New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

On 1/10/2024 at 12:03 PM, FootballFan67 said:

He retired from TCPS, He's not retiring from football and will not be going to Richlands. He will still be coaching at Graham. 

Until I see his name submitted by Graham to the school board, I would bet money he would be returning to Richlands. The timing is too coincidental. 

14 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Until I see his name submitted by Graham to the school board, I would bet money he would be returning to Richlands. The timing is too coincidental. 

In my opinion, With the talent coming back, Graham may put out one of the best defenses since back in the 80's. Hard to think he would walk away from this. 

2 hours ago, jeffro said:

In my opinion, With the talent coming back, Graham may put out one of the best defenses since back in the 80's. Hard to think he would walk away from this. 

That’s my thought too. Leaving that in hopes of helping an 0-10 program rebound? It doesn’t make sense he’d leave Graham right now. I think Graham has all defensive starters back but one. That defense kept Radford on their toes in the state semifinals. If they put in the work during the off-season like they have been, they will be a force to be reckoned with in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

That’s my thought too. Leaving that in hopes of helping an 0-10 program rebound? It doesn’t make sense he’d leave Graham right now. I think Graham has all defensive starters back but one. That defense kept Radford on their toes in the state semifinals. If they put in the work during the off-season like they have been, they will be a force to be reckoned with in my opinion. 

He may or may not come back. No one really knows yet. But the allure of coming back to help an 0-10 program is to come back home to coach with your brother and help your brother turn an 0-10 program around. I know if I was in his shoes and had the chance to work with my brother, I'd be leaving, personally. 

19 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

How much money are we talking? 😂😂😂😂 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

He may or may not come back. No one really knows yet. But the allure of coming back to help an 0-10 program is to come back home to coach with your brother and help your brother turn an 0-10 program around. I know if I was in his shoes and had the chance to work with my brother, I'd be leaving, personally. 

If the end game was to coach together again, wouldn’t Coach Davis have just stayed at Graham? I could be wrong but I just see Snake as being too loyal and dedicated to just up and leave Graham. 

11 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If the end game was to coach together again, wouldn’t Coach Davis have just stayed at Graham? I could be wrong but I just see Snake as being too loyal and dedicated to just up and leave Graham. 

I’m not speculating because why leave a good thing? Coach Davis is likely not the head coach at Graham, and I believe ultimately that is his goal to be a head coach. It’s extra special to do so at your home and alma mater. Coach Davis lives in the Richlands area, so gas money and commute are economical reasons as well.  

3 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I’m not speculating because why leave a good thing? Coach Davis is likely not the head coach at Graham, and I believe ultimately that is his goal to be a head coach. It’s extra special to do so at your home and alma mater. Coach Davis lives in the Richlands area, so gas money and commute are economical reasons as well.  

All valid points. I think Snake’s goal is probably to help the GMen get back to state and win it again at some point. He strikes as one who stays the course and would probably still be at Richlands if Mance hadn’t let him go. I guess all of the speculation will end soon! Hasn’t strength & conditioning started? If Dennis Palmer is retiring at the end of the month , I would fully expect to see him down at Richlands come February in the afternoons if he’s leaving Graham. You do drive by at Ernie Hicks come February and I’ll drive by Graham and we can compare notes 😂😂😂

All valid points. I think Snake’s goal is probably to help the GMen get back to state and win it again at some point. He strikes as one who stays the course and would probably still be at Richlands if Mance hadn’t let him go. I guess all of the speculation will end soon! Hasn’t strength & conditioning started? If Dennis Palmer is retiring at the end of the month , I would fully expect to see him down at Richlands come February in the afternoons. You do drive bus at Ernie Hicks come February and I’ll drive by Graham and we can compare notes 😂😂😂

Can we pay him NIL money to stay put?

