GW vs Covington

21 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I would hate to be the coach who found out he only had a day and a half to prepare for the single wing!!! Which would be Grayson ,I think lol

The way Grayson handled us last time, I’m sure they would be fine lol if it weren’t for a pick 6 and a blocked punt Giles loses that game.

24 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

What is the pay rate for officials these days around here?

I think varsity is around $90-95 per game currently but I may be wrong.  I have been out a couple of years now with my oldest being active with cheerleading and band on Friday nights.  Kids are only young once so Im gonna support them as much as possible.  JV/Middle School is typically dependent on the schools.  There isn't a set price across the board.

My only issue with it is if Galax plays as the 1 seed and has some  injuries that could cost them down the road and you have the 4 seed sitting at the house with a bye recovering from any injuries and not worrying about getting any injuries. To be clear I'm not blaming GW for getting the bye it just the way the chips fell this round. Hoping it's not the case and Galax can win the game and not have any injuries.

14 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm not sure the single wing is as difficult to prepare for these days. Nobody has a QB under center anymore. Eye level shifted to the backfield a decade or more ago.

If you are saying “eye level” meaning the defense is just watching RBs and reacting from their movement then you will be in for a long night….you better be reading the big uglys up front, they will take you to the ball.  You watch the backfield and your head will be spinning.

I will be crushed on here for this but, “No body has a QB under center anymore” is the reason football is worse now than it’s ever been.  Everybody thinks they are a spread team, chuck it 60 times a game; yet they can’t pick up a 4th and 1 because they are taking a snap at 4+ yards deep in gun so basically it’s a 4th and 5. The best teams that make it deep; with exception of a few (Riverheads) can get under center and run the ball; look at Salem year in and year out, nothing fancy just down hill football.

1 hour ago, 44cov3 said:

If you are saying “eye level” meaning the defense is just watching RBs and reacting from their movement then you will be in for a long night….you better be reading the big uglys up front, they will take you to the ball.  You watch the backfield and your head will be spinning.

I will be crushed on here for this but, “No body has a QB under center anymore” is the reason football is worse now than it’s ever been.  Everybody thinks they are a spread team, chuck it 60 times a game; yet they can’t pick up a 4th and 1 because they are taking a snap at 4+ yards deep in gun so basically it’s a 4th and 5. The best teams that make it deep; with exception of a few (Riverheads) can get under center and run the ball; look at Salem year in and year out, nothing fancy just down hill football.

Still have to play assignment football. But everybody is accustomed to the ball being “4+ yards deep in gun” at the snap nowadays. It’s no longer a novelty defenses may see once a season. 

Which makes Casto’s offense at Riverheads much more effective nowadays. Their opponents see the QB under center once a season, and it’s an advantage. Casto has said all of this several times himself. 

The style of play at the high school level is cyclical. I personally do not think most 1A schools have the athletes to pull off the spread but occasionally it does happen. Overall if you can’t run the football and play defense you won’t win. I will go further and say that the old adage of “defense travels” rings even more true at the lower classifications. Give me a solid defense with a workable run game and I will take my chances over RPO or Spread. Now there are teams that spread to run which to me is just taking advantage of scheme to accomplish the same thing. A game played in a phone booth is a joy to behold. 

The differences between a Single Wing offense and a Spread offense running Wing-T or traditional I-Formation plays is minimal: direct snap, pulling linemen, multiple ball carriers, etc.  Single Wing isn't as different anymore and it use to be and that probably hurts single wing teams overall. I haven't watched Giles in years but what I remember was their execution thats what really set them apart, everything and I mean EVERYTHING was crisp. 

Under center the plays hit faster, they develop differently,  etc. It just looks different to Linebackers. Appomattox has really taken advantage of that. Their Veer runs hit fast and defenders aren't use to that kind of football.

In a few years it will look like 1995 again with under center, run heavy teams dominating.

Teams are trying to run spread and a lot of times they don’t have the athletes to do it. On the flip side they are using smaller D linemen as well to match up against the spread. When they come up against teams who are using big strong offensive line there are getting mashed.

redtiger....I hope you are right; this spread crap makes my head hurt, I can somewhat stomach it at the varsity level but seeing Parks & Rec teams and MS teams doing it drives me crazy...a kid gets to Varsity and they cant take a snap under center, the lineman only know how to stand-up and pass block, defenders dropping back into coverage instead of playing down hill, tackling is bad because everything is so spread out; just all around painful to watch. I know Salem, Riverheads, Appo, Union; they all have big kids and great numbers but they've also developed physical football teams through their scheme and as a season wears on they start punishing teams.  Kids are also starting to get worn down by the post season, the weather changes, the football get cold, slick, and hard as a rock, field conditions and weather start to play into games.  Teams who can get under center hand the ball off and get a push up front and to the second level have the greatest advantage this time of year.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:34 PM, 1inStripes said:

I think varsity is around $90-95 per game currently but I may be wrong.  I have been out a couple of years now with my oldest being active with cheerleading and band on Friday nights.  Kids are only young once so Im gonna support them as much as possible.  JV/Middle School is typically dependent on the schools.  There isn't a set price across the board.

Varisty is still 80 for reg season and 85 for playoffs.