GW vs Covington

2 hours ago, Topper22 said:

Probably smart move. Avoiding the weather and Galax will have have shorter time to prepare and a much tougher opponent in Grayson. 

GW wins by 5 tds

What weather?  Forecast calls for mostly cloudy conditions and temperatures in the 40s.  A good, solid 24 hour window without rain.  If anything, Thursday night looks to be the wet one.

10 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

What weather?  Forecast calls for mostly cloudy conditions and temperatures in the 40s.  A good, solid 24 hour window without rain.  If anything, Thursday night looks to be the wet one.

It showed rain Friday and snow flurries Saturday  and a low temp of 47 Thursday  versus mid 30s Friday and low of 27 Saturday when I looked it up. 

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Crazy that we can't get enough refs for playoffs.....

This is not a new issue. It's been happening all season. The difference is we run 5 man crews through regular season, 7 man crews for playoffs. We had plenty of moves to be able to cover 5 through the week for a lot of these games. The AFOA is aging, and believe it or not, these games do take a lot out of you mentally, and physically. I'm lucky enough to be on the younger end of the bell curve, but I can tell you, I'm tired. It's been an extremely long season full of moves, cancellations, traveling, and skeleton crews. If it takes playing a playoff game on a Thursday to make sure we have enough officials, that is what it is. We are down almost 35% on our roster from fall 2019 to now. 

I envy those of you who still officiate games in the current climate. Listen to the Grayson/Galax game on NFHS for a prime example as to why. If many of the fans in the stands had to officiate for a season, maybe attitudes would change and officials wouldn't quickly be becoming unicorns. 

49 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I envy those of you who still officiate games in the current climate. Listen to the Grayson/Galax game on NFHS for a prime example as to why. If many of the fans in the stands had to officiate for a season, maybe attitudes would change and officials wouldn't quickly be becoming unicorns. 

I always go to the game in person if at all possible and yes the officials caught some slack from the stands(some of the calls and non calls were bad and that's to be expected) but from my understanding what was heard on NFHS was one of the Grayson coaches but I have no idea how true that is.

13 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

chipinbogey - How many games you end up working this year? 

With all the make-up games the last 2 weeks, I wonder if any of 'em did 4 games.

Varsity-11. Could have been more, but logistically, I had to turn some back in to make college assignments. I think I turned in 3 this season

Subvarsity-over 15 (I'd have to look at my planner to be sure)

College- 9 and counting

46 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I always go to the game in person if at all possible and yes the officials caught some slack from the stands(some of the calls and non calls were bad and that's to be expected) but from my understanding what was heard on NFHS was one of the Grayson coaches but I have no idea how true that is.

I haven't been to a game in person this season for reasons I am unwilling to go into here. First time in my adult life I haven't been to my kids activities but it is what it is. 

What's heard on NFHS is exactly what's heard from the stands. In almost all cases, those spouting nonsense have no idea how vastly different high school football rules are from college and professional. I can't count the number of times I've heard some jackass screaming "that ball's not catchable" after a pass interference penalty. The truth of the matter is, if those armchair officials had to do it for real, many would have a different, and much needed, appreciation for the people who are out there week in and week out. Especially listening to someone scream about holding when his defensive line was getting blown off the ball as badly as I've ever seen. 

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I haven't been to a game in person this season for reasons I am unwilling to go into here. First time in my adult life I haven't been to my kids activities but it is what it is. 

What's heard on NFHS is exactly what's heard from the stands. In almost all cases, those spouting nonsense have no idea how vastly different high school football rules are from college and professional. I can't count the number of times I've heard some jackass screaming "that ball's not catchable" after a pass interference penalty. The truth of the matter is, if those armchair officials had to do it for real, many would have a different, and much needed, appreciation for the people who are out there week in and week out. Especially listening to someone scream about holding when his defensive line was getting blown off the ball as badly as I've ever seen. 

