Mountain 7 favorites and returning stand-out players.

SwvaOG

In this order....Ridgeview, Union, Abingdon, Lee High and Central and Gate City 3 way tie, and then Battle last.

Disclaimer-I'm not as knowledgable as the folks local to the M7 areas or know the ins and outs of these programs, but I did watch a bunch of em last year on NFHS and can only go by for what each team returns based on what I'm reading on this board.  As for Lee High, their coach is special.  Their offense had no business doing what it did last year.  If that guy can get just some mediocre talent, he will take his mediocre talent and beat 95% of other teams that have the same talent.  

Only my opinions above

21 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

In this order....Ridgeview, Union, Abingdon, Lee High and Central and Gate City 3 way tie, and then Battle last.

Disclaimer-I'm not as knowledgable as the folks local to the M7 areas or know the ins and outs of these programs, but I did watch a bunch of em last year on NFHS and can only go by for what each team returns based on what I'm reading on this board.  As for Lee High, their coach is special.  Their offense had no business doing what it did last year.  If that guy can get just some mediocre talent, he will take his mediocre talent and beat 95% of other teams that have the same talent.  

Only my opinions above

Just occurred to me….are there any Abingdon fans on here?  We need some insider scouting from someone over there in Washington County.

I’m going Ridgeview, Union, Abingdon, Lee, Central, Gate City, John Battle.  I do think Union will be better than anticipated and Abingdon will reload.  Lee will move up in the rankings but will be limited by their defense.

Ridgeview likes their team a lot, speed, skill and size all over the field.  I’m not completely sold on their Oline.  If they are above average….watch out.  They are the best bet to challenge Graham’s regional run.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I’m going Ridgeview, Union, Abingdon, Lee, Central, Gate City, John Battle.  I do think Union will be better than anticipated and Abingdon will reload.  Lee will move up in the rankings but will be limited by their defense.

Ridgeview likes their team a lot, speed, skill and size all over the field.  I’m not completely sold on their Oline.  If they are above average….watch out.  They are the best bet to challenge Graham’s regional run.

I’d like to see an improvement in the running game from last year to keep teams honest.  I didn’t like RV’s short yardage game at all last year.  They will need that against the better teams. 

With the skill players they have returning, Ridgeview should be favored on talent alone, but I'm not sure how the coaching turmoil will factor into their usage and performance. Abingdon has quietly turned in some good seasons since Amburgey arrived. I have no clue what they lost and what they return, so they unknown to me, but I'm sure they will finish somewhere in the top 3.

Union will have their own skill players that could be really good. As usual, they will live or die by the line. They have some talent there too, but how good they are will depend on their offseason weight room dedication.

Central lost a huge amount of talent, and have a coaching change. I see them finishing anywhere from 4th to 6th. Maybe they have more coming up than I'm aware of and can do better. Just not sure.

Battle, oh poor Battle, I really wish they could get some stability there and do better. I always root for them, but I don't see them making it out of the bottom this year.

That brings me to the most intriguing teams in the M7, GC and Lee. Both of these teams have potential to do much better than last year. Each of these teams could have 7-3 type seasons, but finish 4-6. Just like Central, either could finish as high as 4th or as low as 6th. I'm looking forward to seeing how their seasons turn out.

one has to wonder how the coaching changes at ridgeview will affect them,   i was told that their best receiver was going to richlands,  i can not confirm that,  has anyone heard of others departing there

14 hours ago, stantheman said:

one has to wonder how the coaching changes at ridgeview will affect them,   i was told that their best receiver was going to richlands,  i can not confirm that,  has anyone heard of others departing there

As of last week everyone was coming to workouts so I would think everything is good.

17 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Did Abingdon lose that much? They were clearly the best M7 team last year but aren’t getting a lot of chatter this year.

They lost 13 seniors. That included their QB, RB, 2 OLs, and all their WRs. 

I have no clue what they had coming up to replace that.

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

They lost 13 seniors. That included their QB, RB, 2 OLs, and all their WRs. 

I have no clue what they had coming up to replace that.

Only lost 1 lineman. They have some a couple of players without much football experience but fast who have joined the team. Quarterback is an outstanding athlete. 

6 minutes ago, go24 said:

Only lost 1 lineman. They have some a couple of players without much football experience but fast who have joined the team. Quarterback is an outstanding athlete. 

#50 and #58 didn't start on the OL? Or was one of them incorrectly listed as a senior?

1 hour ago, go24 said:

#50, Charlie Sturgill was the only senior.  You didn’t use the always accurate Max Preps roster did you?  😀  

I stay away from Max Preps! haha

Got it from a combination of their Hudl page and the Kingsport Times. #58 Landon Hibbitts played against Battle ( their only team highlight of Fall '21) and he was listed as a senior in KTN. Doesn't show on their Hudl now.

5 hours ago, EH31 said:

Did Abingdon lose that much? They were clearly the best M7 team last year but aren’t getting a lot of chatter this year.

i will go with abingdon, ridgeview, union, GC, lee, battle and central,    abingdon has more numbers than the other schools and that is hard to beat,  this will be the year for it to happen,    look for Luke Honaker to have a breakout year,  should get talk about POY!!!   

59 minutes ago, stantheman said:

i will go with abingdon, ridgeview, union, GC, lee, battle and central,    abingdon has more numbers than the other schools and that is hard to beat,  this will be the year for it to happen,    look for Luke Honaker to have a breakout year,  should get talk about POY!!!   

As a seventh grader, Honaker was the best player on the field that I saw during middle school games. I know that 3 years have passed but he’s an outstanding athlete. 

15 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I stay away from Max Preps! haha

Got it from a combination of their Hudl page and the Kingsport Times. #58 Landon Hibbitts played against Battle ( their only team highlight of Fall '21) and he was listed as a senior in KTN. Doesn't show on their Hudl now.

The Battle game was the mass Covid game for AHS. I think 14 or 15 players were out, including one of the starting linemen. 

9 hours ago, stantheman said:

there are a few parents not happy from what i have heard

There are always a few parents that aren't happy, doesn't matter what's done.

Dewayne will rub some people the wrong way, but some people will love him