Gate City @ Ridgeview

SwvaOG

I'm surprised this one hasn't been posted yet as it appears to be a great matchup.  What are your thoughts on this one?  I'm assuming GC will be looking for some payback for last year's result.  I recall RV celebrating the win at mid-field on Legion Field for quite a long time and that didn't sit well with some of the GC fans.  Does GC get payback?  Can someone in the know give an update on the RV team health status?  I know they've been battling illness and injuries quite a bit the last couple of weeks.  

Said this earlier. GC has a reasonable chance to be the 3 seed in 2D and finish 7-3. I think RV wins, but GC certainly has a chance. Ridgeview can still chuck it, but not as aggressive in the air as the past 2 years which is GCs weakness (covering in space.) RV still has enough athletes in 2023 to be the difference and get the W, but GC has a legitimate chance. Calpreps predicts a 5 point win right now for the Ridge. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I'm surprised this one hasn't been posted yet as it appears to be a great matchup.  What are your thoughts on this one?  I'm assuming GC will be looking for some payback for last year's result.  I recall RV celebrating the win at mid-field on Legion Field for quite a long time and that didn't sit well with some of the GC fans.  Does GC get payback?  Can someone in the know give an update on the RV team health status?  I know they've been battling illness and injuries quite a bit the last couple of weeks.  

Depending on injury/sickness situation, it might end up being a barn burner. I’m not sure if anything really changes much regardless of which one wins. I’ll have to go look at the projection thread. Either way, I hope it’s a good game and both teams have a great showing to end regular season play. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

So does one end up 3rd & the other 5th with Tazewell most likely 4th ? 

Pretty much. I expect Gate City to take them to the wire. I honestly don’t know what I could say to justify a Ridgeview prediction other than overall size advantage on the line. 

13 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Pretty much. I expect Gate City to take them to the wire. I honestly don’t know what I could say to justify a Ridgeview prediction other than overall size advantage on the line. 

Smallest GC team I've seen in a long time on the LOS. They aren't bad, but they are undersized. Union exploited that. Just was way too physical up front.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:18 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Depending on injury/sickness situation, it might end up being a barn burner. I’m not sure if anything really changes much regardless of which one wins. I’ll have to go look at the projection thread. Either way, I hope it’s a good game and both teams have a great showing to end regular season play. 

Ridgeview is down a couple more starters. Don’t know how that happens in an off week but oh well. I’d say GC has a very good chance. Very bad year for RV regarding sickness and injury. 

9 hours ago, Observer said:

I've heard conflicting reports about a few players.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see who straps it up tonight.

Injuries and sickness have killed any chance RV had this year.  Hope O’Quinn’s injury isn’t too serious. Don’t like seeing anybody in a neck brace and hope it was all a precaution.  
GC played a good game tonight, but this was a really sloppy game.  It wasn’t until the 2nd half until you could get 3 or more plays in a row before a flag was thrown.  
A side note to the refs, if you are measuring for a 1st down, don’t pick the ball up and set it down again once the chain is stretched.  I’m sure there was a legitimate reason as to why they did it, but it looks really bad.  And you shouldn’t have to measure when you are walking off a penalty.  

To me this loss is worse than the Abingdon game.  Sure it doesn't help when you lose your best player in the first half but the coaching decisions have been atrocious.  When the people in the stands can call the play when they line up it's pretty bad.  They might as well wrap up this season now and work for the future.  Unfortunately, with Stanley at the helm, the future doesn't look too bright.  

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

From an outside perspective — I’d be livid with the admin in Dickinson Co. for running off a coach who is currently undefeated and one of a handful of favorites to make it to Salem. 

I have no reactions left but 💯 % on the money with this comment. If O’Quinn is out next week and Creasy is in, I don’t see the Wolfpack beating the Bulldogs. Tazewell can win this one if they’re focused and play smart even if O’Quinn plays. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

From an outside perspective — I’d be livid with the admin in Dickinson Co. for running off a coach who is currently undefeated and one of a handful of favorites to make it to Salem. 

A lot of us were. I’ve been pretty consistent with my thoughts about the events and it’s playing out like I warned about.

9 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

A lot of us were. I’ve been pretty consistent with my thoughts about the events and it’s playing out like I warned about.

Rick Mullins left the program in good hands and the school board office blew it all up.  Unfortunately, this election is not going to change anything.  The good ole boy network is alive and well!

We do need to give the GC coaching staff some credit.  They made a very simple adjustment getting out of the spread and going to the power I.  That along with the packs lack of discipline ensured their victory.