This right here is very accurate. I completely get that officials should be "thick skinned". Hollering "Boooooo" from the stands on whats perceived to be a bad call? I'm guilty. Standing on the fence next to the field and calling an official names that can't be used here is another level. Some schools are worse than others. Maybe I should say their fans not necessarily the school but I'm sure every school probably has them. Ask yourself this would you be willing to spend your Friday night getting cussed for a couple hours? 

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I'm definitely not qualified to do it or have I ever claimed to be but I am grateful for people willing to do it( even know I dont always agree with the calls)  that being said I don't know anyone who would agree with all the calls.

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

This x1000. If the average football fan knew half of what they think they know, we would not have a shortage of qualified officials nationwide. Are there missed calls in every game? Absolutely. But, they pay their $6 every week and officiate from the stands WITH bias, that part is important, about things that in the grand scheme of the game DO NOT MATTER.

Some would be absolutely blown away to know there is a whole philosophical side to officiating, even more so about what goes into that process. I'm fine with them blowing up someone over a bad call, or booing because of a perceived miss. That is what it is.

Some fan bases go ENTIRELY too far in picking on officials age, weight, appearance, etc. I have pretty thick skin and I am pretty comfortable with my appearance. Not everyone is though, and I cannot blame some for just leaving altogether. Sure, there is one bad apple in every fan base, however, some fan bases are just AWFUL in what these folks will say to officials. 

Sorry for the rant, but it has really went from problem to crisis this season. We have a people problem in this country. Decency is a thing of the past and the lack of will only continue to push others away from a very noble cause and enjoyable avocation. 

8 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I'm definitely not qualified to do it or have I ever claimed to be but I am grateful for people willing to do it( even know I dont always agree with the calls)  that being said I don't know anyone who would agree with all the calls.

Are you talking about Grayson or Galax getting blown off the ball?

3 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Decency is a thing of the past and the lack of will only continue to push others away from a very noble cause and enjoyable avocation. 

I officiated from college up to about a decade ago. At first, it was something I felt I could be decent at, make a little cash, and go to college without having to get a "real" job. I kept doing it after college because I enjoyed the interaction with the kids and most coaches to be honest. 

When a disgruntled soccer coach followed by a newly elected Carroll County Board of Supervisors member coaching his sons football team followed me home after a game to stop in front of my house, enough was enough. 

5 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Obviously Grayson. Galax completely dominated that game at the point of contact. 

I officiated for a year a couple of years after coaching for the better part of a decade. My job no longer allowed the time it took to coach and I thought officiating would be a good way to stay around the game I loved. The job I got shortly after no longer allowed for even that, but I can say it was a unique experience, and I feel like I have a unique point of view having been on three sides of the game. 

One of the issues  is the assignment of games. It may be different now but they use to have you travel a long ways for games and the pay is not that good.

I have seen some poorly officiated games the past two years including a state championship a couple years ago that was horrid and games shouldn't be decided by a poorly officiated game but unfortunately it happens. On the other hand I have witnessed games that had zero issues with officiating but people don't remember those. 

The one thing I don't see. In the past couple of years that I use to was when a flag was thrown and it was an iffy the group would get together and discuss if someone had a different view of the play, I don't see that now and I feel that hurts the game, because there is no way one person can see it all and  just get it wrong sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

One of the issues  is the assignment of games. It may be different now but they use to have you travel a long ways for games and the pay is not that good. I DO NOT  agree with point that in the grand scheme of things it does not matter. Maybe not to all but to some it does matter, It matters alot!!!!! Some of these kids it's the some of the most imoactfuk moments of their lives, some of these kids have horrible  home lives and do not have the brightest outlook for their future, and will carry those moments for life. Officials need to remember that, it may not matter to them in the grand scheme  but to others it most certainly does!!! 

Poor choice of words on my part and definitely taken out of context. What I am referring to is the "holding" calls everyone wants away from the point of attack. The subjective calls that would not affect the outcome of the game whether called or not. 

13 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Here's a couple good looks at what I mean. Grayson defenders are going the wrong way in a hurry. Galax linemen were getting to the second level of the GC defense without effort.