Early Season Thoughts?

Rev833

From what I have seen and read in the papers. 

Richlands is way down this year I am not sure of there record but they did lose to Graham last night who has been a bottom feeder in the SWD for a while

Lebanon is still as dominant as they have been in recent years even with the coaching change. Should be the 1D favorite at this point in the season.

Tazewell is undefeated against WV teams but lost to Lebanon. Good news for them they may repeat as Coppenger tournament champs but does not do them much good as far as the district in concerned

Chilhowie is the most hot and cold team in the area IMO. They beat Richlands, Grayson, and came back from 5 runs down to beat Union. They have also given up a total of 39 runs in their losses this season. The only class one team they have played is Grayson and Chilhowie won the Region last year after a similar start. My prediction is they will square off with Lebanon again for the region title and make it to the state playoffs again

VA High has had a rough start to the season but picked up their first win last night against Radford. Just like Chilhowie though they schedule tough to start the season and will most likely be in the mix when May comes around. I havnt seen Brody Jones' name in the paper so I am assuming he decided not to play which is a big blow to their post season hopes but VA high is still VA high. I am going to have to see them not win the district to believe it.

Marion has had an interesting start to the season. The first two games were lack luster performances to say the least losing the Fort Chiswell and Rural Retreat. They have seemed to find their line up the past 3 games though beating the other Smyth County teams a combined 40-13  with another game against northwood to play. They are treading in the right direction right now as long as they can keep improving it will be interesting come district time. Tazewell Marion and VA high should have a pretty good battle to see who comes out on top

Tazewell and Lebanon both have a great start. They both have strong, solid programs, with new coaches invested and should finish strong. 

Graham looks to have gained some great support and a coach that will stick around to help them grow. 

Richlands is truly sad. Those kids have next to nothing and a program cannot succeed without a home. Imagine losing the ability to host ballgames. Hope the coach  will stick around and find some way to keep them a float. It’s a sad time to be a baseball player in Blue Tornado country. 

6 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Tazewell and Lebanon both have a great start. They both have strong, solid programs, with new coaches invested and should finish strong. 

Graham looks to have gained some great support and a coach that will stick around to help them grow. 

Richlands is truly sad. Those kids have next to nothing and a program cannot succeed without a home. Imagine losing the ability to host ballgames. Hope the coach  will stick around and find some way to keep them a float. It’s a sad time to be a baseball player in Blue Tornado country. 

I just don’t know why Richlands threw Hale against Lebanon in a non district game earlier in the week. If they knew that they couldn’t hit (had 16 ks against lebanons third best pitcher in 6 innings) now maybe Lebanon just has that many great arms but if they want to contend in the district why would they use up their only hope in non district games. I will say that Graham has a solid team compared to some of the ones they’ve had in recent years. Tazewell is still my favorite to win the swd and probably be the second best team in the region other than JB. Va High is too streaky right now to say they have a shot at winning. They could easily slip up and lose to Richlands Graham and Marion 

Ridgeview has had an incredible turn around this year but I still don’t see anyone beating John Battle in the M7. Abingdon will obviously be a great team but without Gibson it will hurt them.

Lebanon has had an amazing start with only two losses to Number one ranked TSA 3a Tennessee High. Had a tough schedule this past week with playing Richlands Va High and Tazewell back-to-back-to-back winning all 3. And will have another tough schedule this week playing Richlands tazewell and abingdon all within 3 days. From what I’ve seen their top 3 arms are probably the best in the whole region regardless of classification. They are currently 4-0 against teams from their future district.

21 hours ago, Stelley said:

I just don’t know why Richlands threw Hale against Lebanon in a non district game earlier in the week. If they knew that they couldn’t hit (had 16 ks against lebanons third best pitcher in 6 innings) now maybe Lebanon just has that many great arms but if they want to contend in the district why would they use up their only hope in non district games. I will say that Graham has a solid team compared to some of the ones they’ve had in recent years. Tazewell is still my favorite to win the swd and probably be the second best team in the region other than JB. Va High is too streaky right now to say they have a shot at winning. They could easily slip up and lose to Richlands Graham and Marion 

Ridgeview has had an incredible turn around this year but I still don’t see anyone beating John Battle in the M7. Abingdon will obviously be a great team but without Gibson it will hurt them.

Lebanon has had an amazing start with only two losses to Number one ranked TSA 3a Tennessee High. Had a tough schedule this past week with playing Richlands Va High and Tazewell back-to-back-to-back winning all 3. And will have another tough schedule this week playing Richlands tazewell and abingdon all within 3 days. From what I’ve seen their top 3 arms are probably the best in the whole region regardless of classification. They are currently 4-0 against teams from their future district.

Lebanon has had a good start without hitting the ball consistently. When their bats wake up,  1A better be on notice. One game at a time Pioneers. 

The Lebanon and Abingdon game will be a good one. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way. A Lebanon win would be a huge confidence booster before district play begins. 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, Jags52 said:

From what I have seen and read in the papers. 

Richlands is way down this year I am not sure of there record but they did lose to Graham last night who has been a bottom feeder in the SWD for a while

Lebanon is still as dominant as they have been in recent years even with the coaching change. Should be the 1D favorite at this point in the season.

