Rye Cove@Lee High

VFL

29 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

If he's good enough colleges will find him no matter where he's at  unless it's Fuentes who can't see talent an hour or two down the road as Graham fans would know

Oh they'll see him no doubt. From what I hear several D1 programs that aren't "local" already have their eye on him, but will they offer him(assuming he develops into a player worthy of consideration) when he plays 1A ball? I doubt it but you never know. My college level predictions are generally way off

I don't see any advantage or at least very, very, very little advantage in transferring to a Union or GC (Class 2 School) from a Class 1 school to significantly raise recruiting rating or increase confidence from the Tennessee Coaches or UVA coaches by going from a Class 1 school to a Class 2 school.  Just my opinion, but it seems like that is just adding a 20 minute drive twice a day for very little benefit.   If he camps and does the off season stuff, he's going to be more than fine by staying right there at Rye Cove.  Now, if it were a transfer to possibly raise recruiting ranking, then you have to go big.....as in....very big.  Might as well go past Gate City and drive on to Kingsport to Dobyns Bennett.  According to mapquest that I just pulled up, that's a 30 minute haul from Duffield to Kingsport.  Might as well go the extra 10 minutes if you are going to do the transfer thing.  

12 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I don't see any advantage or at least very, very, very little advantage in transferring to a Union or GC (Class 2 School) from a Class 1 school to significantly raise recruiting rating or increase confidence from the Tennessee Coaches or UVA coaches by going from a Class 1 school to a Class 2 school.  Just my opinion, but it seems like that is just adding a 20 minute drive twice a day for very little benefit.   If he camps and does the off season stuff, he's going to be more than fine by staying right there at Rye Cove.  Now, if it were a transfer to possibly raise recruiting ranking, then you have to go big.....as in....very big.  Might as well go past Gate City and drive on to Kingsport to Dobyns Bennett.  According to mapquest that I just pulled up, that's a 30 minute haul from Duffield to Kingsport.  Might as well go the extra 10 minutes if you are going to do the transfer thing.  

I agree I’d assume if James Mitchell played for Twin Springs he would still be in NFL but with that being said come on down to Union bud

16 hours ago, redtiger said:

I had a long response typed out that I lost, it all boils down to competition and talent produced. Union plays big games vs tough competition and has 3 players currently in NCAA Division II or higher and one in the NFL that all came through the program in the past 5 years. The Cumberland District as a whole has no one playing in college and to my knowledge hasn't sent a player to Division II or higher in at least the past 2 decades. 

How will this kid perform on the field vs good competition? If he stays at Rye Cove a recruiter will never know until they get him on campus. At Union he will play against good competition in the M7, not to mention non-conference games against good SWD teams and from what I hear big time NET teams. 

Coleman Thomas may be a good comparison here.  Fort Chiswell had 0 quality football history/attention and played in what most thought was the worst district in VA HS football at the time if my memory serves.  Just before the rise of Galax with Dixon.  He got plenty of attention. 

It all comes down to connections and going the places you need to be seen.  All of that is in place currently with him participating in national camps already, and RCs staff has some pretty far reaching college connections also.

46 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Coleman Thomas may be a good comparison here.  Fort Chiswell had 0 quality football history/attention and played in what most thought was the worst district in VA HS football at the time if my memory serves.  Just before the rise of Galax with Dixon.  He got plenty of attention. 

It all comes down to connections and going the places you need to be seen.  All of that is in place currently with him participating in national camps already, and RCs staff has some pretty far reaching college connections also.

People forget that Fort Chiswell had two P5 starters on the same team. It was actually a pretty big upset when Graham beat them that year. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

People forget that Fort Chiswell had two P5 starters on the same team. It was actually a pretty big upset when Graham beat them that year. 

Very true.  Hamm transferred and graduated elsewhere didnt he?   I used Thomas because of the OL comparison.  

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Very true.  Hamm transferred and graduated elsewhere didnt he?   I used Thomas because of the OL comparison.  

I could be wrong but I think he played his whole career at UVA. I feel like that’s actually when he finally started some games. 

I didn’t mean anything towards you on you not mentioning Hamm. I just meant that there was a 1a school in SWVA had two P5 kids not too long ago but it doesn’t get talked about much 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I could be wrong but I think he played his whole career at UVA. I feel like that’s actually when he finally started some games. 

I didn’t mean anything towards you on you not mentioning Hamm. I just meant that there was a 1a school in SWVA had two P5 kids not too long ago but it doesn’t get talked about much 

He did play 5 seasons with UVA.  He got a fair amount of run in 2015 as a SO, then virtually none in 2016 after Mendenhall took over, then some again in 2017.  Weird career if you look by the numbers.  I always felt he was underutilized.

16 hours ago, EH31 said:

I was actually referring to him transferring in HS away from FC or was that another RB they had around that time?  Maybe I am thinking of someone else all together. 

13 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I was actually referring to him transferring in HS away from FC or was that another RB they had around that time?  Maybe I am thinking of someone else all together. 

I can’t think of his name now but I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the RB that transferred to Galax a few years after Hamm graduated. 

On 10/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, goose111874 said:

If he's good enough colleges will find him no matter where he's at  unless it's Fuentes who can't see talent an hour or two down the road as Graham fans would know

I stand by the thought of better to be a spectacular star on a not so great team than a great player on a great team.  If the rest of the team is lacking then it showcases what that person can do where as the other way, how much of it is the athlete and how much of it is the team.

If you haven't watched this game on NFHS yet, please do so. Rye Cove was obviously outmatched by Lee, BUT you can really tell they have something going for them. Well coached on O and D. Several talented kids. The offensive schemes and play calling were very good.

I know they're young, so they're just going to get better. I think they will be Reg D champions next year if they stay on this trajectory.