Gate City @ Lee High

generallyspeaking

This is a big rivalry game with big playoff implications. These could be either the #2-3 or #3-4 teams in the M7. The Generals want to get that loss back from last season and GC got screwed out of a playoff appearance last year so i’m sure they want this one just as bad. The Blue Devils play to the level of their competition in every game it seems like, so expect this to be close. Lee has been able to put up big numbers on offense all season, but the defense is still questionable. Last week they held Burton to short gains every 2 or 3 plays then they would bust a huge play. They couldn’t contain the QB to save their life and he’s no speedster. The defense came up big when they needed to most in the 4th qtr so hopefully Coach Carrol can keep that rolling into this week. 

12 hours ago, generallyspeaking said:

This is a big rivalry game with big playoff implications. These could be either the #2-3 or #3-4 teams in the M7. 

If Gate City beats Lee and Central, then 1 team in the Lee vs GC contest is playing for the outright regular season M7 title the final game at Legion against Ridgeview.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If Gate City beats Lee and Central, then 1 team in the Lee vs GC contest is playing for the outright regular season M7 title the final game at Legion against Ridgeview.

True. Crazy to believe Gate City is even in position to do that. Good for them but I sure hope they lose Friday night at Five Star. 

The district can still be split a couple of different ways the next few weeks.  It's going to be very close with 2-4 . The region will fall the same way. Several different scenarios that can happen and completely change the playoff bracket. Playoffs will be very good i believe.  Gate city looks to be playing pretty sound football again, thank God all is right in the world. Should be a good game,  wishing they would move some of these key match-ups to Thursday or Saturday.   

33-24 gate city 

I like Lee Highs Coach Carroll. He's a good one. Smart, very smart offensive guy. He's also classy off the field. I read where the Lee football team was collecting supplies and helping with Kentucky flood victims back in August.  GC is much improved and playing good ball, but they have played somewhat to the level of their competition as Generallyspeaking wrote about. This game might be close. Lee can spread it around and open it up offensively and that's not GCs strong point defensively. Might be a close game down in Ben Hur. Lee High is obviously going to have a hellacious time trying to stop GCs run game, which is pretty darn good.

One more thing..GCs QB. Lots of QB talk this year with some good ones in the coverage area from Radford to Princeton, Tazewell, Ridgeview and Lebanon to Vhigh. The GC QB isn't D1 or anything like that, but that kid can sneaky good throw it well. He's a heady kid and rock solid high football IQ. I watched him against Union and Abingdon. The kid can throw the ball and is smooth, and GC can actually pass the ball far better than what many may think. Union and Abingdon can attest to that. GC hurt both of them some with the pass.

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I like Lee Highs Coach Carroll. He's a good one. Smart, very smart offensive guy. He's also classy off the field. I read where the Lee football team was collecting supplies and helping with Kentucky flood victims back in August.  GC is much improved and playing good ball, but they have played somewhat to the level of their competition as Generallyspeaking wrote about. This game might be close. Lee can spread it around and open it up offensively and that's not GCs strong point defensively. Might be a close game down in Ben Hur. Lee High is obviously going to have a hellacious time trying to stop GCs run game, which is pretty darn good.

One more thing..GCs QB. Lots of QB talk this year with some good ones in the coverage area from Radford to Princeton, Tazewell, Ridgeview and Lebanon to Vhigh. The GC QB isn't D1 or anything like that, but that kid can sneaky good throw it well. He's a heady kid and rock solid high football IQ. I watched him against Union and Abingdon. The kid can throw the ball and is smooth, and GC can actually pass the ball far better than what many may think. Union and Abingdon can attest to that. GC hurt both of them some with the pass.

How has Lee's QB been this year? I know last year he was tearing it up.

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

His is the one coaching staff I would be interested to see how would handle RV's offensive talent.  I think he would have that group scoring 50 a game. 

Stats will look good on paper but he's not had that breakout game yet that will come in a significant win against one of the more dominant teams in the region. He's still had decent showings,  but no threat to run as of yet but they let the running back/h- back do the beating and banging so he don't really have to.  If he was able to scramble and pick up some first downs on 3rd and short it might help the offense keep defenses a little more honest. Caroll don't a good job there, but anything is an improvement.  They're competing and that's the first step. 

16 minutes ago, Volfan101 said:

How has Lee's QB been this year? I know last year he was tearing it up.

He can sling it, but they don’t run many varied routes. Mostly fades down the sidelines, screens, and some slants. If they had some more complex, mid-level routes they would tear defenses apart. They don’t throw as much as they should in my opinion. Pendergraft’s stats are pretty good. Not a lot of interceptions and a high completion %. But they typically throw between 15-25 times a game when it should be closer to 30. The run game has been pretty damn effective though so I understand why they keep feeding it to Huff. #33 Connor Roop got some carries last game and good god that kid runs hard and fast. 

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Stats will look good on paper but he's not had that breakout game yet that will come in a significant win against one of the more dominant teams in the region. He's still had decent showings,  but no threat to run as of yet but they let the running back/h- back do the beating and banging so he don't really have to.  If he was able to scramble and pick up some first downs on 3rd and short it might help the offense keep defenses a little more honest. Caroll don't a good job there, but anything is an improvement.  They're competing and that's the first step. 

Very true. He’s yet to prove himself against good defenses and he would help the team out a whole lot if he hit the weights and threatened the run game. The kid is not a bad athlete I think they’re just afraid to get him injured. 

27 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

He can sling it, but they don’t run many varied routes. Mostly fades down the sidelines, screens, and some slants. If they had some more complex, mid-level routes they would tear defenses apart. They don’t throw as much as they should in my opinion. Pendergraft’s stats are pretty good. Not a lot of interceptions and a high completion %. But they typically throw between 15-25 times a game when it should be closer to 30. The run game has been pretty damn effective though so I understand why they keep feeding it to Huff. #33 Connor Roop got some carries last game and good god that kid runs hard and fast. 

I have watched a few games of Lee on NFHS and you have hit it spot on. It seems like they run the same play over and over from the games I have seen. I think they could surprise some teams if they do some sort of a read option. Hell he could possibly turn it into a big gain because i'd say opposing coaches are not telling the d-end to be ready for the BCR 🤣  

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Tough 3/4 games coming up for them that's for sure.  Seems everyone that's not rv or Graham is gonna be a straight up dog fight for seeding. 

I wouldn’t say RV is out of the clear.  Their schedule is JB at home and then three straight road trips to Abingdon, Bluefield and Gate City.  That’s as tough a finish as anyone else has.

I can see this one turning into a shoot out really quick. Both QB's as talented and both teams should be coming in with a lot of confidence. Lee has played the lesser schedule but that doesnt mean they have the lesser team. GC is battled tested and has played pretty good competition and is very much battle tested but they played some bad games at start of the season. I think which ever team can make the other team pass the ball because they have to not because they want to wins the game. Which team that is I have no idea. 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, generallyspeaking said:

#33 Connor Roop got some carries last game and good god that kid runs hard and fast. 

He is a beast on the defensive side also on the games I have watched. The kid is in on almost every tackle. I have been waiting on them to give him the ball. I went back and watched the game against Burton last night and I think lee should have thrown it about 30 times. Number 32 from Lee looked good and I have never seen him targeted before.

Roop is very good on the defensive side of the ball.  Was somewhat surprised at his speed as he pulled away from the Burton defenders as he sprinted for the end zone late last Friday.  It will be a fun Friday to flip between this game and Grundy/Burton and maybe another or two on the network tomorrow night.