Blacksburg already forfeits to Salem for next week

60minuteMan

I don't have a dog in this fight and frankly, don't care. But I do have someone I know very, very well and see quite often in the Blacksburg School system. Blacksburg High School is currently battling a severe mono outbreak. Severe enough that the New River Health District is involved.

Some things are bigger than football and all "injuries" are not created equally. 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:34 PM, CPF said:

Wasn't the game moved because there were no visitors stands?

Yes, it was One of the many reasons that Salem threw against a wall hoping something would stick. Bottom line was, they weren't traveling to Grundy, denied Grundy home field advantage, ended up playing on a quagmire in Tazewell (one of the worst if not the worst field conditions I have ever witnessed). Grundy was clearly the superior team that year and ended up, ironically, being victims of terrible field conditions. 

1 hour ago, bucfan64 said:

Yes, it was One of the many reasons that Salem threw against a wall hoping something would stick. Bottom line was, they weren't traveling to Grundy, denied Grundy home field advantage, ended up playing on a quagmire in Tazewell (one of the worst if not the worst field conditions I have ever witnessed). Grundy was clearly the superior team that year and ended up, ironically, being victims of terrible field conditions. 

I was there. Grundy was the better team just couldn't punch it in.

That was a very solid Grundy team.  Coming off a Regional title the year before and running into a buzz-saw Amherst.  They returned a lot of talent that season led by D. Scammell and L. Owens and a host of other contributors.  Rowe did a great job during that time of utilizing his athletes.  Copenhaver was comparable to Blevins from Graham a few years ago.  He could play anywhere.

5 hours ago, CPF said:

I was there. Grundy was the better team just couldn't punch it in.

Same here.  I was at that game and remember setting on the Tazewell Home Side (Grundy).  Grundy was better.  Several missed opportunities to score inside the Salem 20 and Grundy bested Salem up front also.  Credit Salem for hanging in there, and one could argue the better team ALWAYS wins and that is fair, but watching that game, it really felt like Grundy outplayed Salem and was the better of the two.  I think...don't quote me on this, that this was Salem's first title in the long and storied run, and what was incredible that Salem had perhaps 4 better teams prior to 1996 that were better than the 1996 team, yet they didn't win it before 1996 (would have to go back to Andrew Lewis High if I'm not mistaken).