Tazewell is undefeated against WV teams but lost to Lebanon. Good news for them they may repeat as Coppenger tournament champs but does not do them much good as far as the district in concerned

Chilhowie is the most hot and cold team in the area IMO. They beat Richlands, Grayson, and came back from 5 runs down to beat Union. They have also given up a total of 39 runs in their losses this season. The only class one team they have played is Grayson and Chilhowie won the Region last year after a similar start. My prediction is they will square off with Lebanon again for the region title and make it to the state playoffs again

VA High has had a rough start to the season but picked up their first win last night against Radford. Just like Chilhowie though they schedule tough to start the season and will most likely be in the mix when May comes around. I havnt seen Brody Jones' name in the paper so I am assuming he decided not to play which is a big blow to their post season hopes but VA high is still VA high. I am going to have to see them not win the district to believe it.

Marion has had an interesting start to the season. The first two games were lack luster performances to say the least losing the Fort Chiswell and Rural Retreat. They have seemed to find their line up the past 3 games though beating the other Smyth County teams a combined 40-13  with another game against northwood to play. They are treading in the right direction right now as long as they can keep improving it will be interesting come district time. Tazewell Marion and VA high should have a pretty good battle to see who comes out on top

Lebanon is hungry this season, and that makes them scary. The end of last season left them with a bad taste in their mouths. They knew they dropped the ball.  They could be the best team in 1A this season. They definitely are going to contend for a state title.  

3 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Lebanon is hungry this season, and that makes them scary. The end of last season left them with a bad taste in their mouths. They knew they dropped the ball.  They could be the best team in 1A this season. They definitely are going to contend for a state title.  

Lebanon is a baseball factory and seems like they havnt missed beat without Doc leading the way. Should compete for the 2D crown next year as well

Caught the Ridgeview and John Battle game.  The Wolfpack are much improved but are still mostly athletes playing baseball. If the new coach had been hired 2-3 years this senior class would be a seriously tough out.

Haven't caught Abingdon yet but Battle will be a hard out.  They threw their two stud pitchers against the Pack (a testament to the Pack’s improvement or just available?) Clocked Gobble consistently around 81, max of 83 and Hankins maxed at 84. As season warms up those probably rise by 2-3 MPH or so.  They have bats all up and down the lineup and one thing that struck me is they are all athletic and move very well on the base paths.  They will be a hard out for any team in state.

I think you have John Battle, Abingdon and Tazewell in baseball then everyone else.

In softball you have Tazewell, Rye Cove, Central and Gate City then everyone else.  I would like to see a Tazewell and Rye Cove game after this weekend.

5 hours ago, Jack Jennings said:

I think you have John Battle, Abingdon and Tazewell in baseball then everyone else.

In softball you have Tazewell, Rye Cove, Central and Gate City then everyone else.  I would like to see a Tazewell and Rye Cove game after this weekend.

lebanon will prob have something to say about that in baseball!!!

I want to go watch Tazewell's girls play pretty soon.  They should be pretty good again.  Heard they won 2 at the jamboree they had last weekend, they went to a tourney in Kingsport and did well against some very good competition (won 1 and tied 1 - from what I was told).  I think they will make another run at the region D title this year.

15 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

lebanon will prob have something to say about that in baseball!!!

There’s definitely tiers in baseball. Top tier baseball teams in our area are definitely Lebanon/battle/abingdon all three of these teams can run rule any of the teams they play. Then second tier teams are the ones like RR/Tazewell/Va High.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I want to go watch Tazewell's girls play pretty soon.  They should be pretty good again.  Heard they won 2 at the jamboree they had last weekend, they went to a tourney in Kingsport and did well against some very good competition (won 1 and tied 1 - from what I was told).  I think they will make another run at the region D title this year.

Tazewell was 1-1-1 in the Eastman.  5 inning no hit 0-0 tie with Boone.  Boone has a collective of tops bats including VT signee Maci Masters (She can rake) so the no hitter is extremely impressive there.  They lost to Nations Ford I think was the name out of South Carolina and beat Greeneville 7-2 in four innings.  Compton pitched against Boone and Greeneville.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:04 AM, Jack Jennings said:

I would agree with 3 of the 4 in softball.  This isn't the same Central team from last year.  Pitching isn't as strong.  Loss to Abingdon this week should be concerning

Tazewell was 1-1-1 in the Eastman.  5 inning no hit 0-0 tie with Boone.  Boone has a collective of tops bats including VT signee Maci Masters (She can rake) so the no hitter is extremely impressive there.  They lost to Nations Ford I think was the name out of South Carolina and beat Greeneville 7-2 in four innings.  Compton pitched against Boone and Greeneville.

Compton struck out 17 in an 8-0 win over Wyoming East today.

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Lebanon beats Abingdon today and Tazewell yesterday I would say they are top tier 

Yea I’m pretty sure that’s very safe to say now.

2 hours ago, Stelley said:

Does anyone know if Lebanon and Battle play each other this year?

I am pretty sure they don't. If Lebanon was in 2 D this year that would be an insane final. Might have to wait until next year for that one. Lebanon is going to be pretty loaded for a while.  They most definitely one of the front runners for the 1 A state championship  this year.  

On 4/5/2023 at 11:04 AM, Jack Jennings said:

This hasn't aged too well. Lebanon always has to be acknowledged in baseball as a top tier team. They are a baseball powerhouse. On the list above, Lebanon has beat both Tazewell and Abingdon  twice. They would probably beat John Battle as well. They are most definitely the primer baseball team in SWVA regardless of size.