Virginia High vs John Battle: 61st City-County Bowl

V-Cats

Both teams struggled with their district openers last week and will look to rebound for this longstanding rivalry. Last year VHS recorded the largest win in the series history, blanking the Trojans 63-0 on Battle Hill

Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Anyway to rename this game? 

Bristol Bowl?

Some call it the Battle of Bristol (which would probably work now that the V-T Game has died) but City-County Bowl has been what I've always heard it called

12 hours ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Who is to blame for the demise of VA-TN game?

Whoever hired a string of coaches that couldn’t beat Tennessee with even a small bit of regularity, forcing the schools to stop playing a series that was very, very lopsided? That’s my guess. 

19 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Whoever hired a string of coaches that couldn’t beat Tennessee with even a small bit of regularity, forcing the schools to stop playing a series that was very, very lopsided? That’s my guess. 

IMHO the lopsidedness of that rivalry had more to do with a disparity of money in the programs and the size of the schools but VHS being a revolving door of coaches for 20 years definitely didn't help.

I (and many other alumni) still have mixed feelings about it ending; I wish they would at least scrimmage each other annually but that's hard since the TSSAA starts a week earlier than us

On 8/30/2022 at 2:52 PM, V-Cats said:

IMHO the lopsidedness of that rivalry had more to do with a disparity of money in the programs and the size of the schools but VHS being a revolving door of coaches for 20 years definitely didn't help.

I (and many other alumni) still have mixed feelings about it ending; I wish they would at least scrimmage each other annually but that's hard since the TSSAA starts a week earlier than us

What about Abingdon?

33 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I want to believe in the Trojans, I really do. So, I'm going with Battle to shock Bristol this week, 21-14.

I think it will be a more competitive game.   I’d like to see JB pull it out as well but at the end of the day VA High has a couple of playmakers and Battle doesn’t have that yet.

Great game from our guys to bounce back after the Tazewell loss, Poku especially looked great on offense and defense 

Battle has improved from last year but there is just so much that needs work there, down to the fundamentals. I think Ricker is a good coach, he's just in one of the two hardest jobs in Region 2D (along with Lee)