What we think we know Week 1

SwvaOG

After the first week of games in the East I'd say don't sleep on Westmoreland (formerly Washington & Lee). They got their QB back after he suffered a fractured ankle in week one a season ago. Also, Northumberland has a number of athletes who should make them a sleeper. I believe the entire 4X100 state champion relay unit is on the team. Also, Sussex Central isn't quite what most thought they would be as they have 5 players from last year's team who are no longer with the program (I'll let you figure that one out, shouldn't be too difficult). Also, Cenral-Lunenburg is now Class 2. 

9 hours ago, ImFromOutEast said:

After the first week of games in the East I'd say don't sleep on Westmoreland (formerly Washington & Lee). They got their QB back after he suffered a fractured ankle in week one a season ago. Also, Northumberland has a number of athletes who should make them a sleeper. I believe the entire 4X100 state champion relay unit is on the team. Also, Sussex Central isn't quite what most thought they would be as they have 5 players from last year's team who are no longer with the program (I'll let you figure that one out, shouldn't be too difficult). Also, Cenral-Lunenburg is now Class 2. 

I'm not familiar much with the Northern Neck Schools. I hear Westmoreland, maybe Northumberland, maybe West Point (not in the NND if I recall correctly) could offer a challenge to Essex.  It just seems like none of them can ever get over the hump and get past Essex in the East to represent Class 1A in the state semi's.  Until one of them does it, I just can't pick em to get it done.  I forgot about Central-Lunenburg moving up to Class 2.  Also, Brunswick moved down from Class 2 to Class 1.  Brunswick might be in the same boat as Westmoreland, Northumberland, and West Point as having at least a chance to do something with Essex.  Brunswick did beat Sussex Central last year if I'm not mistaken. 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:22 AM, SwvaOG said:

1) The M7 is NOT as wide open as we thought.  Looks like RV @ Union is the showdown. Lee and Central did not show up.  Abingdon freakin’ loses to JSB!  GC, Union and RV handles business.

2) The SWD is just not good football past Graham.  Richlands needs to accelerate the rebuild.  Just throw Graham in the M7 and call it a day. 

3) Honaker is the class of 1D and is better than a good part of 2D.  And, yes, the transfers are a big part of that. Holston’s QB is a sleeper in that region.

4) If JSB keeps this up, I’ll gladly eat that lemon.

you can say the same about all of grahams transfers as well, just saying.....

39 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

you can say the same about all of grahams transfers as well, just saying.....

With the Honaker or Graham transfers, why did they go there?  Why didn't the Mount View kids go to Richlands or the Bluefield kids go to Princeton?  How come the kids that went to Honaker didn't go to Lebanon, Grundy, or Tazewell?  I wonder why they did that?  I never understood why in the 90's, the Kecoughtan High and Bethel kids were all going to Hampton instead of going to Warwick or Phoebus, or why many of the Lee High kids have gone to Union chose this over Thomas Walker?  There is one thing in common with all of the schools that received transfers. They were all Winning BEFORE the transfers occurred and that winning played a gigantic part as to why they went there.  That's not to minimize recruiting of kids which is not appropriate and yes, it does happen and it's wrong, but I'm just saying that when you see transfer schools, the overwhelming majority were playing pretty good football Before the transfers started coming in, and/or they have/had a players coach, a coach that kids want to play for.  Willis White, Mike Smith, Greg Mance, Tony Palmer, Tiller, etc. 

12 hours ago, ImFromOutEast said:

I see where Westmoreland beat West Point this weekend.  Maybe they can give it a go against Essex. West Point was supposed to be pretty good from what I heard.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

With the Honaker or Graham transfers, why did they go there?  Why didn't the Mount View kids go to Richlands or the Bluefield kids go to Princeton?  How come the kids that went to Honaker didn't go to Lebanon, Grundy, or Tazewell?  I wonder why they did that?  I never understood why in the 90's, the Kecoughtan High and Bethel kids were all going to Hampton instead of going to Warwick or Phoebus, or why many of the Lee High kids have gone to Union chose this over Thomas Walker?  There is one thing in common with all of the schools that received transfers. They were all Winning BEFORE the transfers occurred and that winning played a gigantic part as to why they went there.  That's not to minimize recruiting of kids which is not appropriate and yes, it does happen and it's wrong, but I'm just saying that when you see transfer schools, the overwhelming majority were playing pretty good football Before the transfers started coming in, and/or they have/had a players coach, a coach that kids want to play for.  Willis White, Mike Smith, Greg Mance, Tony Palmer, Tiller, etc. 

I think the Tiller/Honaker winning perspective doesn’t really tell the story in this case being only his second year. Throughout the years, Honaker has gone through normal cycles football wise. I’m not even sure of Tiller’s overall record. In the short term, it’s probably the most attractive due to the off the field factors discussed at Richlands ad nauseum, and the chance for greater success quickly. In other words, Honaker is the closest place Richlands can go and have success. Transferring to Tazewell means competing with the likes of Graham, therefore it’s simply tougher to standout and win a championship. Same goes for Lebanon. Credit to Honaker for making the most of a fortunate situation. Richlands must fix its own problems to stop the bleeding.

32 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I think the Tiller/Honaker winning perspective doesn’t really tell the story in this case being only his second year. Throughout the years, Honaker has gone through normal cycles football wise. I’m not even sure of Tiller’s overall record. In the short term, it’s probably the most attractive due to the off the field factors discussed at Richlands ad nauseum, and the chance for greater success quickly. In other words, Honaker is the closest place Richlands can go and have success. Transferring to Tazewell means competing with the likes of Graham, therefore it’s simply tougher to standout and win a championship. Same goes for Lebanon. Credit to Honaker for making the most of a fortunate situation. Richlands must fix its own problems to stop the bleeding.

Personally, I’m rooting for Tiller and Honaker to win the whole thing.  Then he should buy a bronze middle finger and set it in front of the Dickenson County School Board office.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

Personally, I’m rooting for Tiller and Honaker to win the whole thing.  Then he should buy a bronze middle finger and set it in front of the Dickenson County School Board office.  

Personally, I don't think he should have left Fort Chiswell 2-weeks before the beginning of football season. 

Seriously though, I wish him well. I thought he was a very good coach at FC. I don't know what happened at Ridgeview but Karma isn't just a "dancer" in Princeton. Leaving FC the way he did was always going to bring on some negative juju. 

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I’m rooting for them, myself. I just think the attractiveness of Honaker as a transfer destination (at least in football), is more related to other factors than winning tradition and history. If I recall correctly, last season was the first successful season in several years? I can’t remember if it was a first or second round exit, BUT they were indeed set for success this season.

8 hours ago, sixcat said:

Personally, I don't think he should have left Fort Chiswell 2-weeks before the beginning of football season. 

Seriously though, I wish him well. I thought he was a very good coach at FC. I don't know what happened at Ridgeview but Karma isn't just a "dancer" in Princeton. Leaving FC the way he did was always going to bring on some negative juju. 

I don't disagree with this.  The RV job most likely would have been waiting for him either way once Rick Mullins retired.