New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

On 1/24/2024 at 5:58 AM, Smitty said:

Ain’t he busy coaching basketball right now and when I say coaching I mean getting the shit kick out of them. Lebanon scored over a 100 points on them last night. I’m no Einstein but why in the world would that kid from Lebanon consider transferring to Richlands. You people better hope Ronnie Davis is a better football coach than basketball because that was downright painful to watch last night. 

Lebanon hung over 100 on Richlands, dang! I just can’t see the Reece kid leaving Lebanon for Richlands unless there’s some kind of sweet deal to entice him. 😂😂😂 Just kidding but doesn’t he play baseball? They were state champs. Do leave a successful program in one sport to help build a recently unsuccessful one at another school? 

22 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Richlands has never been good at Basketball, win a few, lose a few.  It's crazy in SWD Richlands beats Graham, Tazewell beats Richlands, then Graham beats Tazewell.  Lebanon has had quite a few good basketball teams with some good talent over the years.  I think Davis is a better softball and football coach than a Basketball coach, but the talent in SWD when it comes to basketball is not up to par with other areas, never was and probably never will be.

Right now Richlands isn’t good at basketball, football, baseball or soccer. Sorry man, not sure what’s going on there, but I can only imagine that every coach, player and fan that left Lebanon the other night, left humiliated. Even if they’ve never been good at basketball, no one should take a beating like that, kids deserve better. Who is going to apply for the basketball job. I bet Ronnie Davis is feeling like a big fool at this very minute for banking on the Lebanon kid to help pull Richlands out of their downward football spiral. 

2 hours ago, Smitty said:

Right now Richlands isn’t good at basketball, football, baseball or soccer. Sorry man, not sure what’s going on there, but I can only imagine that every coach, player and fan that left Lebanon the other night, left humiliated. Even if they’ve never been good at basketball, no one should take a beating like that, kids deserve better. Who is going to apply for the basketball job. I bet Ronnie Davis is feeling like a big fool at this very minute for banking on the Lebanon kid to help pull Richlands out of their downward football spiral. 

Everything is a cycle. It’ll all come back around. There’s a group of young kids that are successful that in the next decade will be in high school and the pendulum hopefully swings back the other way. 

6 hours ago, Smitty said:

I highly doubt Ronnie made this decision based off a kid from another school.  I doubt that was a factor at all.  We learned something this year.  If you build a culture and work on developing your kids you can win.  The college football national championship showed us what player development and culture looks like.  It is this simple.  If Davis rolls up his sleeves and puts in the work, stays positive but holds his kids' accountable he will turn it around.  If he asks the same of his assistants and stays away from daddy/buddy ball, he will turn it around. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I highly doubt Ronnie made this decision based off a kid from another school.  I doubt that was a factor at all.  We learned something this year.  If you build a culture and work on developing your kids you can win.  The college football national championship showed us what player development and culture looks like.  It is this simple.  If Davis rolls up his sleeves and puts in the work, stays positive but holds his kids' accountable he will turn it around.  If he asks the same of his assistants and stays away from daddy/buddy ball, he will turn it around. 

Totally agree with this.  Now the other part falls on the fans and the parents.  Don't expect a miracle, Davis should not be expected to turn the program around next year or even two years.  Culture building takes time, and the parents and fans must buy into the understanding that the least improvement from last year is a step in the right direction.  Parents, back off and let the coach be the coach, that means being realistic about you childs talent level.  Fans, back off and stop the critisism everytime you feel the coach isn't doing things your way.  It takes a village to raise a child and it will take the RHS community to turn this program around.  Support the coach, even if you feel that you could do a better job, afterall, you didn't throw your hat into the ring when the position was open.  We all need to come together and give this thing time. In three or four years, if we're still where we are now, then Kattie bar the door, but as for now, PATIENCE AND SUPPORT  is what's needed.

14 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Are there any updates on staff approvals? 

Haven't heard of any and probably won't until basketball is over since Davis is busy coaching the BB team.  Hope to hear something next month for sure.

6 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Haven't heard of any and probably won't until basketball is over since Davis is busy coaching the BB team.  Hope to hear something next month for sure.

This.  The guy has commitments currently and it definitely working on assembling a staff.  I think you'll see something in the next couple of weeks and some of those decisions have already been made. 