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

All valid points. I think Snake’s goal is probably to help the GMen get back to state and win it again at some point. He strikes as one who stays the course and would probably still be at Richlands if Mance hadn’t let him go. I guess all of the speculation will end soon! Hasn’t strength & conditioning started? If Dennis Palmer is retiring at the end of the month , I would fully expect to see him down at Richlands come February in the afternoons if he’s leaving Graham. You do drive by at Ernie Hicks come February and I’ll drive by Graham and we can compare notes 😂😂😂

Sounds like a plan. My prediction is based upon what I think, is that he stays put. I haven’t talked to him in a while, but it’s not so easy to pick up and move when you have a family to think about, even when other family is involved. Hypothetically, if a choice is to be made between spouse and child vs parent or sibling, it’s wise to choose the former. I continue to wish him success in retirement no matter what he chooses. I would happily welcome him with open arms if he chooses to return.

I personally don't see Dennis leaving Graham, but I've been wrong many times in my 70 years if life.  I would like to see him back at Richlands because I think his defensive coaching skills played a big part in the good teams that Mance had while he was HC.  Offense is fun to watch, but as the saying goes, defense wins championships.  Come to Richlands or stay at Graham, eitherr way, I wish him the best in his retirement.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:37 PM, Stelley said:

Seems to be that he did that for Lebanons core sophomore class. Numerous rumors were circulating that 2-3 of Lebanons sophomores were going to transfer if he stayed. Sorry Richlands fans but it looks that Reece will be staying

Let’s all hope Davis has a plan B 

Anyone know if weight lifting has began.  One would think with the new HC the first thing would be to get every potential participant into the weight roon as soon as possible.  I know the weather is terrible, but does anyone have any word on assistants?

I think that’s because it started with speculation of who the head coach will be, and now that it’s decided, the speculation is about staff since Ronnie Davis is a done deal. 

I think earlier, I touted on his experience and knowledge sharing with his peers at both Richlands and Graham are certainly assets. He’s had success as a softball coach in the past, and while blessed with talent, a state title is still very difficult. 

I believe he is eager and kids will like him and respect him. I’m confident he knows his stuff, but not being in his position group very early, I can’t vouch specifically. He really wanted this job, and I believe he certainly gives it his all.

6 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

It's quite interesting that folks are talking not about what Davis brings to the table, but what D. Palmer would bring to the table after this hire.  

I think from the perspective of Richlands folks the talk of Dennis Palmer is merely in the form of wishful thinking. They know firsthand the success Richlands had with him as defensive coordinator and maybe a bit of nostalgia. 

With the exception of a few, most of the people in Richlands are excited about Davis and his ability to right the ship.

Someone referenced the state championship in softball under him. Without Osborne as pitcher, I don’t think that would have happened just like without Compton, I don’t think Tazewell wins either. No knock on either head coach both are quality guys but sometimes talent can win a championship regardless of head coach in a sport like softball. 

I think from the perspective of Richlands folks the talk of Dennis Palmer is merely in the form of wishful thinking. They know firsthand the success Richlands had with him as defensive coordinator and maybe a bit of nostalgia. 

With the exception of a few, most of the people in Richlands are excited about Davis and his ability to right the ship.

Someone referenced the state championship in softball under him. Without Osborne as pitcher, I don’t think that would have happened just like without Compton, I don’t think Tazewell wins either. No knock on either head coach both are quality guys but sometimes talent can win a championship regardless of head coach in a sport like softball. 

Spot on. I agree in that it takes both coaching and talent. That’s why it’s so difficult to separate the two, even in football. 
Softball is definitely the sport where you can ride a talented pitcher all the way to a title, but a lot still must go right. 
It’s likely more common the most successful teams are the most talented and not just well coached. That’s why I have such a hard time as an outsider judging how good of a coach many of the local legends are comparatively. Many are probably good program builders or managers that generate excitement and support. I think many are simply at a point to “not mess it up.”
As far as coaching is concerned for reference, I believe that the Mance staff’s best coaching jobs were probably 2008 or the River Michael’s/Zeke Vance led teams. They certainly were not as talented as the state title or runner up teams, but probably maximized the talent available. I believe Ronnie Davis was present on both staffs. 

