at him with a lineman ( Jarvis) as a lead blocker. Smash mouth has been reborn , the ghosts of Jim Riggs and Tom Turner will be smiling watching this one. 

I knew what the score was at half time. Was just being a bit snarky with the close game comment! I think this will be close, but the best thing about this Ridgeview team is they are not one dimensional!  Union has an advantage as they have the ability to string together a long drives. 

I think Union steam shovels Ridgeview on the ground.  Ridgeview is solid and a fine football team, but Union is to physical and has enough athletes to cover in the secondary. Ridgeview has a WR that is tied for second best with C. Harris behind Bradshaw in the area. He can fly. Sage Webb didn't catch him last night when he caught a ball and was step for step with Webb, but the other receivers for Ridgeview do not have the speed that the other WRs at Graham have. 

Union will get hit with some passes for some points by Ridgeview, but nowhere near enough to stop the bleeding on Defense when Union gashes them on the ground slightly better than what Ridgeview hits Union with the pass.

Union 31, Ridgeview 20

P.S. When talking about WRs above, I left out Jenkins because he's playing a ton of running back at Gate City. But, he's a legit D1 slot guy.

Noticed some of you Bear fans getting nervous about Tom Walker’s “comeback” last night.  Young Turner just took a little strategy out Big Tom’s playbook.  Big game next, big halftime lead, pull your starters so no one gets an injury, play the backups and pups so they can get experience.  Poor game for Ridgeview to scout anyway, if any of these younger coaches still use scouts, all Union had to do was just run their basic plays.  Then again, I don’t know if Big Tom ever scouted. He’d just line up, knock your head off, shove the ball down your throat, and give you a good butt kicking.

30 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Noticed some of you Bear fans getting nervous about Tom Walker’s “comeback” last night.  Young Turner just took a little strategy out Big Tom’s playbook.  Big game next, big halftime lead, pull your starters so no one gets an injury, play the backups and pups so they can get experience.  Poor game for Ridgeview to scout anyway, if any of these younger coaches still use scouts, all Union had to do was just run their basic plays.  Then again, I don’t know if Big Tom ever scouted. He’d just line up, knock your head off, shove the ball down your throat, and give you a good butt kicking.

I understand you didn't mean it this way and you were simply trying to pay Tom Turner a big compliment but I think that's a pretty insulting take. I guarantee Tom Turner was well aware of each team he played and would game plan each team accordingly.

4 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Ridgeview is gonna have the best qb in swva in another  year or 2..the youg man is just a freshman  and  after  watching  him  last night he plays like  he has been  starting  for  3 or 4 years. 

Tazewell has one that’s right there with him…

4 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I knew what the score was at half time. Was just being a bit snarky with the close game comment! I think this will be close, but the best thing about this Ridgeview team is they are not one dimensional!  Union has an advantage as they have the ability to string together a long drives. 

Never even seen your post when I wrote this, Union is Union , they live by the run but there might be a special surprise coming 

10 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Doesn't Thomas Walker only have 17 players?

54 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

21ish but that was before some went on Quarantine. Dont know the exact # last night 

There may have been some JV out there, but it seemed like 25+ but I could be wrong, I will say this “if they had some size on the line” they could really be tough, they had good skill folks

I read some of these assessments and wonder if anyone has actually watch Ridgeview Play?? Ridgeview is Physical, Ridgeview can throw the ball when they want, and Ridgeview can Run the ball and have been putting drives together all season...Defensively..They are hard to score on

I am not sure Union has enough athletes to match up...And not only that..Can Union block RVs Defensive Front?? The Gibson and Deel Kid from RV are tough. 

Ridgeview by 3 TDs 

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

There may have been some JV out there, but it seemed like 25+ but I could be wrong, I will say this “if they had some size on the line” they could really be tough, they had good skill folks

Yeah there was at least 15 kids on the sideline during game so they probably had close to 25 total some probably were JV

11 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

I read some of these assessments and wonder if anyone has actually watch Ridgeview Play?? Ridgeview is Physical, Ridgeview can throw the ball when they want, and Ridgeview can Run the ball and have been putting drives together all season...Defensively..They are hard to score on

I am not sure Union has enough athletes to match up...And not only that..Can Union block RVs Defensive Front?? The Gibson and Deel Kid from RV are tough. 

Ridgeview by 3 TDs 

Stay off the sauce bro. There is ZERO 2A teams in the state of VA beating Union by 3 TDs and that includes Appo this year. When you run the ball as effective as Union, the game which is 48 minutes seems like 30 minutes as they limit offensive possessions of opponents. 

14 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

Ridgeview by 3 TDs 

This 3 why not 15 or 20 because you really don’t believe that do you?

It would seem like this game could possibly favor Ridgeview because they can certainly run it well, but they have a very solid passing attack and if you had to pick any weakness or weak spot for Union, it would be there back 4.  Front 7 is stupid good, and that secondary is very smart and has heady kids, but they do lack speed overall.  They will put Jenkins on Beavers with help over the top and Union is counting on their front four getting pressure.  I think they do this just enough to win.  They will get hit with some big passes, but I just like how Union runs it.  I know Ridgeview is also very stout on defense, but as good as they are, they are NOT as stout up front on defense as Graham is.  If Union can run the ball on Graham, they will run the ball on Ridgeview.  The danger for Union though (and any run dominated team) is getting down 2 touchdowns.  If Ridgeview comes out and goes up 14 by catching Union on some early passes or big plays, that changes everything.  It creates a bit more urgency in Union's run offense and it also means Union has to be closer to perfect in it's run oriented offensive possessions, and it means 1 or 2 turnovers even after gashing Ridgeview on the ground can be to much to overcome.  I think the Bears win it though.  

Union has made great strides in the passing game, on the other side of the ball we need to keep the running of the QB in check, Graham eat Union up there , more than Bradshaw. We will see how the young gunslinger from the Ridge handles the crowd and train horn at The Park. It should be a great game , and standing room only.

Well as luck of the gods would have it, this is D-B's bye week.  However, a dirt race I have tickets to got rained out back in July, so I will be in Maryville Friday night unless there's rain in the forecast in which case, I am not making a 2.5 hour drive from Blountville just to get rained out again.  Hope to be at the Park Friday night.  This game should be an instant classic.