Union vs Abingdon

TaterHater

15 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

The M7 is a dam# good mostly Class 2 district and Abingdon is beginning to have their way with these schools. That's no disrespect to the M7 schools like Union, Central, RV, it's just giving respect to Abingdon.

Well the Falcons split with Union from year to year, they get the better of Ridgeview, and Central has never beat them. 

Abingdon is the top team in a tough district.

Turnovers and the kicking game will have a lot to say about who wins this game,UNION had 4 turnovers against CENTRAL ,and when UNION muffed the pun the kids just gave up. The SENIORS have to step up and be the leaders they are supposed to be, short quick passes, and some push up front from the line on both sides of the ball

2 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Union was dominated on the LOS. More horrid time management, too… 

Everytime Abingdon ran to the left the back was 10 yards up the field before he was touched but the main reason no one was there.  Not the kids fault they go where their told

TURNOVERS, two = two scores, and the defense just being out on the field too long.Yeah UNION got pushed off the line but when you are on the field twice as much as the offense you get scored on.UNION held the FALCONS to 3 points the second half, and maybe the FALCONS just went into the "hold onto the ball mode" and could have scored more,but the defense seemed to play better to me.LOMAX played hard also but just didnt get that extra block here or there to break one

6 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Bristol Paper showed Union as having 131 yds of Total Offense.

Kingsport Times had Union with 149 and Abg with 285 TY.

Turner was quoted as saying "Give credit to Abingdon. They’ve got a really good football team. I think they’re going to make some noise in 3A. They’re going to go deep in the playoffs in 3A."

Coach Corso was quoted as saying "Not so fast"🙂

2 hours ago, foosballer said:

Kingsport Times had Union with 149 and Abg with 285 TY.

Turner was quoted as saying "Give credit to Abingdon. They’ve got a really good football team. I think they’re going to make some noise in 3A. They’re going to go deep in the playoffs in 3A."

Coach Corso was quoted as saying "Not so fast"🙂

What are Abingdon's chances in the 3a playoffs. I know they lost to Christiansburg, but what type of bracket are they facing.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

What are Abingdon's chances in the 3a playoffs. I know they lost to Christiansburg, but what type of bracket are they facing.  

Abingdon will be the 2 seed in 3D behind Christiansburg.  Abingdon was 3rd in the region ranking very, very closely behind Hidden Valley going into last night.  With the Hidden Valley loss to Salem and the Abingdon win, Abingdon will end up being the two seed.  Abingdon is right there with Christiansburg and probably a touch better than Hidden Valley.  Abingdon will win game one of the playoffs, then have Hidden Valley come to Abingdon in game two and I think Abingdon wins it.  Abingdon will then have a rematch with Christiansburg in the region title game, and it's a game Abingdon can possibly win, but C-Burg favored.  The best case scenario for Abingdon is to win the Region over C-Burg, but then they will meet LCA in the state-semi's if they get that far and the season ends.  I'm not a Maxpreps guy, but Maxpreps has LCA ranked as the 3rd best overall team in the state.  That's a bit high, but they are good.  If Abingdon somehow won the region, then somehow, someway, beat LCA, they would likely get Phoebus in the state title game who has their best team in many, many years.  Phoebus beat Hampton this year.  

Many, on this side of the state, at least on other message boards, have probably penciled in LCA to just run through Class 3 and win the state title.  Phoebus has more than their fair share of talent, and they can equally match LCA in talent this year.  That would be one game to see, and probably would be as good of a quality game as the Class 2 State Title Game.  For Region D, Class 2 teams like Graham, Central, Union, VH concerned about their overall path that likely involved Appomattox and King William, it's even tougher for Abingdon.  LCA and Phoebus are better than Appo and King William and not only that, Heritage isn't chump change in 3C either.  If Heritage somehow pulled the upset over LCA in that region title game, Heritage would also be a heavy favorite over the Abingdon/C-Burg winner.  Additionally in Class 3 East besides Phoebus, if Phoebus somehow were to get upset to Goochland, then Goochland also would be favored over Abingdon.  Goochland beat King William this year, so for Abingdon who is solid, there are just 4 teams out there like Heritage, LCA, Phoebus, and Goochland that is to much to overcome, and all 4 would likely be to much to overcome for Appo, King William, Graham, etc., if they were playing at the same level.