3 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Spot on. I agree in that it takes both coaching and talent. That’s why it’s so difficult to separate the two, even in football. 
Softball is definitely the sport where you can ride a talented pitcher all the way to a title, but a lot still must go right. 
It’s likely more common the most successful teams are the most talented and not just well coached. That’s why I have such a hard time as an outsider judging how good of a coach many of the local legends are comparatively. Many are probably good program builders or managers that generate excitement and support. I think many are simply at a point to “not mess it up.”
As far as coaching is concerned for reference, I believe that the Mance staff’s best coaching jobs were probably 2008 or the River Michael’s/Zeke Vance led teams. They certainly were not as talented as the state title or runner up teams, but probably maximized the talent available. I believe Ronnie Davis was present on both staffs. 

I could not agree with this more! At the small school level there is always going to be a team or two that are more stacked than the rest. Graham Union riverheads all come to mind. I think the true measure of a coach is taking a traditional 2 or 3 win team and coaching them to a playoff appearance every year even if those playoff appearances never make it past the second round. If someone gets the Northwood job and they all of a sudden put those kids in the playoffs on a yearly basis that is a great coaching job. The turn around that Rye Cove has had is an example of an amazing coaching job! If that continues past the next 2 years than put Collier in the hall of fame

On 1/19/2024 at 8:27 AM, Tru Blue72 said:

Anyone know if weight lifting has began.  One would think with the new HC the first thing would be to get every potential participant into the weight roon as soon as possible.  I know the weather is terrible, but does anyone have any word on assistants?

Ain’t he busy coaching basketball right now and when I say coaching I mean getting the shit kick out of them. Lebanon scored over a 100 points on them last night. I’m no Einstein but why in the world would that kid from Lebanon consider transferring to Richlands. You people better hope Ronnie Davis is a better football coach than basketball because that was downright painful to watch last night. 

2 hours ago, Smitty said:

Ain’t he busy coaching basketball right now and when I say coaching I mean getting the shit kick out of them. Lebanon scored over a 100 points on them last night. I’m no Einstein but why in the world would that kid from Lebanon consider transferring to Richlands. You people better hope Ronnie Davis is a better football coach than basketball because that was downright painful to watch last night. 

Richlands has never been good at Basketball, win a few, lose a few.  It's crazy in SWD Richlands beats Graham, Tazewell beats Richlands, then Graham beats Tazewell.  Lebanon has had quite a few good basketball teams with some good talent over the years.  I think Davis is a better softball and football coach than a Basketball coach, but the talent in SWD when it comes to basketball is not up to par with other areas, never was and probably never will be.

2 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Richlands has never been good at Basketball, win a few, lose a few.  It's crazy in SWD Richlands beats Graham, Tazewell beats Richlands, then Graham beats Tazewell.  Lebanon has had quite a few good basketball teams with some good talent over the years.  I think Davis is a better softball and football coach than a Basketball coach, but the talent in SWD when it comes to basketball is not up to par with other areas, never was and probably never will be.

Graham didn’t get beat by Richlands. As I mentioned on another thread the only time our area can compete with larger areas is by building all star super teams. The only state championship team I can remember to win without help of transfer were Lebanons two state championship teams. VHSL needs to revamp the whole classification system. Kids around here don’t have a choice of what school they want to go to unless they want to drive 35-45 extra minutes. Meanwhile some of my buddies out east have 2-3 schools of every single classification out there that they can send their children to.

4 hours ago, Smitty said:

That was more or less his only school he could have transferred to with his dad still being able to pull some of the strings (just rumors). Think Lebanon also wanted to send a message by running the score up bc someone said the coach had been taking Reece out to lunch😂