Virginia High vs Radford (AKA the We're Also Frustrated With Mike Crist Bowl)

V-Cats

21 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

I don't think this is going to be competitive but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to make that joke in the thread title 

Agree that Radford is probably going to run away with it. However, as someone relatively new to the site and SWVA football as a whole, why does Crist get so much hate? 

At Radford, if the QB were to go out due to injury/illness, it will completely change the team.  Now obviously, that's a no "duh" statement that can apply to any Class 1 or 2 school or basically any High School Team when talking about the QB being your best player and an elite level for the High School level.  Any team can make that claim, but his is critically applying here.  As good as CCC is, their system still keeps them rolling.  As good as Clements is, their system/coaching keeps them rolling.  Creasy is a good example.  Great HS QB and huge loss for Tazewell that truly changes the look of their team.  As for Radford, it's monumental.  That kid is so valuable to that team that if he were to go out, Radford becomes a 6-4 type team.  The QB for Radford offensively at least, completely changes the game for the Class 2 level.  

How does the above relate to Crist?  I don't know.  

3 hours ago, MMcMahon26 said:

Agree that Radford is probably going to run away with it. However, as someone relatively new to the site and SWVA football as a whole, why does Crist get so much hate? 

Ask Va High fans how much they loved him when he was there.

I've seen waste of talents plenty before but it does seem like he is above all the rest in that category

4 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Ask Va High fans how much they loved him when he was there.

I've seen waste of talents plenty before but it does seem like he is above all the rest in that category

I submit to you....Essex High and Buckingham High and Southampton High and Martinsville High.

40 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I submit to you....Essex High and Buckingham High and Southampton High and Martinsville High.

Has Essex been a waste of talent? 

Regional championships and state title appearances galore, with a few rings 

27 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Has Essex been a waste of talent? 

Regional championships and state title appearances galore, with a few rings 

They absolutely 100% HAVE been a waste of talent.  They look like Appomattox on steroids.  Their talent is only outmatched (arguably) by Graham.  They are right there with Graham, Appo talent.  They are More talented year in and year than Radford, Glenvar, Riverheads, Central, Poquoson.  Their coach isn't Bad.  But, he's not great, especially offensively.  Their talent level should have had them beating Riverheads probably on 2-3 more times than the previous 8 or so years.  The coach at Essex is better than most in the Northern Neck area and he wins the Region, but he's not great.  The talent in that area is pretty impressive.  It's also good in places like Gretna, Nottoway, Central Luneburg, but the coaching down that way isn't great.  Poquoson and King William win down that way because of coaching.  There are several other teams with similar/equal talent.  For example.....Amelia.  Incredible talent, but loses 40-7 to Poquoson like it's nothing.  

I really don't know, I just see them making deep runs almost every season. They are talented but I've seen Riverheads absolutely take them apart so I wonder if the issue is they have talented players but maybe not real football players? The one time I saw them in person was vs Haysi in '13 and they were a solid outfit but were outmatched a week later vs a loaded Altavista team.

Its just hard for me to believe that they could have done much more than what they have, which is pretty impressive, albeit without many rings.

Would love it if Virginia High pulled an upset, but it's unlikely. Without Radfords QB it would be close. If it only came down to coaching,  Virginia High wins.

Patterson > Crist

Radford 35 - only because of talent,  not coaching.  

VHS 14- improving every game,  but need to find an identity on offense and be able to pass some to keep defenses honest. 

On 9/6/2023 at 5:35 AM, Pioneer said:

Would love it if Virginia High pulled an upset, but it's unlikely. Without Radfords QB it would be close. If it only came down to coaching,  Virginia High wins.

Patterson > Crist

Radford 35 - only because of talent,  not coaching.  

VHS 14- improving every game,  but need to find an identity on offense and be able to pass some to keep defenses honest. 

I disagree.  I saw an undisciplined and unprepared team lose to Radford.