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

TURNOVERS, two = two scores, and the defense just being out on the field too long.Yeah UNION got pushed off the line but when you are on the field twice as much as the offense you get scored on.UNION held the FALCONS to 3 points the second half, and maybe the FALCONS just went into the "hold onto the ball mode" and could have scored more,but the defense seemed to play better to me.LOMAX played hard also but just didnt get that extra block here or there to break one

Seemed like to me Union played 2nd half just to keep from getting blown out and 1st half couldn't hang on to the ball.  Go back and watch Tampa Bay footage in the 70s that's how Union played or the Three Stooges

33 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Seemed like to me Union played 2nd half just to keep from getting blown out and 1st half couldn't hang on to the ball.  Go back and watch Tampa Bay footage in the 70s that's how Union played or the Three Stooges

Hay Moe Hay Moe,yuck yuck yuck, no doubt they haven’t played well since the Ridgeview game

3 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Abingdon will be the 2 seed in 3D behind Christiansburg.  Abingdon was 3rd in the region ranking very, very closely behind Hidden Valley going into last night.  With the Hidden Valley loss to Salem and the Abingdon win, Abingdon will end up being the two seed.  Abingdon is right there with Christiansburg and probably a touch better than Hidden Valley.  Abingdon will win game one of the playoffs, then have Hidden Valley come to Abingdon in game two and I think Abingdon wins it.  Abingdon will then have a rematch with Christiansburg in the region title game, and it's a game Abingdon can possibly win, but C-Burg favored.  The best case scenario for Abingdon is to win the Region over C-Burg, but then they will meet LCA in the state-semi's if they get that far and the season ends.  I'm not a Maxpreps guy, but Maxpreps has LCA ranked as the 3rd best overall team in the state.  That's a bit high, but they are good.  If Abingdon somehow won the region, then somehow, someway, beat LCA, they would likely get Phoebus in the state title game who has their best team in many, many years.  Phoebus beat Hampton this year.  

Many, on this side of the state, at least on other message boards, have probably penciled in LCA to just run through Class 3 and win the state title.  Phoebus has more than their fair share of talent, and they can equally match LCA in talent this year.  That would be one game to see, and probably would be as good of a quality game as the Class 2 State Title Game.  For Region D, Class 2 teams like Graham, Central, Union, VH concerned about their overall path that likely involved Appomattox and King William, it's even tougher for Abingdon.  LCA and Phoebus are better than Appo and King William and not only that, Heritage isn't chump change in 3C either.  If Heritage somehow pulled the upset over LCA in that region title game, Heritage would also be a heavy favorite over the Abingdon/C-Burg winner.  Additionally in Class 3 East besides Phoebus, if Phoebus somehow were to get upset to Goochland, then Goochland also would be favored over Abingdon.  Goochland beat King William this year, so for Abingdon who is solid, there are just 4 teams out there like Heritage, LCA, Phoebus, and Goochland that is to much to overcome, and all 4 would likely be to much to overcome for Appo, King William, Graham, etc., if they were playing at the same level.

Dont count Botetourt out in the regions

5 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

To speak to how good KW is (and Goochland really), that was a 13-6 game. KW is very, very good with a legit D1 RB and a very good QB. Goochland beating one of the best 2-3 2A teams in the state, is a super impressive win. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

To speak to how good KW is (and Goochland really), that was a 13-6 game. KW is very, very good with a legit D1 RB and a very good QB. Goochland beating one of the best 2-3 2A teams in the state, is a super impressive win. 

According to VaPreps, Goochland has lost 6 starters out for the year due to injury since week 2.  They've become just dismantled with injuries.   I still can't get over the King William and Lafayette Score.  Lots of discussion about Phoebus and Goochland, LCA, Heritage in Class 3, but Lafayette's not exactly done yet.  They still only have that one loss and they beat Phoebus in the Region Title Game down there this past spring.  Lafayette wouldn't surprise me a bit if they pulled it off again.  They have been really, really, good for a long time, seemingly in the mix year in and year out.  (A lot like Goochland).

12 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

According to VaPreps, Goochland has lost 6 starters out for the year due to injury since week 2.  They've become just dismantled with injuries.   I still can't get over the King William and Lafayette Score.  Lots of discussion about Phoebus and Goochland, LCA, Heritage in Class 3, but Lafayette's not exactly done yet.  They still only have that one loss and they beat Phoebus in the Region Title Game down there this past spring.  Lafayette wouldn't surprise me a bit if they pulled it off again.  They have been really, really, good for a long time, seemingly in the mix year in and year out.  (A lot like Goochland).

I think it speaks more to KW man, they are very very good. I'd be shocked at this point if they aren't the East rep in the state title game. They are gonna be a HANDFUL for any 2A team to handle, including Appomattox or Graham or Radford or Glenvar. If that's true about the starters, that's even better for the KW side, to play them at 100% on the road and lose by one TD.

In the Goochland win over KW, KW had to sit 3 prominent starters -- including the D1 running back -- in the first half as Goochland built a 13-0 lead. Goochland lost to Orange County Thursday night so I'm sure that has impacted their status in their region.