2021 Arby's Classic

swva_havok_fan

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Yes I was happy to see TS have it within 15 at the half.  Then 33 unanswered happened to start the third.  Dorman is ridiculous.

They played extremely well in the first half, to even be that close was impressive. Can RC give them a run? 

Union hasn't played well the last six quarters. Science Hill put the pressure to them and they gave up a 20-0 run then against Greeneville they just came out flat. Very interested to see how they play against Volunteer, they need a win to get back on track.

oak hill has never played in this tourney,   could be that they are private,  not sure though

3 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Oak hill never plays this tournament.  Always heard they play on the west coast this time every season.

Methinks you are seeing the results of dedicated, year-round, basketball players playing against good athletes that play basketball for four months of the year.  I’m going to restate the the M7 will not be as much a foregone conclusion as many believe it to be.

IMO the only M7 team that really improved from last year may be Battle.  Still not going to beat Union and Abingdon.  Union v. Abingdon will come down to who can contain the other better.  Bunch and Ramsey will decide this matchup I think.  How tight the officials call the game could change things too.  Can’t call charge every time Ramsey spins and can’t call over the back all the time with leapers like Bunch and Jenkins.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Methinks you are seeing the results of dedicated, year-round, basketball players playing against good athletes that play basketball for four months of the year.  I’m going to restate the the M7 will not be as much a foregone conclusion as many believe it to be.

Who s gonna win it if it's not Union or Abingdon? RV may be better than last year (although a team losing a guy like Brown isn't often that much better, he was excellent) but I can't see them being a real threat to win the district. RV should get wins against teams like Chilhowie and Grundy but Union losing to teams like Science Hill and Greeneville should have them ready to take on the M7 teams. The five Union likely starts deep in M7 play haven't started together yet, still anticipating Honeycutt back. 

32 minutes ago, F@lcon said:

IMO the only M7 team that really improved from last year may be Battle.  Still not going to beat Union and Abingdon.  Union v. Abingdon will come down to who can contain the other better.  Bunch and Ramsey will decide this matchup I think.  How tight the officials call the game could change things too.  Can’t call charge every time Ramsey spins and can’t call over the back all the time with leapers like Bunch and Jenkins.  

Union really feeling losses of Cusano and Rasnick, same for Abingdon and the wing trio that graduated. I agree Battle is marketedly improved, RV could be some better too but we will have to see, losing Brown isn't an easy piece to replace.

Union needs to get their team healthy and play for a few weeks and figure out who they are. They rely too much on Bunch right now, when they are healthy they should be able to lock teams down. This could offset a sub par shooting game by Bunch, right now they can’t do that. 

56 minutes ago, UnionBears said:

Union needs to get their team healthy and play for a few weeks and figure out who they are. They rely too much on Bunch right now, when they are healthy they should be able to lock teams down. This could offset a sub par shooting game by Bunch, right now they can’t do that. 

That, to me, seems like their biggest issue, the lack of any secondary scoring options. Lot of us wondered where the scoring was gonna come from this year if Bunch struggled and so far, it hasn't came at all. The young kid off the bench seems like a good shooter, maybe he gets more run. Honeycutt will only improve an already very good team defense but he isn't exactly a scorer, they're gonna need some kids to take advantage of open shots. If they cant, teams will just throw three guys at Bunch. 

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

They played extremely well in the first half, to even be that close was impressive. Can RC give them a run? 

Bring their A game and yes.  If TS plays against RC like they did last year ,NO.  I would bet TS shot 70% from 3 vs RC in both games they played last year.  

Been watching some games both in person and on YouTube.   The officiating crews seem to be trying to make every game about them.   A few of them ref with a chip on their shoulder.   I have seen multiple accounts of them putting ball down on inbounds plays and start counting (quick count too).  There have been a few times there were technicals for dunking in warm-ups .   Stopping the game to make kids put jerseys in their shirts.   I know the rules but come on.   

Unless the refs have family in attendance I don't think there is a single person buying tickets to see them.   People go to the Arby's to see the talent.   Relax and enjoy the show. 

46 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

Been watching some games both in person and on YouTube.   The officiating crews seem to be trying to make every game about them.   A few of them ref with a chip on their shoulder.   I have seen multiple accounts of them putting ball down on inbounds plays and start counting (quick count too).  There have been a few times there were technicals for dunking in warm-ups .   Stopping the game to make kids put jerseys in their shirts.   I know the rules but come on.   

Unless the refs have family in attendance I don't think there is a single person buying tickets to see them.   People go to the Arby's to see the talent.   Relax and enjoy the show. 

i would take these ref's any day of the week and 10 times on sunday compared to any ref's in southwest virginia

54 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

Refs are obviously necessary but man can they suck the fun out of a game when they’re blowing the whistle every 5 seconds over some minimal contact or because someone’s jersey came untucked. I’d rather see a couple missed foul calls than watch both teams stand on the free throw line all night.

I agree stan but this is a premier tournament.   The officials should be much better.  It's just a well known fact that officials have caused high profile teams to not want to come back in the past.   This area doesn't compare to the bigger high profile tournaments they are used to.   When you are putting the D1 commits in early foul trouble or trying to change the way they play to suit the area standards you cause them to dislike playing here.   Not saying you should give them the calls but don't limit their game either. 

since the beginning of the arby's,  you can count on one hand teams from southwest va that should have been in this tourney and could have gave a good showing,   the only team i saw recently was the GC squad with mcclung, ervin and dean.   after those 3 that team was nowhere near par either.   the southwest va teams are always entered one year past their prime.   

3 hours ago, stantheman said:

i would take these ref's any day of the week and 10 times on sunday compared to any ref's in southwest virginia

This. All day. UNLESS it's Testerman's crew (female ref who worked Volunteer and Union) Her and the other two on that crew make Steve Honaker look like the best ref of all time. 

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Union with the buzzer beater. What a game.

One of the better Arby's games of all time. And I've seen a lot of them over the last 21 years now. There's always a hidden gem somewhere in the morning session games. 

Volunteer trailed 57-50 with a minute left. Scored 8 straight over the next 40 seconds to lead 58-57. Three lead changes over the final 20 seconds. Angry Mike Poe. Jenkins and Lovelace had to be separated. Two technicals. Good intense thrilling basketball game. 

Volunteer will be a sleeper come playoff time. They caught Greeneville napping early in the season when the Devils were still trying to get the football players in basketball shape. Greeneville probably wins the rematch later down the road when and if it happens though. They're a heavy favorite to repeat this year even though they moved up in class. 

Union has Bearden tomorrow and will get flattened. Bearden is the 4A favorite to win it all. 

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

We can't all be as privy to how things work like you.   Oh well.

All I'll say is it's the Urspring rule. Those who have watched the tournament for a long time will know what I'm talking about. 

East Hamilton decided to go on home after losing to Tennessee High earlier today, so West Ridge will now play Twin Springs on Friday in the 11:30 consolation game. 

Union still hasn’t found its way. Very experienced team that doesn’t quit, they could easily be 1-5 but are 4-2. They’re 10-15 points better than Volunteer, I’d say they shot less than 50% from foul line today and probably not 15% from 3. 

They just don’t quit and are still down their PG, when he comes back they could be very good on D with Honeycutt, Bartee and Anderson on the floor together. 

Today was the best I’ve ever seen Reyshawn play. Obviously he hit the buzzer beater but his hustle play to save the ball with a perfect pass to Bunch on the previous possession was a tougher play. Maybe this will spark him?