John Battle @ Union

UnionGuy2017

I honestly feel like Battle is deceptively good. Obviously the consensus is this game will likely be a running clock scenario, but let’s not completely disregard them. I was impressed with several wrinkles that were in Unions offense after the bye week. Let’s see how that continues to develop as we get into the witching hour of the season. 

4 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I honestly feel like Battle is deceptively good. Obviously the consensus is this game will likely be a running clock scenario, but let’s not completely disregard them. I was impressed with several wrinkles that were in Unions offense after the bye week. Let’s see how that continues to develop as we get into the witching hour of the season. 

Battle is much improved and has some dangerous weapons. Turner needs to make sure that there's no letdown after clinching the distric. We have much at state with power points and playoffs. If the Bears stay focused, they will handle business.

4 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

This is correct. Battle is a couple of players away from being really good,  Union will be too much for them but I see a 35-6 type game.  

IF, and it’s a big IF, Union gets the game in hand I’ll be interested to see what they do about subbing the QB position. Bostic has looked good for the future but I’d really love to keep him as a WR. He’s improved out there a ton this season. 

Who knows. My Christmas list does have Pendergraft coming from Lee to start at the U next year… and any other teams best player. Lol. 

9 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

IF, and it’s a big IF, Union gets the game in hand I’ll be interested to see what they do about subbing the QB position. Bostic has looked good for the future but I’d really love to keep him as a WR. He’s improved out there a ton this season. 

Who knows. My Christmas list does have Pendergraft coming from Lee to start at the U next year… and any other teams best player. Lol. 

Sykes definitely not coming back now lol!!!  I’m hearing Bostic will be QB but Travis has bragged on JV kid a couple times so who knows 

5 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Sykes definitely not coming back now lol!!!  I’m hearing Bostic will be QB but Travis has bragged on JV kid a couple times so who knows 

The JV kid can ball from all indications, why not keep Bostic at WR where he’s so dangerous and let the youngster learn on the fly? Next year may not be great but imagine 2025 with Bostic Huff and Bunch are SR

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The JV kid can ball from all indications, why not keep Bostic at WR where he’s so dangerous and let the youngster learn on the fly? Next year may not be great but imagine 2025 with Bostic Huff and Bunch are SR

I think we'll be better next season than this season if we get decent QB play.  Lot of kids returning and I agree I'd let the JV kid play and leave Bostic at WR but I don't get a vote.

Union should go 50-50 pass (I know they won't be hear me out).  There is a lull in overall skill (DB) talent this year and next (IMHO).  There just aren't many college (D3 or above) level kids in the region. The region just came off a 2-3 year run of incredible skill talent and not one paper wrote about it.  For example, two seasons ago you had the following in 2D alone:

• WR/Slot:
    • Sage Webb (Richlands) - Penn University (D-1)
    • Cassius Harris (Tazewell) - University of Richmond (D-1)
    • Brandon Beavers (Ridgeview) - Emory & Henry (D-2, had D-1 offer)
    • Koda Counts (Ridgeview) - Bluefield College (NAIA)
    • Cannon Hill (Ridgeview) - No college, several offers (Had D-1, D-2 offers)
    • Carson Jenkins (Gate City) - William & Mary (D-1)
    • Zay Bradshaw (Graham) - Virginia Tech (D-1, Power 5)
    • Haynes Carter (Abingdon) - No college, but All-State WR (Had D-2/3 offers)
  • DB:
    • Bishop Cook (Abingdon) - VMI (D-1)
    • Ethan Mullins (Central) - No college, but 2x All State CB (Had D-2/3 interest)
    • Zay Bradshaw (Graham)- Virginia Tech 
    • Koda Counts (Ridgeview)  - Bluefield College
    • Braden Wadkins (Graham) - Emory & Henry (D-2)
    • Sage Webb (Richlands) - Penn University
    • Brandon Beavers (Ridgeview) - Emory & Henry
    • Carson Jenkins (Gate City) - William & Mary
    • Cassius Harris (Tazewell) - University of Richmond
    • Haynes Carter (Abingdon) - No college, but All State

In that 2021 season you had three kids go over 1,000 yards receiving (Harris and Beavers and I'm rounding up for Carter because he had 950) and Harris set the VHSL single season reception record and still didn't lead the region in TD receptions! (Beavers had 17). The DBs were insane and the weekly matchups were awesome!  Bradshaw and Beavers went at each other in the region championship game with each one catching a pass overtop the other.  Webb, Harris and Bradshaw battled each other and Webb and Beavers matched up twice and in the Richlands-Ridgeview playoff game the two combined for three spectacular TDs in the last 1:36 of the game....each TD was a "game-winner" until the other guy answered.  Carter and Jenkins were spectacular that year with Jenkins being a LEGIT 4.4 guy.  Ethan Mullins was an outstanding CB1 and he and Beavers had some good matchups. That kid was talented and had to square off against the other team's #1 WR every game for several years (So he had to cover Carter, Beavers, Jenkins, and Jenkins (Union) just in the M7).  He could have easily played ball on Saturdays

The region is down talent wise and Union has a cluster of talent in one class--- they need to learn from Ridgeview on what to do and not to do with (3) good WRs.  Ridgeview never maximized use of their skill/athletic advantage when they had it the past two seasons.  Union WR's basically aren't facing very good DB talent or coverages right now. Union needs to AIR IT OUT!!!!!!

