Scrimmage Results

Spartan winger

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Agree with your assessment.  I agree with what you said about Isabelle.  Graham looks like they may have a nasty defense again this season.  They have size and strength up front, smart linebackers with good size and strength and a fast and talented secondary.  They also have a little bit of depth on that D-Line.  The running game should be solid.  The QB play and passing game will be the key to their success.  If that develops and comes along, they could make another run.

you guys must have watched a different game than me. if grahams D line doesn't play well they are trouble. not much on the back on end expect for 1 their corner who will come up and hit. only team speed is 5 then its a huge drop off when 17 came into run he looked average at best and jet sweeps looked slow and their passing game was pretty much nonexistent. i think step back for this team. just my opinion. 

55 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

you guys must have watched a different game than me. if grahams D line doesn't play well they are trouble. not much on the back on end expect for 1 their corner who will come up and hit. only team speed is 5 then its a huge drop off when 17 came into run he looked average at best and jet sweeps looked slow and their passing game was pretty much nonexistent. i think step back for this team. just my opinion. 

That Graham uni is an automatic ticket to D1 schools. Just take a look on Facebook this morning and see all the future D1 players that are being shared and talked about. 

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Just finished watching Graham vs. Gate City.  It appeared that in varsity action Graham out-scored Gate City 2 td's to 0.  In JV, Gate City outscored Graham 1 TD to 0.  

Graham's defense is definitely ahead of the offense.  Gate City managed a few gainers, but more often then not, they were stopped in the backfield and the QB was whistled down a lot on the passing plays (They wouldn't let the QB's get hit).  Gate City's JV moved the ball well against Graham's JV.  Clements scored 2 long TD's for Graham.  It looked like Isabelle got quite a few carries in the scrimmage.  I couldn't tell who was on the D-Line for Graham, they were wearing different #'s then what I am used to.  Roberts was good, when he was in (didn't play him a bunch), I guess they are trying to get others ready.  # 64 looked good and # 11 also # 23 played well on the D - Line.  # 69 must be the kid from Texas, he got a good push on the line when he was in there.  He will be good to come in on 3rd and short or just to spell some of the others.  Clements only carried the ball 3 or 4 times and had the 2 td's.  Like everybody else, they are a work in progress.  The passing game did not look good for Graham, they need to work on that big time. 

actually Graham JV did score 1 TD

3-1 overall

1 hour ago, Hard Hitter said:

#17 has 3 guys in front of him on the depth chart at rb.  I was surprised to see him running the ball. Im sure they were working on blocking.  #6 and #33 will probably be the backup rb's before #17.  But I'm speculating.

Graham- 
Graham starters didn’t play a lot. I’ve seen the comments on defense and I think they can and will be solid but I disagree with Isabel kid, he has potential but think he would be better as OLB. He missed several tackles and Gate City ran right up the middle. When Meadows wasn’t in there with him he looked sloppy. Not saying he isn’t talented and can’t be great but don’t think he is in the right position yet.  Graham had a dynamic LB group that got them to state so not sure why they don’t have Meadows and Hughes together. Why mess with something that worked well. I guess we will see. The passing games needs some work and hope they work on that. Keep #5 healthy he is fantastic. I expected more of Roberts and Loyd yesterday against Gate City. They have some kinks to work out before the Beaver game but think they can do it. 

3 hours ago, Brownies99 said:

Did anyone watch the Marion/Honaker scrimmage yesterday?

When it was 1s vs 1s Honaker busted one big run on Marion then was held pretty quite the rest of the night. Honaker had a running back that looked very good. The rumor going around the stands was that he was a Graham transfer not sure if there is any truth to that. Honaker offense seems to have adapted to the air raid better than Marion has the flex bone it’s still early for the canes they have some time to work out the kinks. 

42 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

When it was 1s vs 1s Honaker busted one big run on Marion then was held pretty quite the rest of the night. Honaker had a running back that looked very good. The rumor going around the stands was that he was a Graham transfer not sure if there is any truth to that. Honaker offense seems to have adapted to the air raid better than Marion has the flex bone it’s still early for the canes they have some time to work out the kinks. 

Honaker running back is a junior he has been there last few years he’s not from Graham

8 hours ago, Hard Hitter said:

I don't think Gate City had but 1 or 2 first downs against the starters. Pretty sure you were watching another game.

On 8/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, Jags52 said:

On 8/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

I think I seen 1 player from Ridgeview hurt his shoulder, hopefully nothing serious but he did take his pads off for the remainder of the day. But with having 10 teams there I was very surprised there weren’t more injuries. It was a good day of football. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:51 PM, gwloyal said:

That hurdle was beautiful. One of the prettiest high school football plays I've seen in person in a while.

I wasn't upset after our scrimmage against Mt. Airy. I knew we were well out-classed coming in, but Mt. Airy was even better than I had thought. 

Ridgeview's QB is that dude. I was very impressed with him. Beavers looks sharp too.

The WR from Narrows looks like a special player as well. 

The best thing about the night is that there didn't appear to be any significant injuries and seeing those lights turn on later in the evening. Football is back!

I heard it was Koda Counts for Ridgeview with the shoulder injury (#5).  Not sure how serious it is, but if he's out for an extended period of time, that's a significant loss.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I heard it was Koda Counts for Ridgeview with the shoulder injury (#5).  Not sure how serious it is, but if he's out for an extended period of time, that's a significant loss.

knee jerk reaction would say "he's just their 3rd Receiver", but if you look at stats and when he caught his catches he was a major part of their offensive success last season.

6 minutes ago, redtiger said:

knee jerk reaction would say "he's just their 3rd Receiver", but if you look at stats and when he caught his catches he was a major part of their offensive success last season.

Yes... My meaning of significant was to say that it wouldn't be the straw that broke the camel's back, but it wouldn't be a "Meh, next man up..." type situation either.