Scrimmage Results

Spartan winger

52 minutes ago, Spartan winger said:

How did Giles look against Hidden Valley? Any bright spots?

Considering that HV returned 12 starters from a team that started the ‘21 season 6-0 I was impressed with what I seen from Giles. Offensively we started out slow but once we got settled we pretty much dominated the scrimmage. Ratcliffe really surprised me at tailback. He’s definitely more athletic and quicker than I thought he was. 

On defense, our front 7 need some work. We were getting blown off the ball and struggled with tackling. Secondary looked pretty good. Next week will be a big challenge. Last season Christiansburg made it a point to completely embarrass us. Hopefully we can be more competitive this go around. 

Agree with all of that. Front 7 defensively is small and HV had success with gashing runs, but one thing in our favor was HV has wide open sets, so we were spread out a bit defensively on the snap count. Most of our opponents, especially at the Class 1 level are not that wide open on offensive sets with often 3 WRs split wide, so we will be able to have more in the box to help stop the run. Offense looked good after getting going.

Good vs good. 

Burton 1 - Grayson Co. 1

Holston 1 - Rural Retreat 0

Burton had a couple big plays, but also threw a bad INT. Grayson scored on the last play on a QB scramble.

Holston scored on a 20ish yard pass to the 2 then ran it in. Nothing flashy. Just a methodical offense. Rural Retreats offense actually went backwards. Holston may not crash and burn like some have predicted. 

31 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

How'd Richlands and Narrows turn out?

29 minutes ago, Spartan winger said:

Honestly Narrows man handled them.

6 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Narrows completely dominated Richlands on both sides of the ball

Narrows was definitely the better team out there. I wish Richlands was healthy. I have no idea how to gauge any of this with 15 kids out including 4 starting linemen. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Narrows was definitely the better team out there. I wish Richlands was healthy. I have no idea how to gauge any of this with 15 kids out including 4 starting linemen. 

That’s a lot of kids out! Could’ve been the difference. 

Graham’s defense looking pretty stout. Got here late but GMen scored at least one TD. 

Graham scores again.

Gate City scores. You gotta wrap up or those fast ones get loose. Think some of the starters were out though. 

Graham scores again.

4 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

That’s a lot of kids out! Could’ve been the difference. 

It was 21 last week. 😅😅

Our line should be our strength. But it’s not gonna be when 4/5 are in shorts lol 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

15 out, holy cow! That’s crazy!