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Union should go 50-50 pass (I know they won't be hear me out).  There is a lull in overall skill (DB) talent this year and next (IMHO).  There just aren't many college (D3 or above) level kids in the region. The region just came off a 2-3 year run of incredible skill talent and not one paper wrote about it.  For example, two seasons ago you had the following in 2D alone:

• WR/Slot:
    • Sage Webb (Richlands) - Penn University (D-1)
    • Cassius Harris (Tazewell) - University of Richmond (D-1)
    • Brandon Beavers (Ridgeview) - Emory & Henry (D-2, had D-1 offer)
    • Koda Counts (Ridgeview) - Bluefield College (NAIA)
    • Cannon Hill (Ridgeview) - No college, several offers (Had D-1, D-2 offers)
    • Carson Jenkins (Gate City) - William & Mary (D-1)
    • Zay Bradshaw (Graham) - Virginia Tech (D-1, Power 5)
    • Haynes Carter (Abingdon) - No college, but All-State WR (Had D-2/3 offers)
  • DB:
    • Bishop Cook (Abingdon) - VMI (D-1)
    • Ethan Mullins (Central) - No college, but 2x All State CB (Had D-2/3 interest)
    • Zay Bradshaw (Graham)- Virginia Tech 
    • Koda Counts (Ridgeview)  - Bluefield College
    • Braden Wadkins (Graham) - Emory & Henry (D-2)
    • Sage Webb (Richlands) - Penn University
    • Brandon Beavers (Ridgeview) - Emory & Henry
    • Carson Jenkins (Gate City) - William & Mary
    • Cassius Harris (Tazewell) - University of Richmond
    • Haynes Carter (Abingdon) - No college, but All State

In that 2021 season you had three kids go over 1,000 yards receiving (Harris and Beavers and I'm rounding up for Carter because he had 950) and Harris set the VHSL single season reception record and still didn't lead the region in TD receptions! (Beavers had 17). The DBs were insane and the weekly matchups were awesome!  Bradshaw and Beavers went at each other in the region championship game with each one catching a pass overtop the other.  Webb, Harris and Bradshaw battled each other and Webb and Beavers matched up twice and in the Richlands-Ridgeview playoff game the two combined for three spectacular TDs in the last 1:36 of the game....each TD was a "game-winner" until the other guy answered.  Carter and Jenkins were spectacular that year with Jenkins being a LEGIT 4.4 guy.  Ethan Mullins was an outstanding CB1 and he and Beavers had some good matchups. That kid was talented and had to square off against the other team's #1 WR every game for several years (So he had to cover Carter, Beavers, Jenkins, and Jenkins (Union) just in the M7).  He could have easily played ball on Saturdays

The region is down talent wise and Union has a cluster of talent in one class--- they need to learn from Ridgeview on what to do and not to do with (3) good WRs.  Ridgeview never maximized use of their skill/athletic advantage when they had it the past two seasons.  Union WR's basically aren't facing very good DB talent or coverages right now. Union needs to AIR IT OUT!!!!!!

Probably will if u can talk a certain quarterback in to transferring 

John Battle will give it their all Friday night! They are a Senior deep team who have had spurts of potential.  Lost some really close games in the end or record would and should be better. Senior play with a lot of heart.  Injuries have taken their toll this season with some key players being out.   Prediction: 34-14 Union 

I believe both teams will play hard, and play inspired, in an attempt to send their seniors out with a win. The game could be entertaining but I suspect Union is likely too strong this season. I do plan to attend and I think the atmosphere will be great again this week at Bullitt Park. It really is a special place full of football history.

There are so many gridiron traditions in the Gap that I enjoy; the smell of the well groomed grass turf in November, the sight of coaches bringing the team onto the field barely in time for kickoff, the taste of very best band booster popcorn in SWVA, the sound of the Union fight song, and the feel of another Bears victory!    

I think we have some of the best offensive lineman in the state run strong off right tackle just as good on the left. Not enough credit ever goes to OL.

DEFENSIVELY 62 Lovel is a one man show up front he is tearing it up. Props to Brandon Counton for our defensive improvement. I could see our boys going all the way this season.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, UnionGuy2017 said:

We all know that's going to be a popularity contest and daddy ball will when everytime. I hate to be blunt but everyone knows it's true. A lot of good athletes have been shoved aside or pushed out because of coaches pics so sad.