20 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

This.  The guy has commitments currently and it definitely working on assembling a staff.  I think you'll see something in the next couple of weeks and some of those decisions have already been made. 

Hope this happens.  Won't be long til the 7 on 7's takes place.  the projected players need to be in the weight room, hope that's happeneinng now rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/25/2024 at 7:21 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Everything is a cycle. It’ll all come back around. There’s a group of young kids that are successful that in the next decade will be in high school and the pendulum hopefully swings back the other way. 

Might take a minute longer.  If that's a cycle,  the chain came off,  boys got split on the bar!

13 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Does anyone, anywhere, have any insside information on the assistants?

I'm thinking they'll announce assistants next month after the next school board meeting.  Several new staff with a few holdovers...well, counting HC as "new" since he is new to that role.  

• 2 weeks later...

Brother Lance. Uncle Percy says it’s about time to shutdown these topic and lock it away. The critics have expounded their thoughts and concerns. The “experts” have voiced their “expert” opinions. The head coach has been discussed, asst coaches’ names have been tossed around along with discussions on “recruiting” and other topics. As always, when it comes to Richlands, The Mayor of the Trailer Park has made the most sense. However, after 25 pages, 614 comments and 51k views Uncle Percy just laughs. He said “Out of this commenting there’s no Paul Harveys that know the rest of the story”.  Mayor, Uncle Percy says you’re probably the closest. See folks, Uncle Percy knows something the rest of us don’t and he’s not talking. He won’t even tell Cousin Claude and they both belong to one of those secret societies with about 13 - 15 handshakes and upteem pass words. So Bother Lance, Uncle Percy says if these people haven’t figured it out yet, they probably never will, except maybe the Mayor. So lock her down and turn out the lights as Dandy Don used to sing.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:28 AM, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Brother Lance. Uncle Percy says it’s about time to shutdown these topic and lock it away. The critics have expounded their thoughts and concerns. The “experts” have voiced their “expert” opinions. The head coach has been discussed, asst coaches’ names have been tossed around along with discussions on “recruiting” and other topics. As always, when it comes to Richlands, The Mayor of the Trailer Park has made the most sense. However, after 25 pages, 614 comments and 51k views Uncle Percy just laughs. He said “Out of this commenting there’s no Paul Harveys that know the rest of the story”.  Mayor, Uncle Percy says you’re probably the closest. See folks, Uncle Percy knows something the rest of us don’t and he’s not talking. He won’t even tell Cousin Claude and they both belong to one of those secret societies with about 13 - 15 handshakes and upteem pass words. So Bother Lance, Uncle Percy says if these people haven’t figured it out yet, they probably never will, except maybe the Mayor. So lock her down and turn out the lights as Dandy Don used to sing.

Not to be in disagreement, but us old RHS fans are not through with this thread yet.  Come on now, we haven't had to chance to voice our opinion on the assistant coaches, or what we think they will do to help the HC.  At least give us until after the beginning of 7 on 7's to try to swallow what TCSB may come up with as to the assistants.

7 on 7, west coast offense. This is not something new. Uncle Percy said this was what they played during lunch and recess  during the 1960s in elementary school. Good man to man defense could shut down most of these passing attacks because the QBs get locked on one receiver on the play call. They’re too slow on their other reads and by then a good pass rush has flushed them, put them on the ground, or forced a bad pass. Look what happen to Lebanon @ Grundy 2 years ago. In the playoffs when they faced a good pass rush, 32 - 0

1 hour ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Did the TCSB conduct their meeting this week, or is it next week?  Would like to have information on the RHS assistant football coaches.  Has anyone heard anything official?

I didn’t see any fall athletic appointments on the minutes for March 11th, probably next time fall may be appointed. 

• 1 month later...

On 4/19/2024 at 1:46 PM, Tru Blue72 said:

Anyone have information on assistants, or is it a one man coaching team?

Well, Bubba Edwards as the OC.  No word on DC unless Ronnie takes it himself.  I think he has experience as a DC.  So the "top 3" positions could already be set.  Edwards will be the QB coach...or at least he was at his previous stops. 

So, not sure of the LB, RB, DL, OL, etc. I thought there was some carry over from a few of last year's staff.  I think Breeding returns as RB coach...not sure if he coaches defense.  Also, I think Ronnie has OL experience...so maybe he works with that position on offense. That's a lot of work for one man, though.